The New Covenant and Capital Punishment; Are they Compatible

JacobMartinMertens

Re: The New Covenant and Capital Punishment; Are they Compat

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Mon May 02, 2016 7:20 pm

mattrose wrote:
JacobMartinMertens wrote:The new covenant was made with the house of Israel and the house of Judah.
The New Covenant was made with disciples of Jesus Christ (aka, the church) who were Jewish, but ultimately included Jewish and Gentile believers (aka, again, the church).
Jeremiah 31:31 NASB - 31 "Behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah,
John 1:41, 49 NASB - 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Mon May 02, 2016 7:55 pm

Do you think that I am disagreeing with that verse?

Yes, the covenant was with Jewish people. Other Scriptures make clear that Gentiles would also be included. The whole of the New Covenant Scriptures makes entirely clear that the members of this covenant are all those who respond positively to Jesus Christ, the Messiah. All those who respond positively to Jesus may also be referred to as the Church.

JacobMartinMertens

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Mon May 02, 2016 8:09 pm

mattrose wrote:Do you think that I am disagreeing with that verse?

Yes, the covenant was with Jewish people. Other Scriptures make clear that Gentiles would also be included. The whole of the New Covenant Scriptures makes entirely clear that the members of this covenant are all those who respond positively to Jesus Christ, the Messiah. All those who respond positively to Jesus may also be referred to as the Church.
Can you answer these? I mentioned the house of Israel and the house of Judah, as well as the new covenant (which came to the house of Israel and the house of Judah in Jesus the Messiah).

Acts 7:38 NASB - 38 "This is the one who was in the congregation in the wilderness together with the angel who was speaking to him on Mount Sinai, and who was with our fathers; and he received living oracles to pass on to you.

Matthew 21:43 NASB - 43 "Therefore I say to you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people, producing the fruit of it.

Matthew 23:3 NASB - 3 therefore all that they tell you, do and observe, but do not do according to their deeds; for they say things and do not do them.
John 1:41, 49 NASB - 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Mon May 02, 2016 8:16 pm

JacobMartinMertens wrote: Can you answer these? I mentioned the house of Israel and the house of Judah, as well as the new covenant (which came to the house of Israel and the house of Judah in Jesus the Messiah).

Acts 7:38 NASB - 38 "This is the one who was in the congregation in the wilderness together with the angel who was speaking to him on Mount Sinai, and who was with our fathers; and he received living oracles to pass on to you.

Matthew 21:43 NASB - 43 "Therefore I say to you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people, producing the fruit of it.

Matthew 23:3 NASB - 3 therefore all that they tell you, do and observe, but do not do according to their deeds; for they say things and do not do them.
Answer them? They are not questions.

JacobMartinMertens

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Mon May 02, 2016 8:23 pm

mattrose wrote:
JacobMartinMertens wrote: Can you answer these? I mentioned the house of Israel and the house of Judah, as well as the new covenant (which came to the house of Israel and the house of Judah in Jesus the Messiah).

Answer them? They are not questions.
No, but what you presented was the question. I don't believe you are saying the church has replaced Israel, but was there a church in the wilderness? Was the kingdom of God taken away from particular religious leaders and not Israel or Jews as a whole? Yes, Gentiles are included, but not as a separate entity whether to replace Israel while being called the church or not. We are indeed to observe God's Law as Jesus commanded us.

Is the house of Israel and the house of Judah the church?

Matthew 5:17-20 NASB - 17 "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18 "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 "Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 "For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 23:23 NASB - 23 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier provisions of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness; but these are the things you should have done without neglecting the others.

Luke 11:42 NASB - 42 "But woe to you Pharisees! For you pay tithe of mint and rue and every kind of garden herb, and yet disregard justice and the love of God; but these are the things you should have done without neglecting the others.

Matthew 28:18-20 NASB - 18 And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

To answer them was as if they were being used incorrectly. Never mind about that. We both believe all of scripture. We should interpret scripture in light of scripture.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Mon May 02, 2016 8:40 pm

JacobMartinMertens wrote: I don't believe you are saying the church has replaced Israel,

Israel was not replaced. Believing Jews were given a new covenant and believing Gentiles were welcomed into that covenant. Those believing Jews and Gentiles collectively can be referred to as the church. They may also be referred to as true Israel.
but was there a church in the wilderness?
Well that's obviously anachronistic in terms of language.
Was the kingdom of God taken away from particular religious leaders and not Israel or Jews as a whole?

