Shema Yisrael

Pierac

Re: Shema Yisrael

Post by Pierac » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:55 pm

Paidion wrote:Pierac quoted several translations which read similarly to the following:
CLV e-sword) Now Jesus said to him, "Why are you terming Me good? No one is good except One, God."
I am not sure why you quoted these translations, Pierac. They do not contradict anything I said in my post.

There is considerable difference in saying, "No one is good except One, God" and "No one is good except the one God." However, I was not making any theological argument. I was simply pointing out why the Greek construction does not admit the latter translation. You stated that it did.
I was showing the rawness of the translations into the English language. As you are aware the old Greek text did not contain commas or other markings leading to a literal English translation like...

"Why are you terming Me good No one is good except One God."

When you understand Jesus' own teaching about "The only true God" in John 17:3, then it's not too difficult to translate Jesus' understanding as 'the one God' of whom He came to reveal.

Surely you of all people know of the difficulty of translating from one culture to another, and then add the difference of language.

So, in a way we are both correct and incorrect all at the same time! ;)

Paul

Return to “The Trinity”