Prophecies

TK

Prophecies

Post by TK » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:17 pm

What should I take (today) from reading prophetic passages that were fulfilled thousands of years ago, other than an assurance that the prophets were truly men of God?

Further, there are "pet" verses that people have taken from prophetic passages as being applicable to us today.. Jer. 29:11 being a classic one:

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Obviously these words were meant for a specific people at a specific time.

Do we have a "right" to take these verses out of context and apply them in a blanket fashion today?

TK

steve7150

Re: Prophecies

Post by steve7150 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:13 pm

.. Jer. 29:11 being a classic one:

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Obviously these words were meant for a specific people at a specific time.

Do we have a "right" to take these verses out of context and apply them in a blanket fashion today?

Not a right, but we should read these with discernment and see if it matches up with God's character as revealed by Jesus. For example in Jer 29.11 the word "prosper" is interpreted in different ways by bible teachers.

Return to “General Bible Discussion”