Jews who rejected Jesus were excluded from the Kingdom while Jews who followed Jesus were included in the Kingdom.
Yes, Gentiles are included, but not as a separate entity whether to replace Israel while being called the church or not.

I agree. Gentiles are included, but not a separate entity. Believing Jews and Gentiles are collectively The Church.
We are indeed to observe God's Law as Jesus commanded us.
I would embrace this statement, but likely mean something different than you do by it.

What Jesus commanded us is God's Law for the New Covenant (since Jesus is, after all, divine). But this does not include every law from the earlier covenants. Some of those laws were foreshadowing of Jesus and were fulfilled by Jesus and are therefore obsolete. Other Old Testament laws were pertaining to the theocratic nation of Israel and, since the New Covenant created a new nation (and Israel was no longer autonomous anyways!) those laws were voided as well. Moral laws, of course, flow from the character of Christ and are, obviously, still in force.

So yes, Jesus didn't come to abolish the law. He came to fulfill the law. And what 'fulfill' means, practically, differs depending on what type of law we're talking about. In many cases 'fulfilling' a law meant bringing it to its intended end. In other cases it meant living it out perfectly.
Again, believing Jews and believing Gentiles are, collectively, the church. Do you disagree with this? It seems entirely clear from Scripture.

JacobMartinMertens

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Mon May 02, 2016 8:57 pm

mattrose wrote:
JacobMartinMertens wrote: I don't believe you are saying the church has replaced Israel,

Israel was not replaced. Believing Jews were given a new covenant and believing Gentiles were welcomed into that covenant. Those believing Jews and Gentiles collectively can be referred to as the church. They may also be referred to as true Israel.
but was there a church in the wilderness?
Well that's obviously anachronistic in terms of language.
Was the kingdom of God taken away from particular religious leaders and not Israel or Jews as a whole?

Jews who rejected Jesus were excluded from the Kingdom while Jews who followed Jesus were included in the Kingdom.
Yes, Gentiles are included, but not as a separate entity whether to replace Israel while being called the church or not.

I agree. Gentiles are included, but not a separate entity. Believing Jews and Gentiles are collectively The Church.
We are indeed to observe God's Law as Jesus commanded us.
I would embrace this statement, but likely mean something different than you do by it.

What Jesus commanded us is God's Law for the New Covenant (since Jesus is, after all, divine). But this does not include every law from the earlier covenants. Some of those laws were foreshadowing of Jesus and were fulfilled by Jesus and are therefore obsolete. Other Old Testament laws were pertaining to the theocratic nation of Israel and, since the New Covenant created a new nation (and Israel was no longer autonomous anyways!) those laws were voided as well. Moral laws, of course, flow from the character of Christ and are, obviously, still in force.

So yes, Jesus didn't come to abolish the law. He came to fulfill the law. And what 'fulfill' means, practically, differs depending on what type of law we're talking about. In many cases 'fulfilling' a law meant bringing it to its intended end. In other cases it meant living it out perfectly.
Again, believing Jews and believing Gentiles are, collectively, the church. Do you disagree with this? It seems entirely clear from Scripture.
I accept that the church which was once entirely Jewish came to have Gentiles in it. Or Gentiles became a part of Israel.

Whether a person is a proselyte to Israel or Judaism, or a convert or not, may be a factor in their observance or non-observance of the whole of Jewish law, the Law of Moses or not. Many Gentiles in the church or those who were formerly Gentiles and are now in the church instead as believers, observe fewer of God's commands than others. But this doesn't change the Law, God's Law, the Law of Moses. As for Torah law (the Law of Moses or all law in Torah, even by proper extension or application beginning with Israel and even unto Gentile God fearing nations be they possible Theologically (all of God's Law is moral and Jewish ethics make sense in light of Torah while ethics in general in society are founded upon or based upon God's Law as foundation) whether this be specific application halachically or a fence around the law (I view this in a good light)) we have God's laws in all five books of the Torah and the Torah or God's instruction extends to other scripture and Jewish writings and oral tradition or oral traditions. When we speak of the covenants there is more in Torah than Abraham and Moses. We have Adam and Noah as well. Can we think of others? There are laws associated with the covenants found in Torah. What about the rest of scripture even to include the new covenant?

