GODS WILL?

_CFChristian

GODS WILL?

Post by _CFChristian » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:37 am

So here it is in a nutshell,

:arrow: There are those who believe in praying to get guidance on everything thing they do in front of them (Future Time), Example: What tie should I where today?

:arrow: Then there are those who believe that they, as Disciples of Christ who are familiar with GODS WILL through the study of scriptures, can wake up the next day with a clear conscience and not question every decision he or she makes but keeps GOD in mind on all assessments. (Moral mindfulness), Example: Should I buy a Honda or a Hyundai, this would depend on his or hers circumstances financial, timing of purchase, color, interior,
Gas mileage and so on… all concerns will be honored by GOD as long as there is no immoral intent on the part of the person who is at question. (Pray is important for strength and moral clarity in our lives).

:arrow: So then shall we wait around on every little choice or be confident that our Father trusts us with the keys to the car after we have proven that we are capable and able to drive the vehicle, (Metaphor). :?:
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
2 Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

_chriscarani

Post by _chriscarani » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:15 am

I think it would be ridiculous to pray about which color or style tie to wear. I don't speak for God, but I don't think he cares. Do people really pray about stuff like that :shock: ? If they do, I am amazed they ever actually make it to work.
Reason:
WWMTLFSMM

_CFChristian

GODS WILL

Post by _CFChristian » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:29 am

chriscarani wrote:I think it would be ridiculous to pray about which color or style tie to wear. I don't speak for God, but I don't think he cares. Do people really pray about stuff like that :shock: ? If they do, I am amazed they ever actually make it to work.

Sadly yes I do know these types of people, they can’t even come up with why they believe this. I sense that it comes from never growing up in to a mature Christian (MEAT EATERS); they are still wondering what GOD wants from them (MILK DRINKERS).
Or they still suffer from cult withdraws.
Reason:
2 Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

_TK

Post by _TK » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:57 am

interesting topic!

oswald chambers talks about getting into such a close relationship with Jesus that you ARE the will of God. in other words, if you are walking in the Spirit (that's one way of putting it), then you can rest confidently that your decisions will reflect God's will. of course, prayer is vital as a means of developing the relationship. when jesus prayed all night before choosing the 12 disciples, i wonder if He was asking the Father which specific men to choose, or whether He was simply communing with the Father. I suspect the latter; if he was in communion with the Father then his personal choice would also be in line with God's choice.

anyway, that's how I tend to view it.

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_chriscarani

Post by _chriscarani » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:09 am

TK wrote:interesting topic!

oswald chambers talks about getting into such a close relationship with Jesus that you ARE the will of God. in other words, if you are walking in the Spirit (that's one way of putting it), then you can rest confidently that your decisions will reflect God's will. of course, prayer is vital as a means of developing the relationship. when jesus prayed all night before choosing the 12 disciples, i wonder if He was asking the Father which specific men to choose, or whether He was simply communing with the Father. I suspect the latter; if he was in communion with the Father then his personal choice would also be in line with God's choice.

TK
Interesting. Don't you think choosing who is going to carry the burden of spreading the very word of God, and whether or not you get the green or blue Honda is a little different? I think secular decisions like that are left up to us. Could be wrong.
Reason:
WWMTLFSMM

_TK

Post by _TK » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:03 am

i think you misunderstood my intention... i agree with you that praying about tie colors etc seems a little silly. i even said that i doubt if Jesus even asked specifically which disciples He should choose-- rather i believe that he was so in tune with the Father that jesus' choices were also the fathers. the same applies to us-- if we are in tune with the father, we dont need to pray about every little thing. i think we can, in general go with the assumption that our daily decisions are in God's will IF we are walking in the Spirit.

TK
Reason:

_CFChristian

Post by _CFChristian » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:09 pm

chriscarani wrote:
TK wrote:interesting topic!

