So, the Manhattan Declaration...

Right & Wrong
Michelle

So, the Manhattan Declaration...

Post by Michelle » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:26 am

The Manhattan Declaration

...did anyone here sign it?

If you did, would you mind sharing your reasons? If you didn't, I would love to hear why not.
Last edited by Michelle on Wed May 26, 2010 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Murf

Re: So, the Manhattan Declaration...

Post by Murf » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:23 pm

While I agree with the sentiment, I wouldn't sign it. Until "the church" starts living these principles itself I don't see any reason to try to impose them on others or speak out for them. If you do the math most of the people assaulting these principles claim to Christians.

I can't remember the source but I think the basic numbers are as follows:
80ish % of Americans claim to be Christians of some kind
95ish % of Americans claim to be spitiual whatever that means

tim

dalibor

Post by dalibor » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:37 am

I agree with Murf and would add that instead of directing our time and energy on the "PR" for Christianity would be far beneficial to address the issues at the individual level, that is at the heart level, and working from there up. For example you don't fight against abortion by voting a certain way and the forget about the issue afterwards, but instead you seek those who are hurting a provide help for both mother and baby, maybe analize the root cause and try to fix that. I understand that is a harder work but maybe Christianity would be viewed in a better light and not just a bunch of hypocrites.
This brings to mind a song by Derek Webb -They know us by out T-shirts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53mhPoTO-Xk

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:02 am

Murf wrote:While I agree with the sentiment, I wouldn't sign it. Until "the church" starts living these principles itself I don't see any reason to try to impose them on others or speak out for them. If you do the math most of the people assaulting these principles claim to Christians.

I can't remember the source but I think the basic numbers are as follows:
80ish % of Americans claim to be Christians of some kind
95ish % of Americans claim to be spitiual whatever that means

tim
Thanks for you reply, Tim. Do you think that if the church got its act together, then we could impose laws on society that reflect our conscience, or do you mean that if everyone who claims the name of Christ actually followed him, we wouldn't need to make declarations of conscience?

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:04 am

dalibor wrote:I agree with Murf and would add that instead of directing our time and energy on the "PR" for Christianity would be far beneficial to address the issues at the individual level, that is at the heart level, and working from there up. For example you don't fight against abortion by voting a certain way and the forget about the issue afterwards, but instead you seek those who are hurting a provide help for both mother and baby, maybe analize the root cause and try to fix that. I understand that is a harder work but maybe Christianity would be viewed in a better light and not just a bunch of hypocrites.
This brings to mind a song by Derek Webb -They know us by out T-shirts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53mhPoTO-Xk
Thanks, Dalibor. I appreciate your thoughts and especially the song you linked to. ;)

Murf

Post by Murf » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:39 pm

I not sure I would ever support the Church imposing laws on society. A real Christian society doesn't need laws since God's law is written on our hearts. A non-Christian society will find a way to work around any law.

I think the purpose of the Church is to offer any society an alternative to what is currently offered by whatever society man has created. One does that a relationship at a time by loving those God brings to you.

tim

Return to “Ethics”