Deity of Christ, and God's glory shared.

RFCA

Deity of Christ, and God's glory shared.

Post by RFCA » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:09 am

Hi!

I was recently in a discussion to prove the deity of Jesus. I laid this argument:

Premise 1: God does not share His glory to anyone (Isa 42:8, Isa 48:11)
Premise 2: God's glory was shared by Christ (John 17:5)
Conclusion: Christ is also God because He had God's glory that is unshareable.

However I'm having difficulty fitting in John 17:22 where Jesus shared the glory of the Father with the church.
This would seem to give my opponent a reason to say that as Jesus shared the Father's glory to the church, the Father shared this glory to Christ thus making Christ not equal to God just as the church is not equal to Christ OR he could say that God's glory is shareable after all just as what Christ did (shared the Father's glory) to the church.

Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

Jill

Post by Jill » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:33 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sean

Re: Deity of Christ, and God's glory shared.

Post by Sean » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:27 am

petomaryland wrote:I don't get the part that says Jesus is the son of man. Do they mean son of Joseph and Mary?
I think the term "son of man" just means He's a man. Jesus certainly was a man who's father is God. He is Mary's son but not Joseph's.
He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth. (Isaiah 42:4)

Homer

Re: Deity of Christ, and God's glory shared.

Post by Homer » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:55 am

I agree with Sean. I have thought that Jesus meant to leave no doubt He was fully human, which was denied very early (Gnostics), and even today is not emphasized much.

Return to “The Trinity”