Can God do all things?

_Perry

Post by _Perry » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:10 am

Hiya Derek,

I will try to get a bit more back on track here.
When I die, my physical body will cease functioning while I go on to be with the Lord. The same thing happened for Jesus before His ressurection.

We most certainly do go on to "another kind of living" after we physically die (as did Jesus). That is why it's called "eternal life".
You’re making some very dogmatic, and very disputable assertions here about the intermediate state. Since you seem concerned about thread drift, maybe it’s better to leave it for now.
No. The immortal God cannot die. If a person in the Godhead takes on the human nature, that person can physically die though.
Correct my mistake in the following.
1). God is immortal, by scriptural assertion.
2). What is immortal, by definition, cannot die.
3). The Word is God, by scriptural assertion.
4). Jesus is the Word, by scriptural assertion.
5). (From 3 & 4) Jesus is (and always has been) God.
6). (From 1 & 5) Jesus is immortal.
Have I made any mistakes yet?
No, I'm not "saying that you said that". You need to read my post a bit more carefully. I qualified this statement by saying "if you anwered "yes" to my above questions, you are stating that it's possible to break the law of non-contradiction". Then, I made the above statement, showing examples which break said rule.
I think this whole business of asking what happens when God does what God doesn’t do is not very fruitful. This all sprung from my assertion that I believe that God’s word is causal. I take the position that God’s word defines reality. I gave examples of it. Here it is stated plainly in scripture:

John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

God can say, “you are sanctified” and that becomes the truth. Reality conforms to what God says. Hence it is impossible for God to lie.

Your response to this, at least it seemed to me your response was, to posit what happens if God says something illogical. I resist this notion. God doesn’t say illogical things. That was my initial response.

You may well suppose anything once you posit “What happens when what doesn’t happen happens?” I see this is a complete non sequitur.

Reality conforming to God’s word is something that indeed does happen and is observable in the scripture and is emphatically stated in the John 17:17.

You may press the issue, my forcing me to answer the question, “What happens if God says something illogical.” My answer remains the same… I think it’s a non question. It would certainly be interesting to see. If God says, “the lamp is blue and red” then I say, that’s an interesting lamp indeed, whereas, it seems to me, you say, “God is wrong.” At least I believe that was the position you took when you said that logic would not give place to God’s word.

So in this increasingly speculative realm of non-reality, where what doesn’t happen happens, and God says what God doesn’t say, where 3=1, where exist=not exist, where married=bachelor, and where alive=dead, I hold that the rules of logic fall apart, and that God’s word, even here amidst all this chaos, remains true.

It may be that the statement “one God in three Persons” in and of itself breaks no rules of logic. I concede that point. But, imo, it inevitably leads to statements that are, as I tried to demonstrate in showing that it leads to things like, what’s immortal can die or death is not death.
I would rather not even discuss the trinity. You brought it up!
And I will drop it. I don’t want you to feel shoehorned into a conversation in which you would rather not participate.

Take care,
Perry
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_TK

Post by _TK » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:37 pm

could God create a being exactly like himself, except for the eternal past existence part?

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Derek

Post by _Derek » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:49 pm

TK wrote:could God create a being exactly like himself, except for the eternal past existence part?

TK
Then said God would not be like Himself. It's not the same problem.

Not a logical problem anyway.
Last edited by _AlexRodriguez on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Derek

Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.
Psalm 20:7

_Derek

Post by _Derek » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:24 pm

Hi Perry,

Quote:
When I die, my physical body will cease functioning while I go on to be with the Lord. The same thing happened for Jesus before His ressurection.

We most certainly do go on to "another kind of living" after we physically die (as did Jesus). That is why it's called "eternal life".

You’re making some very dogmatic, and very disputable assertions here about the intermediate state. Since you seem concerned about thread drift, maybe it’s better to leave it for now.
It's a pretty standard and historical belief. That doesn't make it right of course. I didn't mean to sound "dogmatic". You can take it all with an IMO, if you want. We should leave it though, I'm afraid.
Correct my mistake in the following.
1). God is immortal, by scriptural assertion.
2). What is immortal, by definition, cannot die.
3). The Word is God, by scriptural assertion.
4). Jesus is the Word, by scriptural assertion.
5). (From 3 & 4) Jesus is (and always has been) God.
6). (From 1 & 5) Jesus is immortal.
Have I made any mistakes yet?
Let me look at this for a bit and get back to you.

