Casting Lots

_Alembic

Casting Lots

Post by _Alembic » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:24 am

A baby Christian just wondering here...this "casting lots" thing is fascinating. After searching about, I was curious as to the gambling aspect of this. Is not gambling frowned upon in the Bible? I seem to remember happening upon that fact in scripture. And, has this practice somehow evolved into something a bit more modern? Rock-paper-scissors comes to mind :roll:
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Praise God...

Steve

_TK

Post by _TK » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:33 pm

Rock paper scissors wouldn't work-- because although technically a game of chance there may be an element of skill or strategy. casting of lots, i would suppose, is strictly based upon chance.

in the Bible, casting of lots (or the urim and thummin (sp?) in the OT) was a way to determine God's will in a matter; this was authorized in the OT; the priests, i believe, had a special pocket or something in their garb to hold the urim and thummin.

they cast lots in the NT to decide who would replace Judas as one of the 12 disciples, the lot fell to Matthias, so the disciples took this to mean that matthias was God's choice. i havent yet resorted to casting lots in making decisions in my own life; perhaps i should start. it would be easier!

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Jesusfollower

Post by _Jesusfollower » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:18 am

I think it is just another way of saying 'They cast their vote'. This is a perfect example of the mysticism of modern day Christianity.
Reason:

_TK

Post by _TK » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:58 am

Acts 1:26: And they cast lots for them, and the lot fell on Matthias; and he was enrolled with the eleven apostles.

there is nothing here about "voting." they obviously "flipped a coin" or some such thing. they had it narrowed down to 2, who were presumably qualified, and they let the coin toss (or whatever) decide.

there is nothing "mystical" about it.

TK
Reason:

_Jesusfollower

Post by _Jesusfollower » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:02 am

what is obtained by lot, allotted portion
a portion of the ministry common to the apostles
used of the part which one will have in eternal salvation
of salvation itself
the eternal salvation which God has assigned to the saints
of persons
those whose care and oversight has been assigned to one [allotted charge], used of Christian churches, the administration of which falls to the lot of presbyters
Ya, they chose an Apostle by the flip of a coin, that makes perfect sence to me(not).
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:30 am

Jesusfollower,

Your sarcasm hardly seems called for. "Casting lots" did involve the assumption that there was a supernatural element of divine intervention in the outcome.

"The lot is cast into the lap
But its every decision is from the Lord"
(Prov.16:33)

The sailors did not take a vote to decide that Jonah was the one responsible for the storm—God revealed it through the casting of lots (Jonah 1:7). The land was divided among the tribes of Israel by the casting of lots (e.g., Josh.18:6-10)—not by taking a vote.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_Alembic

Post by _Alembic » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:20 pm

Thanks, Steve...While my rock-paper-scissors comment was a feeble (read:EXTREMELY feeble) attempt at humor, I do understand that there is divinity involved. I hope my lack of couth didn't come off as too sarcastic. I was curious as to how the actual process took place. I am guessing at best...dice?
Reason:
Praise God...

Steve

_TK

Post by _TK » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:32 pm

Alembic--

to clarify, Steve was commenting on the sarcasm of Jesusfollower's last post, not your initial statement regarding rock paper scissors. rock paper and scissors would probably have been ok if it was a game of 100% chance, which in my opinion it is not (because i always seem to lose!)

TK
Reason:

Return to “Christian Evidences & Challenges”