Who Is Worshipped?

Homer

Who Is Worshipped?

Post by Homer » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:29 pm

I have noticed what seems to be the practice in worship (okay, singing) that most of it is seemingly addressed to Jesus. Is this the impression you have at the assembly you participate in? It would seem that this should not be the case if Jesus is not fully God.

Interested in any and all comments.

darinhouston

Who Is Worshipped?

Post by darinhouston » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:19 pm

Homer wrote:I have noticed what seems to be the practice in worship (okay, singing) that most of it is seemingly addressed to Jesus. Is this the impression you have at the assembly you participate in? It would seem that this should not be the case if Jesus is not fully God.

Interested in any and all comments.
I agree that this is the norm. I also agree we should (as Jesus did) focus our primary worship and reverence on the Father while being thankful that Jesus (as our mediator) enables us to do that and for it to be received in the manner given. But that doesn’t mean Jesus isn’t worthy of the same. Whether Jesus is himself God, the Father elevated Him to a position worthy of being worshipped and that is enough for me.

I have raised the analogy of earthly kingdoms before. I think it applies here. If I had a King, who would I be not to kneel before the prince (adopted or natural) or question his relationship to his father. He bears the insignia and it’s the King’s prerogative not mine to adjudge his position. If we truly appreciate our relationship to the Sovereign, the hubris in establishing the Nicene creed itself might almost be considered as blasphemous as non-Trinitarians are considered to be (even if it turns out to be true).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paidion

Re: Who Is Worshipped?

Post by Paidion » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:57 pm

"Jesus is fully God" is an ambiguous statement, depending upon what is meant by the word "God."
Does it mean that Jesus is God the Father? Or does it mean that Jesus is "God" in the sense of His being divine?

It seems that both meanings of "God" are used in John 1:1

In the beginning was the Logos, and the Logos was with the God...

The article comes before "God" here indicating that the Father (the "only true God" as Jesus addressed Him) is the referent.

... and the Logos was God

Don't emphasize "was" when you read this; emphasize "God."

There is no article before "God" and the word order is as follows: "and God was the Logos."
By placing the word "God" before the verb, it is indicated that "God" or "Divinity" is the kind of thing the Logos was, that is that God or Divinity was His very essence.

The same word order is used in the sentence "Your word is truth" (John 17:17). The word order is "Your word truth is." By placing "truth" before the verb, "truth" the kind of thing His word is —the very essence of His word.

Also for "God is love" (1 John 4:16) the word order is "God love is." By placing "love" before the verb, it is indicated that "love" is the kind of thing that God is—His very essence.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Singalphile

Re: Who Is Worshipped?

Post by Singalphile » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:17 pm

In my experience, it's always been kind of evenly split, I think.

Along the lines of the king/prince illustration, I can't imagine a father being upset or jealous about any adoration given to his uniquely beloved and obedient son. (Not that anyone said anything like that.)
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Return to “Fellowship & Worship”