Sabbath breaking

KyleB

Sabbath breaking

Post by KyleB » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:57 am

For the purposes of this question, let's assume that in Mt 12:1-8, Jesus' disciples were in fact breaking the Sabbath. I know there is much debate over this point, but that is not where I'm going with this and I don't want to derail the question.

I am looking at Mt 12:1-8 along with Num 15:32-36.

In Matthew, Jesus says that His disciples (as well as David) were not to be condemned because there was a higher consideration at stake (mercy for being hungry). However in Numbers, the man gathering sticks was stoned to death. While it is clear in Numbers that God told Moses to stone the man, and therefore God knew the man's heart and it was the right for Moses to do so, I don't see how the Pharisees would be expected to know what was in the hearts of Jesus' disciples. Also, neither David nor the disciples seemed to be at death's door due to starvation, they surely could have made it another day without food, so it's not as if lives were at stake. In other places in scripture, serving our stomachs is looked down upon, and is not a valid reason for forsaking God's law.

I guess what I'm wondering is:

1) How was David so sure that what he was doing was okay in God's eyes?
2) How would I (if living in OT) know when I could break ceremonial law? I'd be awfully scared recalling the account in Num 15, I don't know if I could feel okay going out on a limb so to speak.

Bud

Re: Sabbath breaking

Post by Bud » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:18 pm

Hi Kyle, you wrote:
I guess what I'm wondering is:

1) How was David so sure that what he was doing was okay in God's eyes?
2) How would I (if living in OT) know when I could break ceremonial law? I'd be awfully scared recalling the account in Num 15, I don't know if I could feel okay going out on a limb so to speak.
1) the Bible says, David was a man after Gods own heart. The answer, I believe lies there.

2) David was very brave (eg. killing a lion, a bear, a giant, a leader in war) and, David was a man after God's own heart.

Those are my thoughts,
God bless you and yours :)
Malachi 3:16 Then those who feared the LORD spoke to one another, and the LORD gave attention and heard [it,] and a book of remembrance was written before Him for those who fear the LORD and who esteem His name. (NASB) :)

KyleB

Post by KyleB » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:14 pm

Bud wrote: 2) David was very brave (eg. killing a lion, a bear, a giant, a leader in war) and, David was a man after God's own heart.
You're right, David did have a certain recklessness that was used for both good and ill in his lifetime.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:38 pm

David didn't seem very concerned about God's wishes when he copultated with Bathsheba, and then, when he learned that he had impregnated her, sent her husband to the front lines of his army so that he would be killed in war.

I know. David repented and was forgiven. But my point is that it may not be appropriate to use David as a model for determining when the laws of God may be broken with impunity.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

steve

Post by steve » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:11 pm

I agree with Paidion that David cannot always be trusted as a good example. However, I think Jesus' remarks about the shewbread, in their context (Matt.12:1ff), suggest that David's eating the bread was justified, in that case. David was a prophet, and knew that some things commanded in the law (in particular, the ritual things) were less important than were others (e.g., Psalm 40:6-8; 51:16-17). In this respect, later prophets also confirmed his thinking (e.g., Isaiah 1:11-17; Micah 6:8; Hosea 6:6).

Return to “General Bible Discussion”