Is there law associated with the new covenant? Does it contradict old covenant law? The old covenant, or old covenant law, came about or involved and was in Moses the prophet, and directly from God, to the nation of Israel as a whole.

Jeremiah 31:31-34 NASB - 31 "Behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, 32 not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them," declares the LORD. 33 "But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the LORD, "I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 "They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them," declares the LORD, "for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more."

Matthew 5:17-20 NASB - 17 "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18 "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 "Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 "For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Romans 3:19 NASB - 19 Now we know that whatever the Law says, it speaks to those who are under the Law, so that every mouth may be closed and all the world may become accountable to God;

Ephesians 2:14-16 NASB - 14 For He Himself is our peace, who made both groups into one and broke down the barrier of the dividing wall, 15 by abolishing in His flesh the enmity, which is the Law of commandments contained in ordinances, so that in Himself He might make the two into one new man, thus establishing peace, 16 and might reconcile them both in one body to God through the cross, by it having put to death the enmity.

Hebrews 8:13 NASB - 13 When He said, "A new covenant," He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon May 02, 2016 11:00 pm

Is there law associated with the new covenant? Does it contradict old covenant law?
Jacob, in Matthew 5 it is recorded that Jesus said over and over, "It was said to those of old... but I tell you ..."

Jesus didn't say "God said to those of old" or even "Moses said to those of old" but merely "It was said to those of old."
And that word "but" indicates that what He was about to tell them was quite different from what was said to those of old.
When we examine what Jesus told them, it is obvious his instructions were very different indeed.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

JacobMartinMertens

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Tue May 03, 2016 8:10 am

Paidion wrote:
Is there law associated with the new covenant? Does it contradict old covenant law?
Jacob, in Matthew 5 it is recorded that Jesus said over and over, "It was said to those of old... but I tell you ..."

Jesus didn't say "God said to those of old" or even "Moses said to those of old" but merely "It was said to those of old."
And that word "but" indicates that what He was about to tell them was quite different from what was said to those of old.
When we examine what Jesus told them, it is obvious his instructions were very different indeed.
Consider the following "but I say to you" statements of Jesus from Matthew 5, among others found in Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. That which is in bold comes from scripture or originated with scripture. Note that the scripture is not all that the ancients were told, or that Jesus' audience had heard, or what had been said. The scriptures need to be understood correctly, and I believe Jesus helped others to have a correct understanding of the scriptures they had heard or known about and that which had been said either about these scriptures or in relation to the content of these scriptures. I believe Jesus was an expert at explaining scripture. But that is not all that He was explaining here. He explained wrong views of those scriptures, and He explained how these scriptures should be understood and how His audience (which can now include us) should understand God's intent in these scriptures beyond what may or may not have already been understood. That is, I don't believe Jesus spoke against Moses here. It's not necessarily that the instructions of Jesus were different (being opposed) but that they explained or elucidated the truth of God in and of His word. I don't believe Jesus added truth that wasn't there, but that He did explain God's truth in regard to common conceptions or perceptions, even of and about scripture. Meaning, Jesus taught God's word in truth.

Matthew 5:21-48 NASB - 21 "You have heard that the ancients were told, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT MURDER' and 'Whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court.' 22 "But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, 'You good-for-nothing,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell. 23 "Therefore if you are presenting your offering at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your offering there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and present your offering. 25 "Make friends quickly with your opponent at law while you are with him on the way, so that your opponent may not hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the officer, and you be thrown into prison. 26 "Truly I say to you, you will not come out of there until you have paid up the last cent. 27 "You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY'; 28 but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 "If your right eye makes you stumble, tear it out and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30 "If your right hand makes you stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to go into hell. 31 "It was said, 'WHOEVER SENDS HIS WIFE AWAY, LET HIM GIVE HER A CERTIFICATE OF DIVORCE'; 32 but I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except for the reason of unchastity, makes her commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery. 33 "Again, you have heard that the ancients were told, 'YOU SHALL NOT MAKE FALSE VOWS, BUT SHALL FULFILL YOUR VOWS TO THE LORD.' 34 "But I say to you, make no oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, 35 or by the earth, for it is the footstool of His feet, or by Jerusalem, for it is THE CITY OF THE GREAT KING. 36 "Nor shall you make an oath by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black. 37 "But let your statement be, 'Yes, yes' or 'No, no'; anything beyond these is of evil. 38 "You have heard that it was said, 'AN EYE FOR AN EYE, AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.' 39 "But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. 40 "If anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, let him have your coat also. 41 "Whoever forces you to go one mile, go with him two. 42 "Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you. 43 "You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.' 44 "But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 "For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 "If you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? 48 "Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue May 03, 2016 5:37 pm

