Two "models" of Christian Marriage (??)

On "models" of Christian Marriage, I believe:

Total votes: 0

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:28 pm

The one with the "ch" would be the correct transliteration into English. It is pronounced the way "ch" is pronounced in German, and in "ich". The "c" and the "h" are pronounced separately. Try pronouncing "ich" by lifting your tongue after the "i" and letting your breath escape from your mouth creating a sort of hissing sound.

The reason the English "x" should never be used for the Greek "chi" is that it is already used for the Greek "xi". This letter is pronounced as it is in English (ks). An example of a Greek word containing this letter is the preposition "ex" (out of). Our English word "exit" is derived from this preposition.

As for the Greek letter "upsilon", I prefer to use the English "u", but traditionally the letter "y" has been used, for example in the English "myth" which comes directly from the Greek word "muthos" (or "mythos".)

No one knows for sure how Greek words were pronounced in the first century. What we do know is that it varied considerably from modern Greek pronunciation.

Nevertheless, in answer to your question, I would pronouce "ichthus" as
"ich" (as in German) followed by the second syllable "thoos" (the short "oo" as in "book"). I know that some people pronounce the second syllable with a long "oo" as in "moon".
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_TK

Post by _TK » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:01 pm

how about F-I-S-H?

tk
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:37 pm

Bro TK, Y'all got Spring time upair yet? wrote:how about F-I-S-H?
KATA B-hELLHNIKOS MHLIGG LIST:
F-I-S (except there's no "sh" letter or sound in Hellene).
or
ICQUS (is the actual deal via B-Greek, Paidion)
Bro Paidion, I could try to find whole long entire threads on this in Beliefnet archives. But well, anyways, you wrote:Nevertheless, in answer to your question, I would pronouce "ichthus" as
"ich" (as in German) followed by the second syllable "thoos" (the short "oo" as in "book"). I know that some people pronounce the second syllable with a long "oo" as in "moon".
If you wanted to have a nick that was the fish sign -- and -- who the fish sign is, you aren't a Calvinist on it, and you wanted to let folks know it in the nick (you know, "Jesus Christ, God's Son, [is the] Savior, and is for you") ... how would you do it? "ikthuce4u" was the only way I could get it narrowed down.

I suppose I could have logged on as:
"ich(SayItGutterallyFolks)thoos(Not"thus"IMO(MoreLikeM"oo"n)4u"

But since almost everyone sez the "U" in "ikthuce" as "oo", at least down here in Ohio (from you guys)...and even hotshot Greek experts don't go "gutteral" when enunciating the X/C (letter Chi)....
Have a Good Evening, Paidion, lol

P.S. Almost everyone who "knew what the fish sign is" over at Beliefnet said they rilly liked my nick coz it was: the fish sign (ikthuce4u).
P.S.S. Have you guys voted? I haven't yet.
P.S.S.S. I almost started another thread on this (what we did @ Beliefnet sometimes on an "aside"). I thought about a thread on: How To Post Greek (that is to say, "in English" as I have Greek font but not everyone does).

Anyways......
Reason:
“In Jesus Christ God ordained life for man, but death for himself” -- Karl Barth

Return to “Marriage & Divorce”