A New Illustration

mattrose

A New Illustration

Post by mattrose » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:27 pm

I am not one who believes that anything (like the triangle, the egg, or the H2O) can adequately illustrate the concept of the Trinity. That being said, I have been working on an illustration that may be helpful (though I'm sure it has many many flaws). I am actually using the following 2 paragraphs as my introduction for my final paper on 'What Constitutes Wesleyan Theology?' for my class. This illustration uses the pendulum.

Pivot= Father
Rod= Son
Gravity= Spirit
Bob= Church

A pendulum has four working features: A pivot, a rod, the Law of Gravity, and a bob. The pivot is the source. The rod connects the source to the bob. The bob swings back and forth in a constant struggle with gravity to exist at the center. This swinging follows a consistent trajectory made up of three key points: The extreme left, the center, and the extreme right. But the center point can also be considered extreme insomuch that, at this point of equilibrium, gravity causes the bob to reach its lowest position. In other words, at no other point is the bob closer to ground level.

Christian theology, also, has four working features: The Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit, and the Church. The Father is the source. The Son connects the Father to the Church. The Church swings back and forth in a constant struggle with the Spirit to exist at the center of God’s will. This swinging follows a consistent trajectory made up of three key points: The extreme left, the center, and the extreme right. But the center point can also be considered extreme insomuch that, at this point of equilibrium, the Spirit causes the Church to reach its lowest position. In other words, at no other point is the church closer to making an impact on the world.

Let me know how heretical I am :)

It is my theory that as the church becomes more and more filled with the Spirit, it becomes 'weightier' (so to speak) and, therefore, more centralized. Once the church maximizes its growth in quality and quantity, the 'weight' will effectively stop the swinging and time (the most common function of a pendulum) shall be no more.

Return to “The Trinity”