What Is Man?

seer

What Is Man?

Post by seer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:27 am

The accidental by product of natural forces, with no intrinsic worth or purpose? Or a being created for a purpose, loved by God and inherently worthy? Doesn't how one answers this question color our view of life, ourselves and our fellow man? Isn't it of paramount importance?
Thanks to the human heart by which we live, thanks to its tenderness, its joys, and fears, To me the meanest flower that blows can give thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears. Wordsworth

Paidion

Re: What Is Man?

Post by Paidion » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:37 pm

There is a purpose for God to have created man (free-will agents). I think that purpose is to relate to Him, by submitting to Him and receiving His enabling grace (Titus 2) in order to be freed from his sinful nature, a nature that results in acts which harms others as well as himself.

One might say, "But why wouldn't He be satisfied with relating to the angels? Aren't they free-will agents who relate to Him? Yes, seemingly. Some of them rebelled against him. Yet there are "things into which angels long to look." (1 Peter 1:12) — things of salvation which pertain to man but not to angels.

However, I am not sure that God has a unique purpose for each individual human being.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

seer

Post by seer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:12 pm

Paidion wrote: However, I am not sure that God has a unique purpose for each individual human being.
Well sure, wouldn't God's purpose for every man be to love Him and to love their fellow man?
Thanks to the human heart by which we live, thanks to its tenderness, its joys, and fears, To me the meanest flower that blows can give thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears. Wordsworth

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:27 pm

Well sure, wouldn't God's purpose for every man be to love Him and to love their fellow man?
Yes. That's why I suggested not being sure God has "a unique purpose for each human being", that is a unique purpose peculiar to each individual human being as opposed to His genereal purpose for all human beings. For example, I am not sure God thinks in the following way:

Joe Bloe, my plan for you is to be a minister of the gospel throughout your life; Jim Schlim, I know you want to be a minister, but that's not my plan for you. I want you to be a farmer. And Jack Spratt, you are to work in an abattoir for 5 years, and then take a job driving a transport truck for 3 years, after which you are to serve as a missionary for 4½ years. At the end of that time, you are to seek me, and I will reveal what I want to you to do next.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

seer

Post by seer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:41 am

Paidion wrote:
Yes. That's why I suggested not being sure God has "a unique purpose for each human being", that is a unique purpose peculiar to each individual human being as opposed to His genereal purpose for all human beings. For example, I am not sure God thinks in the following way:

Joe Bloe, my plan for you is to be a minister of the gospel throughout your life; Jim Schlim, I know you want to be a minister, but that's not my plan for you. I want you to be a farmer. And Jack Spratt, you are to work in an abattoir for 5 years, and then take a job driving a transport truck for 3 years, after which you are to serve as a missionary for 4½ years. At the end of that time, you are to seek me, and I will reveal what I want to you to do next.
Yes, but the point of my OP is that there can be no overall purpose for mankind apart from some form of theist. No inherent worth or even any moral goals. No behavior is better or worse in and of itself - if kindness helps a species survive than that is good, if cruelty helps survival then that is good.

Return to “Creation/Evolution”