Baptism of Jesus

Homer

Re: Baptism of Jesus

Post by Homer » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:21 pm

I do not think we can nail down the reason Jesus submitted to baptism to just one thing. There are likely several reasons, more or less important. One could be example of submission. If we are to follow Him, how can we do so by going where He never went, if He wasn't baptized?

Many years ago I supervised a crew of electricians. One of our responsibilities was to keep the flashing lights operating at the top of a 300 ft. tall smokestack at a paper mill. The FAA required that they be out of operation no more than 24 hours. I dreaded the day when I would have to send men up the ladder to the top to repair the lights. When the day came I went with them; I did not feel I could send them where I would not go.

Darrell

Re: Baptism of Jesus

Post by Darrell » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:27 pm

Greetings All,
Submitted for your consideration.
John’s Gospel 1:29–34
29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
30 This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for he was before me.
31 And I knew him not (did not know him as the Messiah) but that he should be made manifest (revealed) to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water.
John’s reason for baptizing, to reveal the “The One” to Israel.

32 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.
33 And I knew him not (as The One): but he (God) that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.
34 And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God.

John was sent by God to baptize because it was the means by which God had chosen to reveal the Messiah, His Son to Israel. God instructed John to watch for His, God’s sign – the Spirit descending and remaining on the One. As Paidion pointed out, Jesus told John “for thus it becometh us (John and Jesus) to fulfil all righteousness Mat 3:15.

John’s part was to baptize, watch for God’s sign and bare witness. Jesus’ part was to submit to baptism so God could reveal Him to Israel as the One, His only begotten Son.

It was necessary for Jesus to be baptized by John for all righteousness (concerning God’s plan for revealing His Son) to be accomplished /fulfilled. For either to refuse or neglect would have been disobedience. Together they accomplished / were obedient to God's design.

Live Blest - d

Return to “The Trinity”