Infidel guy on way of the master radio

_SoaringEagle

Infidel guy on way of the master radio

Post by _SoaringEagle » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:58 pm

I just got finished listening to a discussion between a representative of Way of the Master ministries and Reggie Finley, the infidel guy. To listen to the discussion, go to http://www.freethoughtmedia.com/infidelguy.ftm.

To sum it up, his main points he brought to the table concerning why he doesn't believe the bible and why he thinks it is silly are:

1) based on God's actions found in the bible, he concludes Yahweh is not truly good. For example, Yahweh ordered Moses and the group to kill many people. Reggie thinks this is not good. (my opinion on this is irrelevant at this point).

2) how can God be truly good, if he created adam and eve as literal people, and placed a forbidded tree there where he knew in advance (before time) that they would disobey. He calls this entrapment.

3) how can God be truly good if he created evil (Isa 45:7 I think it is), and caused or allowed things like 9/11, the hurricanes, and the like. Thus, based on the bibles claims of God, and the happenings in the world, the bible's claims are "silly".

4) The fact that the bible claims God is just and mercy pose a problem to him, because to him, these are contradictory, and he wonders how God can be both.

It was intersting to hear two discuss the bible, one who believes the stuff is real, and one that doesn't. Check it out sometime, and hear it. There may be more objections that Reggie had made in the talk show, and if something sticks out to any of you who has read this and decides to listen to the recording, then post it and discuss.

In Christ,
SE
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_JC

Post by _JC » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:36 pm

I just listened to this program and found it very interesting. The Christian was the more polished speaker by far, but I think he took some wrong turns. For example, Reggie kept leading into a discussion about hell and the Christian took the classical position here. The problem is, the apostles didn't teach that way. Paul preached that sinners would be judged but didn't say what the punishment would be necessarily. Therefore, Christians shouldn't shout where the bible is silent (or ambiguous). Steve isn't as dogmatic about this doctrine so Reggie will not be able to corner him here. Reggie posed the question, "Why couldn't God just snap his fingers and snuff me out instead of sending me to hell?" Many Christians, myself included, might say, "Well, he certainly might."

I was very unimpressed with Reggie (Infidel Guy). For someone who debates for a living, he seems like a total amatuer. The arguments he uses are overly simplistic and reek of faux humility. He considers himself a good guy and God a bad guy. Reggie also gets very emotional so it's hard to follow his arguments.... he's all over the place. But to summarize his position he seems to think that God is evil becuse he judges people. It's the "Hey, leave me alone" syndrome. Every one of his arguments stem from the premise that punishment is evil and God should follow man's standard of good, not the other way around.
Reason:

_SoaringEagle

Post by _SoaringEagle » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:10 pm

Yes, it was very interesting. Did you know he also debated Matt Slick, the Reformed Christian and author/leader of www.carm.org. I heard bits and pieces of it. I might go back and listen to it. Go here to hear that discussion: http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.a ... 1260215459 Also, it appears that our good friend Gene Cook debated Reggie as well. Steve may do well to listen to them, to get a feel of how Reggie interacts and thinks. From what I heard of it, his style and approach was very much simililar to his discussion with the representative of the way of the master. I and very eager to hear Steve and him engage in their beliefs.
Reason:

_JC

Post by _JC » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:53 am

Reggie is the classic apologist for atheism. Nothing he says is original or well thought out. Again, it's false intellectualism and emotional rhetoric. I don't mind him saying the Bible is silly and Christians are deluded because God is his judge, not me. Jesus told me to love the guy so what else can I do. But I do wish he'd come to his senses.

The Way of the Master guy showed Reggie's hypocricy in the adultery debate. For those who didn't listen, Reggie said he lusts after women all the time and said God wouldn't care and shouldn't be offended by it. The Christian asked Reggie how he'd feel if men were lusting after his wife. Reggie said he wouldn't like it because he's an "alpha male." LOL. Well, I know another Alpha and it offends him too. This is the classic problem with flawed atheistic reasoning. Let's tell God what he should think and do in a given situation. After all, we know better. For crying out loud, I know enough about human beings to know that even the most intelligent among us hardly know anything at all. If we are the highest authority when it comes to truth and morality then we're in deep trouble.
Reason:

_SoaringEagle

Post by _SoaringEagle » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:40 pm

Well said JC, I laughed pretty hard when his inconsistency was pointed out concerning his lust, sin, and wife.
Reason:

_Asimov

Post by _Asimov » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:25 pm

I'm pretty sure that reggie doesn't do many debates. He invites people for interviews and asks them questions. He brings up arguments and talks about em, but I don't consider his stuff to be debates.

He hosts a lot of debates, but doesn't participate in them.
He's an amateur debator, doesn't know much about logic, and doesn't have well-formed arguments because he's not interested in proving his belief system.
Reason:

_SoaringEagle

Post by _SoaringEagle » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:34 pm

Thanks for the thoughts, Asimov. They are apreciated. :o
Reason:

_Asimov

Post by _Asimov » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:03 pm

SoaringEagle wrote:Thanks for the thoughts, Asimov. They are apreciated. :o
Thanks, although I'm not sure if I should take that as sarcasm or as genuine.
Reason:

_SoaringEagle

genuine for sure

Post by _SoaringEagle » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:34 pm

Well, I promise it was genuine with a good spirt. Stick around, ask questions, and get to know some people if you'd like. You are definately welcome to, that's for sure. :wink:

SoaringEagle
Reason:

_Asimov

Re: genuine for sure

Post by _Asimov » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:38 pm

SoaringEagle wrote:Well, I promise it was genuine with a good spirt. Stick around, ask questions, and get to know some people if you'd like. You are definately welcome to, that's for sure. :wink:

SoaringEagle
Thanks!
Reason:

Return to “Christian Evidences & Challenges”