1. The church's one foundation
is Jesus Christ her Lord;
she is his new creation
by water and the Word.
From heaven he came and sought her
to be his holy bride;
with his own blood he bought her,
and for her life he died.
Not that any of this proves the Trinity, just that it's not unheard of to use a singular pronoun to refer to a multiple entity, especially the feminine pronoun in regard to the Body of Christ (as the Church.)

Paidion

Re: Is the trinity "extra-biblical"

Post by Paidion » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:00 pm

Thank you, Michelle. Eph 5:25 is a clear scriptural example of the Church being referred to as "her", and that's a corporate entity referred to with a singular pronoun.
Do you happen to know of any other scriptures which do so?
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:15 pm

Paidion wrote:Thank you, Michelle. Eph 5:25 is a clear scriptural example of the Church being referred to as "her", and that's a corporate entity referred to with a singular pronoun.
Do you happen to know of any other scriptures which do so?
Hi, Paidion, please don't take offense when I say that your request baffles me. I notice, with amusement, on the thread titled "Greg Koukl Napkin Argument for the Trinity," that Trinitarians think Greg Koukl's device is helpful, while non-Trinitarians believe it falls short. So goes the debate, on and on, since, I guess, that time St. Nichola slapped Arius. I'm sure it, the debate, will swirl unsettled for the rest of our lives.

You took JR to task over his pronoun usage, using some superlative language ("...no one ever...") and I backed his defense with a couple of examples. That's all I set out to do. I'm not really interested in providing either lessons in pronoun usage nor building a biblical case for or against the Trinity. The Prophets refer to the nation of Israel as "she" and "her," as many people do, even today, when referring to nations. I can list some if you want, but...why?

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:22 pm

Why? Because I mistakenly thought that a corporate entity is not referrerd to with a singular pronoun. You have shown that the Church is referred to in the NT as "she" and you have now indicated that you can also show that Israel also is. Do you happen to know any instance in which a coporate entity is referred to as "he" (other than the Trinity)?
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:35 pm

Paidion wrote:Do you happen to know any instance in which a corporate entity is referred to as "he" (other than the Trinity)?
Not off the top of my head.

Return to “The Trinity”