Question on Peter's Denial

_JC

Question on Peter's Denial

Post by _JC » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:52 am

Recently, I was thinking about the night Jesus was arrested and it occured to me that Peter acted very strangly in terms of his behavior that evening. When the soldiers arrived at Gethsemene, he took out a sword and tried to slice the head off a guard, which strikes me as a courageous (yet stupid and unspiritual) act. However, he and the others then fled because they were scared. Later that night Peter denied knowing Christ out of fear.

I'm wondering why Peter was so bold in the garden, then turned into a coward so quickly. Does this strike anyone else as strange?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_MoGrace2u

Re: Question on Peter's Denial

Post by _MoGrace2u » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:43 pm

JC wrote:Recently, I was thinking about the night Jesus was arrested and it occured to me that Peter acted very strangly in terms of his behavior that evening. When the soldiers arrived at Gethsemene, he took out a sword and tried to slice the head off a guard, which strikes me as a courageous (yet stupid and unspiritual) act. However, he and the others then fled because they were scared. Later that night Peter denied knowing Christ out of fear.

I'm wondering why Peter was so bold in the garden, then turned into a coward so quickly. Does this strike anyone else as strange?
I think he was courageous because Jesus was standing next to him. That confidence changed quickly when they took Him away.
Reason:
Robin

_TK

Post by _TK » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:27 pm

i agree; once the adrenaline wore off, peter was able to contemplate the possible ramifications of his being captured as well.

i always wondered what, if anything, would have happened had peter fessed up to knowing Jesus in the courtyard.

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_21centpilgrim

Post by _21centpilgrim » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:02 pm

JC,
Peter just woke up from sleeping when he should have been praying for and with Jesus, I think this also played a part in his response.

Grace and peace
Reason:
"The goal of theology is the worship of God
The posture of theology is on ones knees
The mode of theology is repentance."
Sinclair Ferguson

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:51 pm

I think Peter was impulsive and acted according to his feelings at the moment. He felt bold with Jesus beside him, as MoGrace stated.

He also acted impulsively without thinking, as soon as he became afraid after Jesus' capture. So he denied the Lord.

When he remembered what Jesus had said about the rooster crowing, he became convicted, and could not restrain his tears.

Every act was an immediate response to his feelings. He acted entirely from his emotions and not from his intellect.

But after he was filled with the Spirit of Christ, this was no longer the case.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

Return to “Christian Evidences & Challenges”