How good and how pleasant...

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:03 pm

Thanks Steve & Allyn,

<<< There's my pic <<< is too fuzzy & I look slightly less "that-bad" in real life, lol

Btw, at first I thought the guy might be Homer, OK, not him, thanx :wink:

God bless you all,
Rick

P.S. Steve
I thought I saw a guitar in a gigbag...did you guys sing in worship and/or jam? (I know Brody, Derek, & Perry play guitars too). I have a Saved-Version of "Hey, Hey, My, My" (Neil Young & Crazy Horse).

"HEY, Heyyy, Myy, Myyyyyy, IF YER SAVED Y'ULL NEVER DIE!"
CHUNK CHUNK CHUNK....CHUNK CHUNK CHUNKa.....
"THE KING IS GONE BUT HE'S NOT FORGOTTEN!"
CHUNK CHUNK CHUNK....CHUNK CHUNK CHUNKa.....
"THIS IS THE STORY OF THE ONLY BEGOTTEN!"
CHUNK CHUNK CHUNK....CHUNK CHUNK CHUNKa....etc.
(guess you had to be there, anyways).....
Thanks, Rick
Last edited by _Rich on Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:
“In Jesus Christ God ordained life for man, but death for himself” -- Karl Barth

_TK

Post by _TK » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:32 pm

regarding perry's "jeff goldblum" comment, i must say that now that i think about it, there is definitely some similarities. not so much in mannerisms (jeff g is a tad herky jerky in his delivery) but, the timbre of your voice is quite similar. my wife agrees.

one thing i have enjoyed while listening to your teachings is that i never know which Steve G voice i am going to get. sometimes, presumably because of the cassette mechanism used in recording the lectures, your voice is deeper, and sometimes it is higher. not terribly so, but enough to notice.

i think the more recent Kingdom of God series is your actual voice. each lesson sounded consistent. :)

TK
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:06 pm

To me Steve doesn't sound like Jeff Goldblum...(and I don't like my own voice either, I sound like that smart-aleck, Eddie Haskell...it bugs me too, lol)!
Hi TK, you wrote:one thing i have enjoyed while listening to your teachings is that i never know which Steve G voice i am going to get. sometimes, presumably because of the cassette mechanism used in recording the lectures, your voice is deeper, and sometimes it is higher. not terribly so, but enough to notice.
My computer is too old to be able to "get" Windows Media, versions 8 and up. If you can get version 10 it is supposed to have a speed-adjustor thingy. I use IrfanView media player as it has a speed-adjustment (for when Steve sounds too fast or slow...only thing is: "IV Player" doesn't have EQ). Irfanview is a free download. I got mine at TuCows.
Last edited by _Rich on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
“In Jesus Christ God ordained life for man, but death for himself” -- Karl Barth

_Derek

Post by _Derek » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:22 pm

Good to see your face brother Rick!
Reason:
Derek

Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.
Psalm 20:7

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:32 pm

Thanx, Derek...I look somethin along those lines, beard & hair's gone whiter on me in last year tho...both used to be red/orange, lol

So did u guys jam guitars?
(I woulda)... :wink:
Last edited by _Rich on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:52 pm

TK,

As you know, most of our mp3s were converted from cassette tapes, which were really inconsistent. Some of them started out okay at the beginning and then gradually sped my voice up until it sounded like Alvin and the chipmunks. Sometimes the problem can't be blamed on the cassette tapes, though. Sometimes, especially when I get excited, my voice actually gets thinner and higher. I dislike hearing it when it gets like that. That's one reason that I don't allow myself to become too animated very often.

I really would like to re-teach everything at our website and record it digitally. That's how the "Kingdom" series was recorded. I just don't know when I will have a teaching schedule, like I had at the school, where I can re-teach the whole Bible in a short space of time (preferably over a period of about three years).
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_Perry

Post by _Perry » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:35 am

Hi guys,
Derek wrote: We need to do it again soon. We need to really think about a quarterly meeting or something.
Brody wrote: Also Perry, we need to set up a monthly or bi-monthly meeting where you and your family and Derek and his can come here and have fellowship.
Sharon and I were already scheming on the way home. We'd like to have you guys over our way some time. We realize that it's probably easier for us to travel than for all of you to, however, especially since we're childless. But we'd like to do it some more.
Steve wrote: Anyway, you made a great mistake in posting those pictures of me. You could have gotten a lot of money out of me by blackmail, simply by threatening to post them!
Stephanie wrote: I too wuold have paid big money for those photos!
Hmmm... I didn't realize that could've been such a lucrative venture. I’ll have to keep that in mind in the future.

But seriously, I should have checked with you guys before posting those. I apologize for that.
Steve wrote: As for the long hair, I also prefer it over the conservative look,
It's your hair, but IMO, I'd keep it more conservative. I don't mean to sound overly pios, but few people are stumbled by short hair on a guy. My brother cultivates the hippy look, and I know it causes him trouble sometimes. I never understood inviting trouble unnecessarily. I've had a number of very good friends who like their hair long, and there's only one thing that bugs me about it. When I see a fellow tuck his long hair behind his ear it makes me shudder. It seems like such a feminine gesture.

