Begotten before all ages

Paidion

Re: Begotten before all ages

Post by Paidion » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:36 pm

Pierac wrote:No no no, Paidion!

Not through but "because of" or "on account of" The Greek... DIA

G1223
διά
dia; a prim. prep.; through, on account of, because of: - account (4), after (2), afterward (1), always *(2), because (111), between *(1), briefly *(1), charge *(1), constantly (1), continually *(6), during (1), forever *(1), gives (1), means (3), over (1), presence (1), reason (40), sake (41), sakes (5), since (1), so then *(1), so *(1), therefore *(16), this reason *(1), this *(1), though (1), through (225), through the agency (1), through *(1), view (2), way (3), what (1), why (3), why *(27).
Pierac, you cannot determine the meaning of a Greek preposition merely by looking at a Greek lexicon. If you study Greek, you will know that some prepositions have several meanings, and the meaning can be determined by the case of the noun which is the object of that prepostion.

When the object of ""δια" is in the genitive case, the meaning is "through".
When the object of ""δια" is in the accusative case, the meaning is "because of " or "on account of".

In John 1:3, the object of "δια" is "αὐτου" (him), and "αὐτου" is in the genitive case. Thus it's meaning is "through".

I don't understand why you have a problem with that. You, yourself, quoted a lexicon above which gave "through" as one of the meanings, and you emphasized "through the agency of" by bluing it. So what gives you a problem with "through"?

The last sentence in your post reads:
Paul explained that after the first came into being, then the Father created everything else in Him, through Him, and for Him.
I agree completely. I am puzzled. I fail to see where you think we disagree.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

selah

Post by selah » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:32 pm

When the object of ""δια" is in the genitive case, the meaning is "through".
When the object of ""δια" is in the accusative case, the meaning is "because of " or "on account of".

In John 1:3, the object of "δια" is "αὐτου" (him), and "αὐτου" is in the genitive case. Thus it's meaning is "through".
Paidion,

May I jump in here? I looked up the words "genitive" and "accusative" in the dictionary and the first word to describe both of them is the word "of." However, as the dictionary states, "genitive" relates to possession and "accusative" relates to an object.

Yet in your example above, John 1:3, you state that the object of those three Greek words is the genitive case (which relates to possession, not object.) I'm confused. Would you explain?

Does the word "against" ever translate differently, due to the genitive case verses accusative case?

Thank you,
Selah*
Jesus said, "I in them and you in Me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that you have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." John 17:23

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:32 pm

You are right that normally, the genitive case indicates possession. For example, in Greek "ο λογος του θεου" means "the word of God" or "God's word" where "του θεου" (of the God) is in the genitive case.

However, prepositions have objects. In Greek, objects of prepositions can be in the genitive case, the accusative case or the dative case. When the object of a preposition is in the genitive case, it is not a possessive.

It is true that the object of a verb is always in the accusative case and never in the genitive.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “The Trinity”