Bill Schlegel Videos

commonsense

Re: Bill Schlegel Videos

Post by commonsense » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:59 pm

dwight92070 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:22 am
Dwight - There would be catastrophic confusion if He had not come as a human being, because no one could be saved. Thank God that He came as a man to redeem us.
Dwight, I think you may be confused, which is an example of the confusion I'm talking about. Obedience to the word of God is what saves us. Jesus was a teacher and an example of what that word means.

Love others as yourself, aka the Golden rule, IS the word.
"The two greatest commandments are which hangs all the law and the prophets."
"All the law is fulfilled even in this, 'Love others as yourself.' "

It is what wipes away our sin and redeems us.
"Cease to do evil and learn to do good, and your sin shall be as white as snow."
"Let the wicked forsake his way and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord and He will abundantly pardon."
"Incline your ear and come to Me, HEAR and your soul shall live."

It is the "sacrifice" that pleases God and in which we are born of the Spirit, producing the fruit thereof.
"Every tree that does not bear good fruit will be cut down."

It is the foundation, the Rock on which we stand and build our "houses".

As a wise man once said, "That which is hateful to you, do not do to another. This is the whole Torah, the rest is commentary. Now go and study." (Hillel)

Homer

Post by Homer » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:59 pm

Commensense,

You wrote:
Dwight, I think you may be confused, which is an example of the confusion I'm talking about. Obedience to the word of God is what saves us. Jesus was a teacher and an example of what that word means.
So you apparently believe you earn your salvation? Where does grace fit into your system?

Please provide your explanation of Jesus' teaching in the following parable so we can better understand your position:

Luke 18:9-14
New American Standard Bible
The Pharisee and the Tax Collector
9 Now He also told this parable to some people who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and viewed others with contempt: 10 “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood and began praying this in regard to himself: ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other people: swindlers, crooked, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I pay tithes of all that I get.’ 13 But the tax collector, standing some distance away, was even unwilling to raise his eyes toward heaven, but was beating his chest, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, the sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man went to his house justified rather than the other one; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”

commonsense

Post by commonsense » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:38 pm

Homer wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:59 pm
So you apparently believe you earn your salvation? Where does grace fit into your system?
Homer, this is another example of the confusion I'm talking about.
Homer wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:59 pm
but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.
The one who humbles himself will be exalted.
Humble- compliant, conforming to the authority or will of God, submissive

'You see then that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone."
"The world and it's desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God abides forever."
"Therefore, everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock."

Obedience to the word of God is essential to salvation. The word is not a man. Loving others as ourselves is the word of God. It always was and always will be.

'Let the wicked forsake his way and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, and He will have mercy on him, and He will abundantly pardon."
Cease to do evil, learn to do good and your sin shall be as white as snow."
THIS is the grace of God.

Otherness

Post by Otherness » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:11 pm

otherness>>>Steve is saying that the “created i am” (that man is) has no business (whatsoever) saying to Uncreated I AM that He cannot be Who He says He IS.<<<

commonsense>>>Otherness, Jesus was a man. So, in your own words, He would be a created i am.<<<

No...there's more than meets the (natural) eye here. Just as a starter remember Abraham's encounter with the three men in Genesis 18, two of whom are identified as angels with the other being “the LORD.” But the deeper reality here is that, in the Trinitarian model, Uncreated I AM (the LOGOS) emptied Himself and clothed His (naked) I AM with the reality of what it is to be a “created i am.” He entered (visited) His Creation through the womb and knew it in the intimacy (as in, Adam knew his wife) of experiencing it as a man. This was all for our sake because He was communicating Himself to our deepest need : His real, palpable, Presence in the core of what we are. We are gifted with THAT (HIM) which (WHO) Adam lost for us in the beginning.

commonsense>>>These people of the Old Testament are saying that god is NOT human, He is not anything that is created. God cannot be seen with the naked. The physical creation itself is not God, nor is anything in it. "They worshiped the creation rather than the Creator." ”God is Spirit." He isn't the sun, the moon, a tree, a cat, a cow, any other "creeping thing that crawls on the earth" nor is He a man, or any object that has been created by man. God is INVISIBLE. Yet, we can "see" Him. Just as we cannot see the law of physics, or the law of gravity etc. etc., there is a Law that comes from God, by which we live. It is otherwise known as the word, the Law of Christ, the moral code that is written in our hearts etc. This is God (His authority) as it says, "The Word was God." and "The word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart that you should obey it." and "My words are Spirit and they give life."<<<

God is not, ontologically, anything that is created, but He is free, of course, to move freely within all that is created. Remember that the whole Creation consists (holds together) in Him (Colossians 1:17), and that it is in Him that we live and move, and have our being (Acts 17:28).