Your assumption seems to be that God revealed his law to the Israelites and this is binding for all time. But the fact is that the Israelites' understanding of what God required of them changed throughout time. Consider the following article by Dr. Bob Wilson:

Reading the Bible Like Jesus Did
Purpose: to show that we need to follow Jesus’ way of reading the Bible and choosing its’ highest values.
And we may only appreciate how vital Jesus’ priority of love is for guiding our interpretation, when we first recognize that the Bible’s writers often present conflicting (and developing) ideas. Passages also demonstrate how some texts can claim priority over other ones (cf. Prov 26:4 & 5).

Vital Examples: Old Testament Scriptures that are Challenged by Others

Circumcision The O.T. says, refusing it “cuts one off from God’s people.” For all of God’s ‘eternal’ law is an “everlasting” requirement, even for “foreigners” (Gen 17:9-14,27; Ex 12:48f; Ps 119:152,160). Yet, N.T. writers say, “judge correctly,” arguing the Law should be “set aside” (Jn 7:24; Eph 2:15). For their direct experience of the Spirit among the uncircumcised shows that requiring it actually opposes God (Acts 15:1-11; Gal 5:2,18).

After-life Many O.T. scriptures say there is nothing good beyond death. “All” go to a gloomy existence in the grave called Sheol. Thus no one dead can praise God or even “hope for your faithfulness!” Yet, by late O.T., a few progress to affirming God will raise the dead (compare Eccl 9:1-10; Ps 6:5; 30:9; 88:10-12; 115:17;Isa 38:18 and Dan 12:1f; Ps 73:24).

Polytheism Many early texts say that many gods exist, and only call Israel’s god the “Most High” one who “renders judgment among the gods,” and so is “to be feared above the rest” (Ps 97:9; 82:1; 96:4; 95:3; 86:8; 135:5; 2 Kgs 17:35-39; Gen 3:22). But later texts come to see only one God. “There is no god apart from .”(Isa. 44:6-20; Jer 10:1-16)

Polygamy The Bible says God often blessed favorites with more wives and concubines (2 Sam 5:13; 12:8; SS 6:8)! Yet later it can imply that God had always intended a husband with one wife (Mt 19:5f; Tit 1:6; Gen 2).

Women’s Status Early Bible laws treat women as men’s property. Thus, a father can sell his daughter into slavery. He is also paid for his lost value if a man sleeps with her (Ex. 21:7; 22:16f; 20:17). A man may force any “attractive” captured women to marry. Women must marry their rapist. Adulterous wives will be executed for violating the husband’s property rights. But men with prostitutes or lovers, who are not another man’s property, live! Men only can divorce spouses, kill non-virgin wives, “cut off her hand,” “jealously” test if she can survive drinking fouled water, and require wives or daughters to break their vows. Yet, we read that Jesus challenges enforcing such double standards, and treats women equally.
(Cf Dt. 21:10-14; 22:13ff; 24:1-4; 25:12; Num 5:11-31; 30 & Mt19:1-9)

Sacrifices Early, they’re seen as making an ‘atonement’ that “pleases God,” and secures our forgiveness by making us clean from sin. Yet prophets later argue God does not want them, and “takes no pleasure in sacrifices.” Only a righteous life of mercy will do. So Jesus loved quoting, “I desire mercy, not sacrifice” (Cf. Lev. 1:4-9; 4:26-35; 16:30; 17:11 and Hos 6:6; Isa 1:11-17; Amos 5:21-25; Mic 6:6-8; Mt 9:13; 12:7; Mk 12:33; Heb 10:6f).

David’s Unbroken Dynasty A Psalm (89:3f,29-44) cites 2 Sam. (7:11-16): “David’s line will endure forever.” Thus, even “If his children forsake My law… his line will continue, his throne as long as the heavens!” Yet it disagrees: “You have renounced the covenant with David and cast his throne to the ground.” For seeing that his sons’ disobedience ended David’s dynasty exposes that a new interpretation is needed!

