Believers Indwelt by Holy Spirit in Heaven?

Jeff

Believers Indwelt by Holy Spirit in Heaven?

Post by Jeff » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:41 pm

Hi Everyone,

This question came to me during church this morning, and I had never thought of before now. Will believers still continue to be indwelt by the Holy Spirit in heaven/eternity? Off the top of my head, I'm thinking there are no scriptures concerning this either way but I'm posting my question here for scriptures and/or opinions on this. At this point I'm thinking the answer (or at least my opinion) is no b/c still we will be in the imminent prescence of God (aka Eden) there is no need for us to have the Holy Spirit dwelling within us. But at the same time, I can't think of any scriptures that definitely say that we will not continue to have the Holy Spirit abiding within us even when we are with God in eternity.

Thanks,
Jeff

TK

Re: Believers Indwelt by Holy Spirit in Heaven?

Post by TK » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:00 am

Maybe a starting point is to ask the question whether Jesus was still indwelt by the HS after the resurrection. It seems that He was, in that he imparted the HS to his disciples by "breathing" on them. Of course, I don't know what exactly this means. Clearly, Jesus wasn't imparting just a "portion" of the HS that he had, as in "here's a little for you, and here's some for you, and also for you."

TK

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:47 am

Good point. Thank you for your insight!

TK

Post by TK » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:33 pm

Well, it's really not much of an insight because I have no idea whether Jesus was still indwelt by the HS after His resurrection. I think it is an interesting question- one that I have never considered before. And I have never considered your question, either.

If the reasons why the HS is given to believers no longer exist at death, then arguably his indwelling would no longer be needed after death. What we need is a list of the reasons why the HS is given to believers.

Anyone have one handy?

TK

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:33 pm

Well for me it's insight because it gave me something else to think about! This may be one of those "wait and find out on the other side" things!

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:47 pm

What a fascinating question -- I've been rolling this one around and it's led to more questions for me.

TK

Post by TK » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:19 am

Me too, darin. It's a hard one to get my mind around.

TK

Return to “The Trinity”