Our salvation is in this restored intimacy, and the simplicity of the Gospel is not be corrupted by a return to any kind of a “religious system.”

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:41 am

If God Himself did not become a man, and then offer Himself as an atoning sacrifice, then I think it is safe to say, that we could not be saved. If He sent someone else, other than Himself, to die for our sins, then I think that it is also safe to say, that we would be lost.

Hebrews 2:14 - Therefore, since the children share in flesh and blood, He Himself likewise also partook of the same (which He had not done before the incarnation), that through death He might render powerless him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, and might free those who through fear of death were subject to slavery all their lives.

John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends. If God sent someone, other than Himself, to die for our sins, then He has not demonstrated this great love for us. If, however, He Himself died for our sins, then He has demonstrated the greatest love for us.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:43 am

dwight92070 wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:41 am
If God Himself did not become a man, and then offer Himself as an atoning sacrifice, then I think it is safe to say, that we could not be saved. If He sent someone else, other than Himself, to die for our sins, then I think that it is also safe to say, that we would be lost.
Scripture doesn't tell us that we are saved because God became a man, but it does tell us that our savior/Messiah was made as a man (not an angel or other non-human) to suffer and experience life as we all do, so that his obedience and death was effective to destroy Satan as a mediator, etc. and to serve as an anti-Adam and as an example to us of what our lives should look like and so that our faith in him and acceptance of him as Lord and mediator would bring us back in communion with God so that their spirit could live in and through us.
dwight92070 wrote:
Hebrews 2:14 - Therefore, since the children share in flesh and blood, He Himself likewise also partook of the same (which He had not done before the incarnation), that through death He might render powerless him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, and might free those who through fear of death were subject to slavery all their lives.
The "he" here is not with reference to God, but to Jesus.
dwight92070 wrote:
John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends. If God sent someone, other than Himself, to die for our sins, then He has not demonstrated this great love for us. If, however, He Himself died for our sins, then He has demonstrated the greatest love for us.
God's love was demonstrated by giving His Son (For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son...). Jesus' love was demonstrated by laying down his own life (not just his death, but in his life).

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:32 pm

My position is that Jesus is not "God", either in the sense of being the Father, or in the sense of being part of a Trinity (a third century view).

Yet Jesus is more than an ordinary man, because He is God's "only begotten" son. For that reason it would be correct to refer to him as being "divine".

However, according to the author of "2 Peter", whoever he was (almost certainly not the apostle Peter), ordinary people can also partake of the Divine Nature.

Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. (2 Peter 1:2-40 NKJV)
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

commonsense

Post by commonsense » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:27 pm

Otherness wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:11 pm
No...there's more than meets the (natural) eye here. Just as a starter remember Abraham's encounter with the three men in Genesis 18, two of whom are identified as angels with the other being “the LORD.” But the deeper reality here is that, in the Trinitarian model, Uncreated I AM (the LOGOS) emptied Himself and clothed His (naked) I AM with the reality of what it is to be a “created i am.” He entered (visited) His Creation through the womb and knew it in the intimacy (as in, Adam knew his wife) of experiencing it as a man. This was all for our sake because He was communicating Himself to our deepest need : His real, palpable, Presence in the core of what we are. We are gifted with THAT (HIM) which (WHO) Adam lost for us in the beginning.
Othrness, it sounds like you are a believer in the original sin theory. I'm not, so we aren't on the same page. You point out that Abraham was in the Lord's presence. Abraham was a friend of God. Apparently he had an intimate relationship with God. This might be for another topic as it can be quite lengthy.
Otherness wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:11 pm
Our salvation is in this restored intimacy, and the simplicity of the Gospel is not be corrupted by a return to any kind of a “religious system.”
I agree. A " religious system" is man's workings and our salvation lies in obedience to the Law of the Spirit which is to love others as ourselves. God did not need to become a man in order for man to know this.
As the prophet Isaiah says:Chapter 58
Is this not the fast that I have chosen to loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, to let the oppressed go free. Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, ....and so on and so forth . Then the Lord will guide you continually and satisfy your soul, strengthen your bones and you shall be like a watered garden and like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail.