The Cause of Evil In 2 Samuel 24, God has David take a census for war. But a troubling plague occurs that was seen as God’s punishment for doing it. So later, 1 Chronicles 21 revises this, declaring that this census was Satan’s idea, not God’s! In 2 Kings (9:6f; 10:30) God blesses Jehu & his dynasty for an obedient massacre at Jezreel. But, seeing that every new king got murdered, Hosea (1:4f) later (re)interprets that God actually brought judgment because of Jehu’s earlier violence. So, many verses say God creates evil, violence, and deception (1 Kgs 22:19-22; Isa 45:7). But others say, no such darkness is in Him (1 Jn 1:5; Jas 1:13f).

Judgment The Law said, it “pleases” God to “destroy” people, and declares, “I punish sons for the sins of their fathers” (Deut 28:63; 5:9; 2 Sam 12:14f). But, rejecting this, Ezekiel later says, God “takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked!” The Sovereign Lord declares, “You will no longer quote this proverb… For a son will not die for the fathers’ sins… the son will not share the guilt of the father” (33:11; 18:1ff).

Prosperity & Suffering They’re explained as caused by God, based on if they kept his law: “If you obey, God will grant you abundant prosperity… If you do not, He will afflict you with diseases… blindness… painful boils… dire poverty… attack… disasters” (Deut 28,30; 6:3,24; 5:33). “Obey Moses’ law… Then you will be prosperous… The righteous find wealth & many years… no harm overtakes them… But the wicked find death…. This happens because of your sins” (Jos 1:7f; Pr 21:21; 3:2; 12:21; 11:19; 8:18; 13:21; Jer 13:22; Ps 37:25). But other texts say that seeing sickness, poverty and disasters as judgments on sinners who merit such punishment is incorrect. So, righteous Job’s ‘friends’ point to Deut. 28’s explanation that people suffer because of sinning. But Job argues he is blameless, and that seeing him as deserving judgment is cruel. Then, God endorses this by severely rebuking the friends’ explanation! For Job’s main point is that a righteous man can face unexplained suffering (Job 36:7,11; 1:1; 10:7; 42:7; Eccl 7:15f; Cf. Isa 53).
A godly one argues, “I see the prosperity of the wicked.” And despite keeping a pure heart, “I have been long afflicted” (Ps 73). Jesus also denies that disaster is caused by God, because of a certain person’s sins. So rather than call the sick to repent, he assumes it is Satan’s work which must be undone (Jn 9:2f; Lk 13:2f ;11:14-22).

Such a variety of views means that we cannot avoid choosing which ideas will apply to our lives.

Jesus & Scripture
He denies Jews’ accusation that he seeks “to abolish the Law & Prophets” (their Bible)! He clarifies: he’s “come to fulfill them” (Mt 5:17-20). And ‘fulfill’ can mean: ‘complete’ by bringing the O. T.’s ultimate purpose. That means bringing the ways of God toward which the Law was pointing. But doing this meant that Jesus often cited Scripture and reinterpreted its’ literal letter. For he directly proceeds to challenge and reverse things in the Law that they recognized as literal and plain. Thus, it becomes clear that Jesus saw his own contrasting interpretations as being the ways that truly fulfill it.

Examples of How Jesus Challenged the Bible’s Literal Meaning

Foods Scripture said many foods made people unclean. Entering the body “defiled” them for being with God (Lev 11:1-47; 20:25f; Dt 14). Instead, “Jesus declared all foods clean,” reasoning that, “Nothing entering from outside can defile them,” or affect their “heart” (Mk 7:1-23; Lk 11:38-41; Rom 14:20; Acts 10:15)!

Uncleanness Regular washings, and ostracizing those “unclean,” were required. Whole chapters rule out sharing space with “cripples,” all with “defects,” women on their “period,” etc. (Num 5:1f; Lev 5:2f; 7:21; 12-15; 21:16-21; 22:3-6). But Jesus repeatedly makes himself ‘unclean,’ and rejects all these rules. He even urges them to embrace the very folk God’s Law required be shunned (Mt 15:1-28; Lk 5:12f; 8:40-54; 14:13; 15:1f).