If I'd seen Derek as a stranger on the street, I'm sure I would have misjudged him as a skinhead. I say that to MY shame, and not his. Please understand I hold Derek in highest regard. He’s a heck of a guy. I'm certainly in no position to take any moral high-ground. Back in the day when I had hair, I would often let it get rather long, but that was more because I was lazy about hair-cuts than anything else.

When you wore your hair long, I'm sure you heard 1 Cor 11:14 quoted at you a lot. How did you respond?
Rick_C wrote: Once, I got a pic of me on my avatar but it was fuzzy like Steve's
I see that Allyn is working with you. I can offer my services along that line as well, to anyone who would like for me to.
Rick_C wrote: I thought I saw a guitar in a gigbag...
That was Derek's. Derek and Brody are both AMAZING guitar players. I was smart enough to just sit back and listen.
TK wrote: regarding perry's "jeff goldblum" comment, i must say that now that i think about it, there is definitely some similarities.
I tried to get Steve to say, "must go faster, must go faster..." but he wouldn't oblige.
Steve wrote: As you know, most of our mp3s were converted from cassette tapes, which were really inconsistent.
Here's a nifty little freeware program that you guys might enjoy. It has some great effects, such as changing tempo without changing pitch and vice versa, noise removal, etc. You have to download the mp3 encoder separately, but that's only a minor hassle. Another neat feature of this program is that it'll digitally record anything that finds its way through your computer's speaker. You can use it to record streaming audio.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

Few people like the sound of their own voice. That's because most of the time when you hear it, your whole head and chest are resonating with the sound of it. When you hear recordings, it always sounds weak and tinny.
Steve wrote: I really would like to re-teach everything at our website and record it digitally.
I was wondering, with the volume of teaching that you have available, how often you find that your opinions about certain doctrines may have changed since the recordings were made. New recordings might be nice, not only from the standpoint of the audio quality, but also from the standpoint of having them taught by the older/wiser Steve.

I got the distinct impression that part of the Kingdom of God series was recorded in a more studio type environment instead of before an audience. Those types of recordings are never as enjoyable for me. It seems the speaker is never as animated as when he's got real people in front of him.

In any case, if there's any specific recordings that I can work on cleaning up for you, I'd certainly be willing to give it a shot, just LMK.

Perry
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:22 pm

Perry wrote:

"It's your hair, but IMO, I'd keep it more conservative. I don't mean to sound overly pios, but few people are stumbled by short hair on a guy."

That's why it is shorter now. Your comment may apply more to attitudes in the South than here in California, but my travels require me to accommodate sensitivities in many regions now.

Perry wrote:

"When you wore your hair long, I'm sure you heard 1 Cor 11:14 quoted at you a lot. How did you respond?"

Yes, of course. My response was pretty much the same as a Christian man would give if his wife was criticized for cutting her hair. The passage condemns both equally. The "shame" in the verse is clearly speaking of popular sentiment in Corinith, since Paul himself grew his hair long as a Nazirite (Acts 18:18).

Perry wrote:

"I was wondering, with the volume of teaching that you have available, how often you find that your opinions about certain doctrines may have changed since the recordings were made. New recordings might be nice, not only from the standpoint of the audio quality, but also from the standpoint of having them taught by the older/wiser Steve."

Yes. That, too.

Perry wrote:

"I got the distinct impression that part of the Kingdom of God series was recorded in a more studio type environment instead of before an audience. Those types of recordings are never as enjoyable for me. It seems the speaker is never as animated as when he's got real people in front of him."

I agree with this assessment. I don't care for "studio" recordings of lectures (my 200 lectures on Matthew, posted at digitalministries.us , were recorded this way). The "kingdom" series was given before an audience of about 75 people. One of the lectures (I forget which one) had to be redone because the recording equipment failed during the original presentation. That one lecture is a "studio" job.

Perry wrote:

" tried to get Steve to say, 'must go faster, must go faster...' but he wouldn't oblige."

Okay, okay, already! "...must go faster, must go faster..." —There! How did that sound? Probably like Alvin.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_Allyn

Post by _Allyn » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:07 pm

Steve, I have really enjoyed the Matthew teaching series which kind of has a fireside approach. Your voice was consistant throughout each lesson. The recordings are better then the other verse by verse teachings so I wonder if the setting was in a recording studio set-up.

edit: Looks like I need to read replies before I open my mouth
Last edited by _Rae on Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:38 pm

Hi Steve, Maybe because i'm from NYC and it's a kinda colorful town, but i think the stache gives your face more color,character,contrast,pizaaz and mysteriousness.
Now IMO that's a good thing but you may feel the opposite.
Reason:

Return to “Prayer, Praise & Testimonies”