TK
Interesting. Don't you think choosing who is going to carry the burden of spreading the very word of God, and whether or not you get the green or blue Honda is a little different? I think secular decisions like that are left up to us. Could be wrong.

:arrow: The disciples were just anybodies, as scriptures has it these were just ordinary men nothing spiritual about them, they were draw by the spirit of GOD. I believe Christ was praying for guidance, revelation, and continuing faith for the apostles in knowing the struggle ahead that would meet them in there new journey, as in Peter and Judas. Christ new that Peter would be sifted thus reminding Peter to be diligent in hopes that Peter would be drawn closer to GOD in these trials. Now about Judas he was prophesied about in scripture, no not made this way for some necessary character in a play to liven up the story, Judas like Pharaoh had evil intent or in other words their pride was greater then seeking humility. GOD did not make Pharaoh hard from the beginning of his life (Childhood) but Pharaohs greed was self defined not willing to submit. When GOD said He harden Pharaoh, what it means is that GOD squeezed the very thing that was fashioned inside of Pharaoh (again Pharaohs self doing). Example: If you were washing your car and you dunked your wash rag in the bucket of water and set it out on top of your car for some time, time enough that it looks somewhat dry then picked it up and wringed it out you would still get some water out of the rag. The water is still in the rag as Pharaohs heart is still evil, it is Pharaohs self-induced physicie (evil) being drawn by GOD not predetermine by GOD. GOD used the ten plagues to get Pharaohs attention, why ten plagues, because they were symbols of the Egyptians worshiping their gods.
GOD gave Pharaoh his due chances as he gives us but Pharaoh did not repent.

:arrow: We have free will, we are procreators in the scheme of things, we have the ability to make our own choices and always keeping in mind they are moral choices. GOD is sovereign of all things. The difference is we have a choice, we are not pawns on a chessboard for entertainment. GOD loves us, He does not use us for any whim.
Reason:

_Paul

God and our choices

Post by _Paul » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:55 am

I also think that general prayer is the key to learning God's will, but that He probably loves it when we ask for specific guidance, particularly in big decisions.

As a dad, I find myself frequently thinking about correlations between earthly fatherhood (me and my kids) and spiritual fatherhood (God and me). I think God uses our earthly parental experience to teach us certain truths about Himself.

I want to teach my children how to think and act in a Godly way, and I am thrilled when they come to me for advice or ask my opinion. I love to observe their thought processes regardless of what they decide (within certain well established "rules", i.e. Christian attitudes and behaviors). Most of the time I don't care what they choose - I just love to watch their wheels turning. I can pretty much work with whatever they decide as long as they generally abide by the "rules". The more time they spend with me, just talking and asking questions (5 year-olds ask a lot of them), the better equipped they are to make their own good choices. I don't want to micro-manage their lives, just guide them and help them grow into Godly people.

For example, they are one day going to know the qualities to look for in a spouse (their mom is a good example!), but which specific one? That is for them to decide. I would be honored if they ask my opinion about it, but I would probably answer by walking them through my thought process without giving a specific answer.

It is my opinion that God generally (clearly there are examples of very specific direction in the Bible) works with us in much the same way. JMHO.
Reason:
Truth in love

_kaufmannphillips

Post by _kaufmannphillips » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:58 pm

Hello, everybody,

I would not leap to poke fun at seeking the will of God in seemingly mundane things. Sometimes even the color of a tie can have broader repercussions.

I believe that God allows us personal preferences in matters that have a negligible impact. However, I also believe that it is not always obvious which matters fall into that category.

As such, I am a strong proponent of "practicing the presence of God," so to speak. If one lives in unceasing prayer, then one can be sensitive to the leadings of God in matters both mundane and sublime. It does make a difference - and besides, he's nice to hang out with :D .

Shalom,
Emmet
Reason:

_TK

Post by _TK » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:34 pm

amen to that, emmett!

TK
Reason:

Return to “Christian Evidences & Challenges”