How good and how pleasant...

_TK

Post by _TK » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:08 pm

and how about growing out your hair to its early 70s length?

TK
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:48 pm

Hi Steve and TK,

Your comments interest me.

I like the mustache better also (that's why it took me thirty years to get up the courage to shave it). I have never liked my "clean-shaved" look. I shaved, a few years ago, to please my kids (who thought I looked to "dated" with it) and certain others in my life , and have considered re-growing it ever since. I would do it in a heartbeat, but most people (e.g., parents, kids, numerous others) say they like it much better gone. I myself truly prefer my facial hair to my face, and always have! I am strongly inclined to keep hiding behing the cookie-duster. (You will notice that I have not yet changed my avatar, nor the picture at the website. I am not quite ready for such an unveiling). If all this makes me sound incredibly vain, I guess that may be the right impression.

As for the long hair, I also prefer it over the conservative look, which is why I wore it long well into the eighties, long after most of my freak friends had cut theirs—(in the words of David Crosby) I felt like I "owed it to someone" to keep the "[Jesus-] freak-flag flying" [allusion, without the reference to Jesus, to the song, "Almost Cut My Hair," by Crosby, Stills, Nash (and Young)].

I always enjoyed speaking to a new audience somewhere, who did not know me, and to be aware that they were expecting little from me because of my appearance, and then to see the difference in their reactions to me after they had heard me.

This was the reaction of a "Fonzie-like," Christian biker, who came from Canada to attend our school in Oregon. When he saw me, at the student orientation, he almost turned his bike north and headed back to Canada. However, he said to himself, "I'll give this school three days to prove itself." After the first day of classes, he had altered his opinion. He stayed with our one-year school for three years—first as a student, then staff, actually running the school for me his third year.

Another friend of mine, a red-neck Boise cowboy (who had always disdained hippies) had that very same reaction when he first heard (and saw) me speak in his YWAM school, in 1983. When I first stood up in the podium, he says he was sitting back with his arms crossed, thinking, "What is this weirdo gonna have to say?" He says, when he had listen to me for five minutes, he was completely disarmed, with his jaw on the ground. He ended up coming to our school and staying a couple of years, until he met his wife and married. Now he is a missionary in the Arab World. When he saw that I had cut my hair, he was very disappointed, because he revelled in the idea of my affecting people the way I had initially affected him. He liked the idea of my teaching sneaking up on people that way.

Unfortunately, as an old geezer, now 54, if I were to wear my hair that long, I am afraid I would just look like an old, homeless derelict, rather than a "radical Christian" (wait a minute...that is not so far from the truth!). Funny thing is, everyone said I looked ten years younger when I shaved, but I feel like I now look like my father—much older than I feel.

Thanks for the comments. The jury is not yet in, concerning the future of my grooming. :-)
Last edited by FAST WebCrawler [Crawler] on Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_Allyn

Post by _Allyn » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:16 pm

I am 54 as well and never really had long hair as it was more of a messy swirl when it was longer. However, Steve, I think you have the facial sructure for long hair tied in the back with a ponytail. Your height is a plus for that look also. But just so you know, you look great the way you now are.
Reason:

_Michelle

Post by _Michelle » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:25 pm

Yeah, speaking of height, I don't remember you being that tall. You are at least a head taller than everyone else in those pictures. :shock:
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:31 pm

I am 6' 4" and only weighed 150 lb until I was in my mid thirties. Being gaunt enhanced the "freak" look (people assumed I had been a speed-freak, though I have never used any kind of drug, other than caffeine). I tried to gain weight for over 20 years without success. I am now a bit over 200 lb, but carrying all my weight where I don't want it.
Last edited by FAST WebCrawler [Crawler] on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:57 pm

Sounds like y'all had a good time :wink:

I recognized Brody, Derek, Perry, and Stephanie. Who was the man with the white hair & mustache? And who was married? (who's the couples)? And who's place was it again? Just curious, Thanx, Rick

P.S. Once, I got a pic of me on my avatar but it was fuzzy like Steve's & didn't really look like me (I don't have a thing-a-ma-bob to downsize pics, anyone have one?)....
Reason:

_Allyn

Post by _Allyn » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:56 pm

Send me a pic of yourself and I will downsize it. I'll send it back or I can put it on my server and give you the url. I will be happy to do this for anyone who asks.

allyn_morton@hotmail.com
Reason:

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:19 pm

Thanx Allyn :)

I sent you one (it's huge) & you can put it on yer server and send me back a copy, please?

I have to go to my part time job right now but (should you post yer email
addy here)?

gtg, Praise the Lord! ...............Rick
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:02 pm

Rick,
The older gentleman is Bob, the father of the other woman in the pictures, who is Perry's wife. The gathering was at Brody and Stephanie's.
Last edited by FAST WebCrawler [Crawler] on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_Allyn

Post by _Allyn » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:12 pm

PM'd you, Rick
Reason:

Return to “Prayer, Praise & Testimonies”