Pledges of Allegiance

Right & Wrong
thrombomodulin

Re: Pledges of Allegiance

Post by thrombomodulin » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:21 am

jriccitelli wrote:I don’t think our Founding fathers had much of anything, or nothing, in common with Anarcho-capitalists
They hold in common the ideals that I enumerated: individual freedom, life, liberty, property and the pursuit of happiness. In my previous post I pointed out that they do not hold in common the means to attain those ideals.
jriccitelli wrote:Our founding fathers set up a Govt I have never seen anything suggesting an 'anti-Govt' gesture among them.
The uniqueness of the federal government our founding fathers created was that it was very limited. The founding fathers prohibited all federal government activities except those that were not specifically listed in the constitution (i.e. government shall only do A, B,C). The bill of rights is superfluous, but and presents the inverse of the same concept: government shall not do X, Y, and Z. The idea of circumscribing the role of government is anti-government in such areas as are withheld from government intervention.
jriccitelli wrote:I think our founding fathers defined what a patriot is, the term which was a rebellious term in Britain, the Americans took the term for themselves.
I am asking you to define in your own words what it is. Until the post before last you have not communicated any particular actions associated with what government should do ("A, B, C"). If you continue to only affirm the "X,Y,Z's" then you continue to place no distance at all between yourself and the ancap's.
jriccitelli wrote:
thrombomodulin wrote: What particular actions might a true patriot actually do or approve of being done? Can you identify one or more particulars?
anything unfair ... should not be approved
thrombomodulin wrote:You are affirming government should deprive the landowner of his freedom to use his own money as he sees fit - right?
I asked you what government should do. You seemed to say it should prohibit that which is unfair. I gave an example of something unfair, and asked if you really thought it should be prohibited. You answered "NO". What then did you mean when you affirmed that which is unfair is to be prohibited?
jriccitelli wrote: – or else (or else what?)
Or else we have failed to be like God in always keeping our word.

SteveF

Re: Pledges of Allegiance

Post by SteveF » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:19 am

For those interested, here’s an article that gives a little more food for thought on the subject.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/would-be-c ... -1.1364055

Return to “Ethics”