How many persons am I?

darinhouston

How many persons am I?

Post by darinhouston » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:51 pm

If I am made in God's image, I have body, spirit, mind, etc.

If God exists in three persons, in how many persons does man exist?

Paidion

Re: How many persons am I?

Post by Paidion » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:34 pm

Man exists in three persons: Mr. Body, Mrs. Soul, and M. Spirit.

Just kidding. But you made an excellent point if God is a compound Being consisting of three Persons.

If the word "God" in Genesis refers a Trinity, there is a problem to solve. However, if the word "God" in Genesis refers to the Father alone, there is no problem.

Actually there is not a single verse in the Bible where the word "God" refers to a Trinity.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

charleswest

Post by charleswest » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:39 pm

darinhouston wrote:If I am made in God's image, I have body, spirit, mind, etc.

(hu)Man exists in three persons. Father, Mother and Son.
“I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views... ” Abraham Lincoln. Excerpt from a letter to Horace Greeley. 22 August 1862
= = = =
Be Blessed. We Are Loved...
cw

brody196

Post by brody196 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:20 am

I'm not sure your analogy tells the whole story. The fact that we are "made in God's image" in no way denies the Trinity. God is also omniscient, but we aren't.

If you don't accept the Trinity, then how do you explain the fact that the Father, Son, and Spirit are all called "God" in the scripture?

brody196

Post by brody196 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:24 am

Paidion wrote:Man exists in three persons: Mr. Body, Mrs. Soul, and M. Spirit.

Just kidding. But you made an excellent point if God is a compound Being consisting of three Persons.

If the word "God" in Genesis refers a Trinity, there is a problem to solve. However, if the word "God" in Genesis refers to the Father alone, there is no problem.

Actually there is not a single verse in the Bible where the word "God" refers to a Trinity.
I'm sure you're aware that "God" in Genesis is "elohiym", which denotes plurality..? Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all* the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."

brody196

Post by brody196 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:29 am

What do you guys make of the word "Godhead", as used by Paul in Acts 17. Strong's has this to say regarding the word...

"1) a general name of deities or divinities as used by the Greeks
2) spoken of the only and true God, trinity
a) of Christ
b) Holy Spirit
c) the Father

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:58 am

brody196 wrote:

I'm not sure your analogy tells the whole story. The fact that we are "made in God's image" in no way denies the Trinity. God is also omniscient, but we aren't.

If you don't accept the Trinity, then how do you explain the fact that the Father, Son, and Spirit are all called "God" in the scripture?
I think you're confusing qualities and characteristics with existential nature. Maybe it's a category error, but that's what I'm trying to figure out. We are, certainly, different from God, but our natures are similar in some respects. We have attributed personality distinctions within the Godhead we don't attribute in any other walk of life. I'm just asking how that relates to anything else we know about. It would seem odd to use a paradigm not taught explicitly in scripture (such as personality) to resolve biblical concepts if there is no corollary.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:00 am

brody196 wrote:
Paidion wrote:Man exists in three persons: Mr. Body, Mrs. Soul, and M. Spirit.

I'm sure you're aware that "God" in Genesis is "elohiym", which denotes plurality..? Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all* the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."
There is no general agreement that elohiym denotes plurality -- some would say it denotes majesty. The "us" following could refer to a plurality of persons within a unified Godhead, or it could refer to some other pre-existent beings such as the angels or even Jesus as a pre-incarnate son.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:01 am

brody196 wrote:What do you guys make of the word "Godhead", as used by Paul in Acts 17. Strong's has this to say regarding the word...

"1) a general name of deities or divinities as used by the Greeks
2) spoken of the only and true God, trinity
a) of Christ
b) Holy Spirit
c) the Father
My translation(s) don't use the term "Godhead" but instead "Divine Nature" or the like.

Here are other uses of the terms which some translations render as "Godhead," each probably in context suggesting the "Divine Nature" is a better translation.

Act 17:29 Forasmuch then 3767 as we are 5225 the offspring 1085 of God 2316, we ought 3784 not 3756 to think 3543 that the Godhead 2304 is 1511 like 3664 unto gold 5557, or 2228 silver 696, or 2228 stone 3037, graven 5480 by art 5078 and 2532 man's 444 device 1761.

Rom 1:20 For 1063 the invisible things 517 of him 846 from 575 the creation 2937 of the world 2889 are clearly seen 2529, being understood 3539 by the things that are made 4161, [even] 5037 his 846 eternal 126 power 1411 and 2532 Godhead 2305; so 1519 that they 846 are 1511 without excuse 379:

Col 2:9 For 3754 in 1722 him 846 dwelleth 2730 all 3956 the fulness 4138 of the Godhead 2320 bodily 4985.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:24 pm

I, myself, don't think the fact that we are made in God's 'image' has anything to do with the idea that God is three 'Persons'. I think the idea that we are made in God's 'image' has more to do with us being made to rule, we are made with free-will, creativity, and some level of sovereignty over our lives.

I can see how if you thought the 'image' spoke to God's trinitarian nature, it would get pretty confusing!

Return to “The Trinity”