Otherness

Post by Otherness » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:29 pm

This reply addresses comments by commonsense, Paidion, and darinhouston. Thank you brothers for sharing your thinking with us. Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!

commonsense>>>Otherness, it sounds like you are a believer in the original sin theory. I'm not, so we aren't on the same page.<<<

Yes, regardless of how you frame it, sin's ORIGEN in our domain of reality, occurred in “the Garden” in “the beginning” of the human experience. Call it “original sin,” or “the Fall,” or “alienation from God,” but, yes...this made it impossible for humanity to hit the MARK on the (life) trajectory it was now on. Please remember that to “miss the mark” is the very meaning of the Greek word for sin. The practical consequence of this “original sin” was the loss of the Person / person (natural) intimacy that God intended for Himself and Man. This natural affection (2 Timothy 3:3 KJV) would have oriented Man outside himself , thus making him an other-centered being. As it is Man defaulted to being self-centered and demonstrates this SIN in all manner of thoughts and deeds. This existential / ontological corruption of Man's being is the root of all “sins,” and corrupts all it touches, and all that touches it : it is “uncleanness” itself.

Left to ourselves, without the perspective of the Holy Spirit's Presence within us, we really have no idea that there is any other way of being than being self-centered. We are so inured to self-centeredness that we don't (can”t) even recognize that it is the offspring of (that original) sin.

commonsense>>>I agree. A " religious system" is man's workings and our salvation lies in obedience to the Law of the Spirit which is to love others as ourselves. God did not need to become a man in order for man to know this.<<<

Remember what God said to Israel through Jeremiah (7:22-23) to point out the danger of (mere) obedience to any (concept of) Law. He certainly did speak to them of burnt offerings and sacrifices, but these became ends in themselves to them, and they missed the mark, again, for which the words were intended. The Scripture and the Church are indispensable to the individual Christian, but remember the worthy critique of history in regard of both. It goes something like this : “Catholics worship the Church, and Protestants worship the Bible, but they both have fallen short of (fallen away from) loving God with all the heart and soul and mind and strength.”

God became man to save us from (even this) deception, itself (Matthew 24:24).

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Paidion>>>My position is that Jesus is not "God", either in the sense of being the Father, or in the sense of being part of a Trinity (a third century view). Yet Jesus is more than an ordinary man, because He is God's "only begotten" son. For that reason it would be correct to refer to him as being "divine". However, according to the author of "2 Peter", whoever he was (almost certainly not the apostle Peter), ordinary people can also partake of the Divine Nature.<<<

The Divine Nature is the Nature of God : the Nature of the Father : the Nature of His (Holy) Spirit. Remembering that in the beginning the Logos was God, and knowing from Isaiah 43:10 that HE Who is I AM says : “...Before Me there was no God formed, Nor shall there be after Me,” well...how do you reconcile this with your belief that Jesus has the Nature of God (by nature), but is not I AM?

Elsewhere you have referred to the Trinity as a concept of a “compound God.” To characterize Trinitarianism as describing a compound God connotes (actually, denotes), to my mind, a way of thinking that “misses” an accurate understanding of what the formalism and rationale hopes to communicate. That is, it is too coarse (carnal, material, physical) a word to capture the spiritual essence of the thinking; rather, the word that comes closest, in my thinking, is multidimensional. Pointedly, this is not just a semantic nuance because Trinitarianism describes an immaterial realty -- a multidimensional Spirit (John 4:24). This Pure Spirit is surely not less wondrous than the demonstrably multidimensional Reality that He creates.

Previously on this forum I have used this multidimensional reality (that science has confirmed) to “reverse engineer” the Trinitarian Formulation. God is reclaiming, in our days, the evidence that is Natural Theology so that the bully pulpit of the putative authority of science can be rationally deconstructed. He is “letting“ science, on its own terms, draw the “rational” mind back to(ward) Himself.

We make a critical error when we presuppose that the created “i am” has any competency whatsoever to subject Uncreated I AM to its logic, to its measure. If (and this “if” is only for argument's sake) The Creator exists in a Trinitarian State, then this must be “the given” for any subsequent (logical) thought, because TRUTH (God) is the foundation of all right thinking and reason.

