Worship of Jesus in NT

Paidion

Re: Worship of Jesus in NT

Post by Paidion » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:05 pm

Dwight wrote:Titus 2:13 "... looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus, ..."

Whose appearing are we hoping for? None other than "our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus".
Not all translators interpret the passage in this way. Consider the following translations which distinguish between "the great God" and "our Savior Jesus Christ":

Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God, and our Savior Jesus Christ (Webster)

and the Douay translation, a translation by Roman Catholics (who are Trinitarians):

Looking for the blessed hope and coming of the glory of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:45 pm

But some do.

Also we are not looking for the Father to appear or come. We are looking for Jesus to appear or come - our great God.

John 8:58 - Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM. Pretty convincing, wouldn't you say?

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:40 pm

dwight92070 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:45 pm
But some do.

Also we are not looking for the Father to appear or come. We are looking for Jesus to appear or come - our great God.

John 8:58 - Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM. Pretty convincing, wouldn't you say?
Not at all. There are a lot of various interpretations of this passage, but I quite like this one... I normally like to reproduce it for future reference because sites do disappear. This one is a bit long, so I'll just link to it.

https://www.angelfire.com/space/thegosp ... n8_58.html

Also, there is a topic on this passage on this forum you may be interested in. https://theos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=6020

..... and did you see my response on the glory of our great God coming in Jesus?

Return to “The Trinity”