Outsiders Separation from unclean uncircumcised foreigners is required (Dt 23:3f; Ex 12:43,48; Neh 9:2; 10:28). So Jesus’ embrace of outsiders angered Bible teachers. And he never quotes, “Be holy as I am holy” (Lev 11). Seeking holiness fostered excluding many. So, Jesus’ emphasis is, “Be merciful as God is merciful” (Lk 6:36). For this lets others join him in loving and embracing outsiders (4:25-29; 7:9; 17:18; Jn 4:1-9; Acts 10:28).

Execution Without exception, Scripture required inflicting death on adulterers caught by eye-witnesses. But when these requirements were met, Jesus refused to follow this, and would not “condemn” a woman
(Dt 22:22; Lev 20:10 vs. Jn 8:1-11).
Sabbath The Scriptures required death for providing on Saturdays for human needs that could wait. Thus, “All must stone a man to death found gathering sticks” (Num 15:32-36; Ex 20:9,10; 31:12-17; 35:2f). But Jesus defends his men’s similar actions, and he deliberately violates Sabbath, insisting that it’s the best day for his main work. He admits, “I am working,” for “my Father is always at work.” He reasons that Sabbath must be “made for man,” and also that David too broke the Law’s rules to benefit others. Thus, he is able to argue that human need must come first (Mt 12:1-14; Lk 13:10-17; 14:1-6; Jn 5:10f,17; Mk 2:27).

Divorce Bible teachers quoted Moses’ law that men can write “displeasing” wives a divorce (Dt 24:1-4). But this formula put women at risk. So, Jesus rejects it as too permissive in violating God’s will & plan that “no one separate” (Mk 10:1-11; Mt 5:31f; Gen 2:24; 5:2). He explains that God only let “this law” be written that accommodated their sin because “your hearts were hard.” (Also Cf. Ezra 10:10 & 1Cor 7:10-16; God used inspired yet finite men, and Ezekiel 20:25 puzzlingly explains, God gave some “laws that were not good.”)

Oaths The Bible commands us to swear honestly and “take an oath” (Dt 10:20; 5:11; 23:21-3; Lev 19:12; Num 30:2). But Jesus quotes this, and opposes it! “But I tell you, never swear an oath at all” (Mt 5:33-37; 23:16ff; Jas 5:12).
Retribution Jesus quotes the vs., “An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.” For Scripture often taught violent retribution (Lev 24:19f; Dt 19:21; Ex 21:24f). Yet Jesus’ love for enemies directly challenged doing this anymore: “But I tell you, do not resist an evil person” (Mt 5:38f). Moses had limited violent retaliation (no more taking multiple eyes)! But Jesus fulfills this law by extending it to seeking no retaliation (Gen 4:15,24).

Enemies The O.T. defined loving a ‘neighbor’ as applying to fellow Jews (Lev 19:17f), but Psalms affirms that violently hating their enemies is “blessed” (139:21f; 137:8f; 55:15; 109:9-12). Thus, Jesus directly opposes this by saying, “You have heard, love your neighbor & hate your enemy. But I say, love your enemies” (Mt 5:43f).

Using Violence (a major reversal) In the O.T., a common way to deal with evil people was to kill them. This was commanded for a rebel child, a sexual sin, doing Saturday work, etc. Even a spouse or a child teaching false ideas must be assassinated (Deut 13:6-11; 17:2-7; 18:20; 21:18-21; 22:22-4; Lev 20:9-13; 24:10-23; 27:29; Ex 31:12-17; 22:20; 2Kgs 2:23f; 23:30).

Violence & ethnic cleansing were also a key in delivering Israel from her pagan enemies. Being “holy” required, “Show them no mercy… kill everything that breathes… women, children, and infants.” Such calls for “vengeance” implied, “Blessed is the man who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.” A variation was, “Kill all the boys, but (as war’s “spoils,”) save every virgin girl for yourselves!”
(Dt 7:1f,6; 20:14-18; 2:34f; 3:6; 1Sam 15:3; 27:9; Jos 6:20f; 8:24f; 10:28-40; 11:11-20; Ps 137:8f; Num 31:17f,27; 2Chr 15:13; Nahum)

