any recommendations for bible study...

alastairblake

any recommendations for bible study...

Post by alastairblake » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:17 pm

I'm looking for a few pages of info on each book of the bible that will prime my mind before I dive in. maybe like some historical background, and some info on where man may be in relation to God in the book. I'd like to better understand the overarching story of the Bible. there are many things that the hearers of Jesus would have understood in the NT that I miss because I don't know much about Israel and their customs.

I know many study bibles say some things... just checking to see what you all have found helpful.

backwoodsman
Location: Not quite at the ends of the earth, but you can see it from here.

Re: any recommendations for bible study...

Post by backwoodsman » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:07 pm

Maybe a Halley's Bible Handbook? Don't know if you've seen those -- it's sort of a mini-commentary, and has some basic info on each book, as well as lots of other useful info. They can be had for $4-$5 used online. I usually get the large print edition, not for the print size but because some of the newer regular-print editions are small fat books that are hard to hold open for very long.

verbatim

Post by verbatim » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:32 pm

Hi alastairblake greetings,
I recommend you no other book but the Holy Bible alone just pray to God to guide you in learning his words and I'll give you some helpful verse.
2 Corinthians 11: 4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

Jesus which is in you is the Spirit that gives you life, he was in all men, he comes to his own and his own received him not; John 1:4, 1:9, 1:14 and John 1:26
John 1:26 John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not; and Jesus preached to us in John 12:36 While ye have light, believe in the light, that ye may be the children of light. These things spake Jesus, and departed, and did hide himself from them.

And the light which is in you is John 1:4-5 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

This life or Spirit dwelt in every man John 1:9-11 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
And a man failed to received him he could only learn the theology of man or theology of religion.
Thanks and God bless.
your brother in Christ virgilio
How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth! Isaiah 52:7

steve

Post by steve » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:37 am

Halley's Handbook is good, and Unger's Handbook is similar. These are not books that teach the theology of man. They give the background information that you are asking about.

backwoodsman

Post by backwoodsman » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:56 am

I don't know why I only thought of Halley's before. Some of the commentaries I use have intros to each book that you might find helpful; in particular, Matthew Henry, Barnes, and Jamieson-Fausset-Brown. Checking a couple of the online Bible study sites, for some reason only JFB's intro is there, but Sword Project's Bible software has the others.

International Standard Bible Encyclopedia may have more info than you're looking for, but it's a very good resource. The older version is available free online or in the Sword Project.

alastairblake

Post by alastairblake » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:10 pm

THANKS GUYS!

alastairblake

Post by alastairblake » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:14 pm

the reviews for "The New Unger's Bible Handbook" on amazon look encouraging. maybe ill give that a shot.

backwoodsman

Post by backwoodsman » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:41 pm

alastairblake wrote:the reviews for "The New Unger's Bible Handbook" on amazon look encouraging. maybe ill give that a shot.
I don't know what's "new" about the New Unger's, but I often find I like the old books better, and they're certainly cheaper:
http://www.bookfinder4u.com/IsbnSearch. ... 0802490395

...and here's Halley's:
http://www.bookfinder4u.com/IsbnSearch. ... 0310257271

alastairblake

Post by alastairblake » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:40 pm

thanks!

Return to “General Bible Discussion”