I am not interested in taking the discussion of the trinity past it's barest form (one God three persons) on this thread.

If you would like to start a thread asking "Is the Trinity Logical?" that would be great.

I don't mean that I don't want to talk about it ever.
I think this whole business of asking what happens when God does what God doesn’t do is not very fruitful. This all sprung from my assertion that I believe that God’s word is causal. I take the position that God’s word defines reality. I gave examples of it. Here it is stated plainly in scripture:

I think that "God does not lie" means that He does not say that which is untrue. Not that He just makes whatever He says true, whether it is or not.

I think this is proven by the fact that God cannot do that which is illogical.

By the way, you are right, something that is "illogical" is something that "doesn't happen". I agree with that.

I think that it is fruitful to point out bad reasoning.

To say that God can break the rules of logic, is bad reasoning, in my opinion.

By necessity, even if you don't come out and say it, you have to believe that God can do the contradictory things that I mentioned. Those are all clear cases of contradiction. If you don't agree, for instance, that God can make a married bachalor, then your position is refuted. It doesn't matter that those are things that He "doesn't do", first of all, because the topic of the thread is "Can God Do All Things", not "What does God do."

Secondly, this is the logical extension of the statement, "God can break the rules of logic". You have to either say that God can do these contradictions, or change your opinion. Just saying "God doesn't do those things" does not solve the dilemma. Saying that it's a "non-question" amounts to not much more than name calling. It really doesn't solve what is a genuine philosophical dilemma for the position you are putting forth.

I realize that a "married bachalor" is non-sense. But why is it non-sense? How do we know? Because it's illogical, and thus impossible. I am not limiting God in any way by saying that He can't do this.
Reality conforming to God’s word is something that indeed does happen and is observable in the scripture and is emphatically stated in the John 17:17.
Could you show how that is what is meant in that passage exegetically? It seems to say that what God says is true. Am I coming out of left field when I think this just means He doesn't lie? How does this mean "reality conforms to God's word" (thus making it true) any more or less than, simply, "what God says is true" (because it's not false)?

It basically says, (IMO) "Sanctify them by Your word, which is truth."

This is not to say that if God says, "You're healed of blindness", or "get up and walk", that these aren't cases of "reality conforming to God's word". "Let there be light" would be another such case. However, these are not examples of God saying anything illogical (as I'm sure you agree).

They are also not examples which prove the theory, "God's word is truth, because reality conforms to God's word". (As opposed to "God's word is truth, simply because it is not false".)

By the way, it is one thing to say, "reality conforms to God's words", and to say that "God can break the rules of logic". A married bachalor cannot possibly be part of reality. Nor can any of the other contradictions I mentioned. If you agree with this, then you agree with my opinion that God can do all that is possible (which excludes the illogical). And we can stop arguing. :D

God bless you brother,
Last edited by _AlexRodriguez on Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:
Derek

Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.

_Perry

Post by _Perry » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:14 pm

TK wrote:could God create a being exactly like himself, except for the eternal past existence part?
It is not an uncommon doctrine that this is, in fact, exactly what God is doing. It might even be true.

Perry
Reason:

_Perry

Post by _Perry » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:16 pm

Derek wrote:

TK
Then said God would not be like Himself.
Just as a point of clarity, TK didn't say a "God" he said a "being". I suspect that TK's word choice was not accidental.

Perry
Reason:

_Derek

Post by _Derek » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:26 pm

Perry wrote:
Derek wrote:

TK
Then said God would not be like Himself.
Just as a point of clarity, TK didn't say a "God" he said a "being". I suspect that TK's word choice was not accidental.

Perry
Thanks. I over looked that.

I would say that the "being" would still only be "very similar" to Him.

I can see not obvious logical reason why this couldn't be possible. But theologically, there may be.