Believing God had typically brought victory by violence, Jews must expect the Messiah, as a king like David, who had many military exploits (2Sam 7), would again “rescue us from the hand of our enemies” by slaughtering their Gentile oppressors (Lk 1:74). But Jesus boldly rejects the devout’s reading that God had promised to again show Israel belongs to Him, by violently conquering their pagan enemies (Jesus looks to non-violent texts: Ezek 45:9; Hos 2:18; 4:2f; 5:2; 10:13; Isa 1:15; 2:4; 9:5; 11:6-9; Mic 4:1-4; Zech 9:9f; Ps 46:9; Job 16:17).
Jesus never calls his followers to kill, but to renounce violence and repayment. He warns that violating his “path of peace” only leads to future destruction. For those “who draw the sword will die by it.” So when his men use a weapon, or cite Elijah’s way to “destroy” God’s enemies by fire, he rebukes it. He also explains that “clubs” were not needed to capture him. Because, “If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would fight… but my kingdom is not” (Lk 1:79; 19:41-4; 9:51-56; Mt 26:51-56; Jn 18:36; cf 1Kgs 18:38-40; 2Kgs 1:10; Num 16:28-35).

He defined his mission by quoting Isaiah 61’s “setting free the oppressed” (Lk 4:16-30). But he eliminates the line Jews loved: another “day of God’s vengeance” on Israel’s oppressors. And he sensed this twist means, he won’t be “accepted as a prophet.” So, he seals their anger by adding that he will copy Elijah in healing hated enemies such as Nathan, a pagan general. Similarly, when John the Baptist stumbles because Jesus did not free him from their enemies, he cites his healings as fulfilling his view of Messiah (Lk 7:22f; Cf Isa 35:5f & Jonah).

For Jesus had radically redefined what it means for God’s Davidic King to win the battle that frees us from evil. Jesus’ Last Supper identifies him with Passover’s theme of liberation. But he ignores the Exodus victory’s reliance upon killing enemy nations. For the enemy that needs to be overcome is sin and the devil. Thus, he reveals that God’s true way to do this, is not as a warrior-king who sheds his enemies’ blood, but as a Servant who absorbs and defeats evil by letting his own blood be shed.
Indeed, Jesus’ way reverses Israel’s interpretation. The key to overcoming our enemies is love & mercy that returns good for evil. For imitating “God who is merciful” requires being “kind to the wicked” just like God! So, “Love your enemies so that you may be children of your Father.” For “peacemakers” are God’s true children, and it’s “the meek who will inherit the earth.” Indeed, Jesus’ only action toward the “Canaanites,” that Israel had tried to annihilate, was to “grant mercy” (Lk 6:27-35; Mt 5:5-9,38-48; 15:21-28; 10:38).

“Losing our life to save it” can mean, “Do not resist evil,” but “turn the other cheek.” It will mean no more “eye for an eye,” but “forgive everyone who sins against us.” For “Even pagans love those who love them.” But God’s way means the test is to “love your enemies, and do good to those who hate you.” For what looks like a way of loss is actually the way to “overcome evil with good” (Lk 9:23f; 11:4; Rom 12:21).

Slavery (a modern application) Finding “Christ’s mind” (1Cor 2:16) isn’t easy. For 1800 years, Bible believers felt sure it endorsed slavery. It details how to buy other races as slaves, and how to properly beat them. It never tells readers to oppose owning people as “property,” but says, “slaves, submit to your masters in everything.” Thus in Civil War debates, those who quoted Scripture a lot, were pro-slavery. John Hopkins explains, “My conscience feels slavery is wrong, but I can only avoid erring if I submit to God’s Word, which so plainly supports it.” Yet today, it is hard to find believers who do not see Bible hints that God’s will and the call to love opposes slavery! (Cf. Lev 25:44-46; Ex 21:7,20f; Gen 9:25; 1Kgs 9:22; Tit 2:9f; 1Pet 2:18)

Blaspheming the Spirit vs. Recognizing the Spirit’s kind of Fruit (Matt. 12:22-33; 7:16-20; Gal. 5:20) Jesus said that Scripture’s purpose is to lead us to him, and to loving others. Love’s importance may be why Jesus calls us to choose ways that produce the best “fruit.” For results guide our evaluation. And it was Jesus’ direct experience of God in his life that guided his unique way of reading Scripture.
Instead, Bible teachers opposed Jesus’ fruitful healing ministry, since it appeared to violate Scripture. But Jesus said that calling such a blessing, produced by the Spirit, Satan’s work, was the “blasphemy of the Spirit.” This effort to eliminate such plain evidence of God’s goodness was uniquely evil (12:31). For we must not harden our conscience’s ability to recognize and affirm the way of love.