The right understanding of the TriUnity of the Godhead, and His (creative) purpose in existing in such a State, is where we Christians will find the “unity” (power) to overcome our denominational / doctrinal differences. In a sense we will find the creative symmetry that was broken so that diversity might have actual being, thus (even) making possible the very (real) beings that we (ingeniously) are.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

darinhouston>>>dwight92070 wrote “Hebrews 2:14 - Therefore, since the children share in flesh and blood, He Himself likewise also partook of the same (which He had not done before the incarnation), that through death He might render powerless him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, and might free those who through fear of death were subject to slavery all their lives.”<<<

darinhouston>>>The "he" here is not with reference to God, but to Jesus.<<<

How do you reconcile this statement of yours that “he” does not refer to God, but to Jesus, with the Apostle's statement that Jesus is the Logos made flesh; that the Logos was God?

Love, in the mystery of the fellowship

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:02 pm

Otherness wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:29 pm

darinhouston>>>dwight92070 wrote “Hebrews 2:14 - Therefore, since the children share in flesh and blood, He Himself likewise also partook of the same (which He had not done before the incarnation), that through death He might render powerless him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, and might free those who through fear of death were subject to slavery all their lives.”<<<

How do you reconcile this statement of yours that “he” does not refer to God, but to Jesus, with the Apostle's statement that Jesus is the Logos made flesh; that the Logos was God?

Otherness wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:29 pm

I'm glad you asked. I take what I think is the most conventional and honest approach of taking what is a very clear scripture (the Collossians passage and many like it) and interpreting the more opaque/obscure one in light of it (the preamble of John).

How to interpret John is a very long discussion and has been dealt with elsewhere here (and at the very least would be better to address in a separate post), but there are quite a few reasonable approaches to interpreting John from a non-trinitarian perspective. I think the first key is understanding that John isn't saying that the Logos is the self-same individual as (numerical identity of) Jesus. Whatever the "word" is, it was "enfleshed' in or "became" flesh. That is not to say there was a pre-incarnate sentient, individual person from all eternity "called" the word that was merely transformed from a pre-incarnate self to an incarnate self. That goes WAY further than John does and is not consistent with contemporary understandings of Logos, which seems much more in line with how Proverbs and other wisdom literature personifies "Wisdom." There are many thoughts about what Logos meant by the highly Hellenized world to which John wrote, but I think he had multiple audiences in mind and multiple contexts in mind when he wrote what is a highly poetic and purposefully familiar yet opaque prologue to "grab the attention" of Jews (traditional and hellenized) as well as the heavy thread of gnostic/hermetic cosmologies and discourses on the "logos" and "light" and that sort of thing. It drew on the Genesis account perhaps in parallel to the New Creation of the New Covenant, as well as the gnostic/hermetic traditions about the hierarchies of gods and spiritual vs earthly truths and realities.

Many see the logos as the plan or thoughts or purpose of God. I think that's sort of right. But, the term had a wide range of understandings in a spiritual context. I heard recently about a Jewish Targum Neofiti which discusses at great length what the Aramaic calls God's "memra" (Aramaic equivalent to the Greek Logos). It was used in a variety of ways in connection with God but was mostly used to refer to God Himself when He interacted in some way with His creation. Where scripture says "God did such and such" or "man agreed with God" or the like, the Targum spoke of God's word doing such and such" or "man agreed with God's word". I think for each audience, the word means something slightly different and John beautifully speaks to both groups. In general, I think it means that God dealt with creation in many ways, but that word with which He created the universe and held it together and interacted with mankind... well, He made a man - a second Adam - to be that agent of his word - more than an agent, what Jesus was was what God was. He was the perfect image of God. What He did perfectly embodied what God wanted us to know about Himself. Being "with" God doesn't mean an actual literal presence along with God. I believe it means that he was perfectly aligned with and in agreement with God. There's a lot more to say, but that's the gist. Here's one commentary on John 1:1 if you're interested. https://www.revisedenglishversion.com/John/1/1

I again commend this scholarly article on John and gnostic influences. https://www.scribd.com/document/475140424/Chandler-pdf

How do you reconcile it? Merely by appeal to mystery? That does not seem to be a very reliable way to reconcile difficult texts as it has no bounding conditions.

Return to “The Trinity”