It would appear from the scriptures that there is no such being.

Isa 46:9 "Remember the former things long past, For I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is no one like Me...

God bless,
Last edited by _AlexRodriguez on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Derek

_Derek

Post by _Derek » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:44 pm

So in this increasingly speculative realm of non-reality, where what doesn’t happen happens, and God says what God doesn’t say, where 3=1
Ok, one more thing about the trinity. It must be pointed out, that the formula "3=1" is of course illogical. But you are erecting a straw man here, because the trinity doctrine does not put it forth that way.

No one is saying "3 Gods = 1 God", or "3 persons = 1 person". These are illogical because "God" and "person" respectively, are being used in the same sense in both halves of the formulas. The trinity doctrine states "One God in Three Persons". A very different statement. That is what has to be demonstrated to be illogical.

God bless,
Reason:
Derek

_Perry

Post by _Perry » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:26 pm

Hiya Derek, hope all is well with you.
Derek wrote:Let me look at this for a bit and get back to you.
I look forward to it. Feel free to open up a new thread quoting those six "axioms" at such time is convenient for you. (Or if you prefer, I will). I think I'll find it helpful. I want to go on record as saying that, though I'm still argueing against the trinity, and I'm not convinced that it's wrong. I'm just not convinced that it's right either. This exchange with you is definately helping me clarify my thinking.
Derek wrote:I think that it is fruitful to point out bad reasoning. To say that God can break the rules of logic, is bad reasoning, in my opinion.
I think we're at a stale mate. You give preimmenance to logic, and I give preimmenance to God. I feel like I have the moral high ground here. :wink:

But again, if you say, "when God says something illogical, logic is supreme" and I say, "no, even then, God's word is supreme", neither of us are saying anything meaningful. I'll agree with you... when the stay puff marshmellow man rides a pasta surfboard in the moonlight. :wink:
Derek wrote: Joh 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
Could you show how that is what is meant in that passage exegetically?
This is probably not proper exegisis but, here goes...

It appears to me that, in phrase, "thy word is truth" is an aside. It doesn't really clarify anything that comes before or after, and as such, stands on it's on. Whether we say "thy word is truth" or, as you put it, "thy word, which is truth" it's saying the same thing. God's word is truth. Truth is God's word.

I've already listed several examples where God's word affects immediate and dramatic change. (That is to say, truth became what God said.) You need only cite one instance of God's word being ineffectual to refute my point.
Isa 55:10 For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:
Isa 55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
I'm curious as to why you object to the idea that God's is causal. Is it because you think it is illogical? Wasn't it God's word that created the universe? What happened to reality when God said, "Let there be light"? Did reality stay the same, or did it conform to His word?
Psa 148:1 Praise ye the LORD. Praise ye the LORD from the heavens: praise him in the heights.
Psa 148:2 Praise ye him, all his angels: praise ye him, all his hosts.
Psa 148:3 Praise ye him, sun and moon: praise him, all ye stars of light.
Psa 148:4 Praise him, ye heavens of heavens, and ye waters that be above the heavens.
Psa 148:5 Let them praise the name of the LORD: for he commanded, and they were created.
Psa 148:6 He hath also stablished them for ever and ever: he hath made a decree which shall not pass.
I don't think you're going to go this direction (but just in case) as I've already said, God's word can be, and often is, descriptive. In such cases, His word has utmost veracity. Morever, there's nothing I've said that prevents God from using figurative language to describe reality in a truthful yet figurative way. As I say, I don't think you were going to go there, but that probably needed to be said.

This too is a digression from the topic of the thread, but I don't think I'm as concerned with thread drift as you are... <shrug>

Take care,

Perry
Reason:

_Perry

Post by _Perry » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:33 pm

Heh, we're cross posting... :D
Derek wrote: I can see not obvious logical reason why this couldn't be possible. But theologically, there may be.

It would appear from the scriptures that there is no such being.

Isa 46:9 "Remember the former things long past, For I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is no one like Me...
You may well be right about this. What about this scripture as a possible counter point?
1Jn 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
See ya,
Perry
Reason:

Return to “Christian Evidences & Challenges”