Similarly, Peter knew that Scripture prohibited eating with Gentiles. Yet he disagreed, being able to see that “God has shown me” the fruit produced by the Spirit is already evident in non-law keeping Gentiles. What changed his interpretation was not studying the Bible, but what he saw in his experience (Acts 10:28).

Conclusion: How Jesus[/i] (re) Interpreted the Bible
Readers in Jesus’ day feared questioning the Bible’s literal rules. But this led to violating love. So, we saw Jesus imitate the prophets who’d faithfully challenged majority views. He notes that Bible teachers’ interpretations hurt people, and kept them from God, by missing what’s most important, “justice, mercy & faithfulness” (Mt 23:13,23f). He argued, the Law is “made for man.” So what nourishes human welfare has priority over its’ letter. And loving even those who wrong us is how we share in God’s character.

Indeed, Jesus spelled out why compassion changes the usual way to read it. He saw that our reading must lead to “loving God and neighbor.” For “all the Law and Prophets (their Bible!) hangs on this.” “So in everything, do to others what you’d have them do to you, for this sums up the Law & Prophets!” “No command” is as “great” as this, because “love is the fulfillment of the law” (Mt 22:36-40; 7:12; Mk 12:31; Rom 13:8; Gal 5:14).

The Old Testament rarely urged “love” for others. But hidden among laws Jesus ignored (on not mixing fabrics and crops, foods, haircuts, slaves, vows, etc), he found, “love your neighbor” (Lev 19:17f). It limited this to “a fellow Israelite,” but he redefined our neighbor as everyone. Then, loving them became how “the entire law is fulfilled” (Lk 10:25-37). And since all the Scripture hangs on love, seeking to determine what love would do becomes the measure by which we too discern Scripture and God’s will.

We saw that Jesus challenges some Scripture as literally binding, and uses it selectively. And he urges us to “recognize his voice,” as we too look at what love for God and others means (Jn 8:47; 10:3-5; 14:26; cf 2 Cor. 3:6). When a text did not promote others’ welfare, faithfulness required reversing its’ apparent letter, and choosing love as what “fulfills” it. For we interpret Scripture best as we give pre-eminence to love.

Christians only get the Bible right, if they get Jesus right. For he warned that one can “diligently study Scripture,” yet miss what it’s all about. We need him to “explain all of the Scriptures” (Jn 5:39; Lk 24:27,45). For Jesus is the fullest “exact representation” of God’s true character (Heb 1:2f; 3:3; Jn 1:17f; 14:9). Thus, we are called to trust our Master, and follow his way of reading and wrestling with Scripture, as we do our best to weigh what parts apply to our lives in terms of his approach to living out the priority of love.

Note: Paul follows the same approach. He had fully kept God’s Law (Phil 3:6)! Yet he saw that this left him “the worst of sinners,” because as in many Scriptures, he had justified “violence” in serving God’s cause (1 Tim 1:13,15; 1Cor 15:9). So, he sees that following that way to purity is “under a curse,” and joins Jesus in arguing that what fulfills the entire law is “love that does no harm to a neighbor.” He agrees “the letter kills!” Thus, Paul is “led by the Spirit,” not Law. And being under “the law of Christ” lets him select the truths that encourage love. (Gal 3:10; 5:6,14,18; 2Cor 3:6; 1 Cor 9:20f; 13:1-3; Rom 6:14; 7:6; 10:4; 12:17-21; 13:8-10; Tit 1:7; Acts 15; Heb 7:12)

Indeed, all the apostles unite on love as being all-important and taking precedence (cf 1 Pet 4:8; Jas 2:8; 1Jn 3:11-4:21). Like Jesus, they sought to morally discern Scripture. They reject food and Sabbath rules, polygamy, genocide and using violence, despite some opposing Scriptures. For these conflict especially with the value Jesus placed on love. Since love “fulfills,” and “sums up,” all other rules, they saw this as the Biblical way to read Scripture.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “General Bible Discussion”