Question about a passage mentioning red eyes:

Right & Wrong
Ryan07

Question about a passage mentioning red eyes:

Post by Ryan07 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:46 pm

Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes?

It appears clear that the bible advises against drunkenness. Not if you put a little wine in your water to sterilize it, but actually getting drunk. What about this mentioning of red eyes: does it only apply to alcohol, or does it apply in a broader sense? For example I am wondering if scripture is advising to not involve oneself in any activity that makes ones eyes red.

I thought there was another verse mentioning red eyes and to avoid having them. But my question centers around the concept of medications and such that can cause red eyedness as a side effect. Should one avoid these medications because they can make your eyes red, and is scripture saying that having this side effect of red eyes is a bad sign? Or is it only referring to alcohol. Strangely alcohol doesn't seem to make my eyes red, but I suppose it does in heavy drinkers, but there are other things, medications and the like, which really do. I am wondering if scripture is telling me I should not take these medications because of the side effects of having red eyes sometimes. Thank you.

Paidion

Re: Question about a passage mentioning red eyes:

Post by Paidion » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:34 pm

This post has been removed because I have been made aware of my mistake.
Last edited by Paidion on Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Bud

Post by Bud » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:54 am

Ryan asked about Proverbs 23:29, I will add verse 30 in answer to Paidions above question.

29 Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes? 30 They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine. (KJV)

Ryan went on to wonder about "another verse" about "red eyedness"
I found one:

Genesis 49:12,
12 His eyes shall be red with wine, and his teeth white with milk.

In context this verse is descriptive of a pleasant state not a slam. (Seems to me)

Ryan was wondering if medication that had a side effect of red eyes was an indication that it would be wrong to take. I don't find that to necessarily be the case.

The Bible is balanced about the use of alcohol; it can be pleasant in a good way; it can be medicinal; it can be used as a palliative (see Prov. 31:6,7).
Jesus made it Himself for a wedding party.

On the other hand drunkards shall not inherit the kingdom of God, the Scriptures say at 1Cor.6:10 as well as stating how destructive it can be in numerous places.

So the important thing to know is "self controll", and "moderation", not that alcohol is "demon rum". However, if I had less self control under the Spirit of Christ I would do better not to partake. Also some want to take no chance, or make an oath not to. Nothing wrong with that.

God bless you and yours,
Bud
Malachi 3:16 Then those who feared the LORD spoke to one another, and the LORD gave attention and heard [it,] and a book of remembrance was written before Him for those who fear the LORD and who esteem His name. (NASB) :)

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:10 am

It does seem to me to be talking about winebibbery (if that's a word). I guess that bloodshot eyes (if that's the meaning) are a good indication that everything's not ideal, but I don't think you could say that anything that leads to that is necessarily wrong. There may be times when it's worth it. Jesus fasted for 40 days. I don't know, but his eyes might have been red during that difficult time.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Ryan07

Post by Ryan07 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:01 am

Thank you everyone for the replies.
I think perhaps these medications are safe as they do not produce the wreckless demonic conditions that excessive drinking does.

Proverbs 23:29-30 - Drinking causes woe, sorrow, fighting, babbling, wounds without cause and red eyes.
Well, I suppose reasoning it backwards that if you have red eyes then what you did to get them is not required to be evil. It may be no more demonic than the flea bytes I have after moving into this room a few days ago. Wow. There's no pets living here. Why am I under attack?

Also if anyone is interested here is a really nice link to 75 passages of scripture about alcohol.
http://www.scionofzion.com/drinking.htm

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:49 pm

Thanks Bud! I apologize, Ryan. I was clearly wrong. The context IS about those who "tarry long over wine." I don't know why I stopped at verse 29 and didn't properly look at the context.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Bud

Post by Bud » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:23 pm

Hi Paidion, it's nothing , I've done the same.

Hi Ryan, you wrote,
It may be no more demonic than the flea bytes I have after moving into this room a few days ago. Wow. There's no pets living here. Why am I under attack?

I've had flea troubles many times when I had a dog, and after "watching" a friends dog when they where away :(

The room you moved into probably had a dog or cat in it at some time, even months ago.

Fleas have 3 stages: adults; eggs; and larval (?) or something. When their in that larval stage they can become dormant for months and only emerge to adult stage and bite when a victim starts to be sensed by them.

When treating for fleas you want products that can handle all 3 stages and you will probably want to retreat at the first sign of a fresh outbreak.

Good luck, (grace)
Bud
Malachi 3:16 Then those who feared the LORD spoke to one another, and the LORD gave attention and heard [it,] and a book of remembrance was written before Him for those who fear the LORD and who esteem His name. (NASB) :)

Return to “Ethics”