Tithing

NORTH

Tithing

Post by NORTH » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:33 pm

Last edited by NORTH on Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NORTH

Post by NORTH » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:40 pm

Last edited by NORTH on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paidion

Re: Tithing

Post by Paidion » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:02 pm

There is no record of tithing having been practised in the first century church. The apostles didn't teach it.

Among the ancient Hebrews,, 10% was given to support the priests. The rest was their own to do with as they pleased. Under the new order in Christ, disciples were stewards of the Lord's possessions. Everything belonged to the Lord.

Here are two records of the practice of the first Christians:

And all who believed were together and had all things in common; and they sold their possessions and goods and distributed them to all, as any had need. Acts 2:44,45

There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles’ feet; and distribution was made to each as any had need. Acts 4:34,35

For the first Christians it wasn't 10% of their possessions which belonged to God. It was 100%.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Homer

Post by Homer » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:23 pm

Good short article on giving:

[Give Regularly as God Has Prospered You]

Note: If page appears blank, just scroll down.

NORTH

Post by NORTH » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:17 pm

Last edited by NORTH on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:33 pm

NORTH, don't you consider ALL of your possessions as actually belonging to the Lord, and that you are a steward of those things? What if the Lord requires you to share all with others as He did the rich young ruler. When the rich young ruler said he kept the commandments from his youth up, our Lord said that there was just one little thing that was lacking. He was to sell all his possessions and give the proceeds to the poor. The man couldn't do that. He went away sorrowful. He was unable to become Christ's disciple and to receive eternal life since he couldn't surrender everything to Christ. Jesus had said to people, "Unless you forsake ALL and follow me you cannot be my disiciple." He didn't say that such a one would be a poor disciple, or a mediochre disciple. SUCH A ONE COULDN'T BE HIS DISCIPLE AT ALL!

It is dangerous to assume that if we give 10%, we've done our duty to God, and the rest is ours to spend as we wish. For a disciple, that is not the case. ALL is God's. If God permits us to be use some of what He gave us to sustain us, well and good. If he wants us to use 80% for our needs and give away 20% to the hungry, the widows, and the orphans, so be it. But whatever the case, we must listen to His voice, and do His will.

If I think I have fulfilled my duty to God by tithing, and that the rest is mine, then according to the words of Christ, I am not His disciple at all!
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

paulespino

Post by paulespino » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:57 am

By North:
I feel good about having paid tithing. I think that to pay tithing is both reasonable and scripturally correct
If you feel good about tithing then go ahead and do it. The scripture does not prohibit anyone from tithing, as long as you don't become legalistic towards tithing then it is ok to tithe. If you think it is reasonable to tithe then by all means do it.

Homer

Post by Homer » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:43 pm

I think North should be commended for finding joy in tithing; that is far more than most who claim to be Christians give. Quoting Jesus without attempting an exegesis of what He meant and the circumstances of His statements may be laying a burden on a brother that Jesus never intended.

Jesus' statement to the rich ruler in Luke 18 needs a thoughtful explanation. It seems to be tailored to this particular individual. Why did Jesus not give the same requirement to the wealthy Zacchaeus in Luke 19? Instead he blessed him and Zacchaeus was no doubt still wealthy. And we know there were other wealthy Christians at the time of the Apostles.

Paidion asked:
What if the Lord requires you to share all with others as He did the rich young ruler.
And I would ask for an explanation regarding precisely how one would know this? He didn't exactly tell the rich young ruler to share, but to get rid of everything. How many Christians can you name that have done just that?

And Paidion said:
Jesus had said to people, "Unless you forsake ALL and follow me you cannot be my disiciple." He didn't say that such a one would be a poor disciple, or a mediochre disciple. SUCH A ONE COULDN'T BE HIS DISCIPLE AT ALL!
And what does "forsake" mean here? Does it mean to leave behind everything and travel with Jesus on His itinerate ministry? How could one be His disciple under the circumstances without doing this? Jesus literally had no home - He was truly "homeless". How many do you know who have have done this (sold their home and everything and given the proceeds to the poor)?

And Jesus also said:

Luke 14:26 (New King James Version)
26. “If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple.

Why not literally apply this teaching, the same as the others? I think we can safely say that this admonition was necessary at the time when new converts were likely to be under great pressure from non-believers among their kin, especially if they went against the family patriarch. It would seem hardly necessary today.

As one well known radio commentator says "tithing is the training wheels for giving". God bless you, North.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:26 am

Homer wrote:As one well known radio commentator says "tithing is the training wheels for giving". God bless you, North.
Considering the focus on tithing from the pulpit, and the fact that it's not taught as such but as the "end" itself (almost always), and that people aren't called generally to a more Spirit-led approach with this provided as a good "starting point" in one's walk of Faith, it strikes me that it's considered by most churches not to be "training wheels" for the young Christian, but a "safety net" alternative for most churches to ensure their sustenance when they doesn't truly trust the provision and working of the Spirit in their members to sustain their intended "projects."

Many churches these days even suggest auto-pay on ones checking account (or even credit card) so they don't have to "think" about it.

Sorry for the jaded view, but either that's the case or the pastors actually do believe tithing is the "model" taught by Scripture for all believers.

Homer

Post by Homer » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:49 am

Darin,

You wrote:
Considering the focus on tithing from the pulpit.....
I can certainly understand your "jaded view". My experience is the opposite. At the church we have attended for over 25 years I can't recall it ever being mentioned in a sermon.

And you wrote:
Many churches these days even suggest auto-pay on ones checking account (or even credit card) so they don't have to "think" about it.
That's just awful. My own practice is to give weekly; it is good to confront the love of money every Sunday.

And:
Sorry for the jaded view, but either that's the case or the pastors actually do believe tithing is the "model" taught by Scripture for all believers.
I'm sure many do believe this. The are not without some good arguments, although I do not agree with them. I have a book somewhere I read years ago, written by a Mennonite, who made a pretty good case for it.

Return to “Giving/Tithing/Stewardship”