how can a good God create a world iwhere there is suffering

_Derek

Post by _Derek » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:48 pm

Oh, I wasn't addressing you, Asimov. I was addressing some of the others who think that the solution to the problem of evil lies in God causing, or at least allowing, evil in order to bring about "a greater good". I know you don't hold this position, for I read and appreciated your arguments against it. [emphasis mine]
I disbelieve that God allows murder and torture, and rape of little girls, etc. for some "greater good". I think affirmations that He does so, do an injustice to His all loving character. This kind of thinking also leads people to hate God
Paidion,

Do you think that when God chastens those He loves, that this may bring about suffering in the one He chastens?

Does this or does this not bring about a greater good? (i.e. That we may "be partakers of His holiness" as the author of Hebrews says)?

What do you think of the story of Job? Did he not suffer great evils that God allowed for His own purposes? The bible says that Job did not sin (2:10), when he said that God brought this about (i.e. the destruction of his family, body, etc.). How does that square with your view?

In your view God does at least allow evil and suffering (the fact that it exists is evidence to that fact). Do you not think that He has a good reason for this?

If so, then your view is not very far from mine. You feel that God has a morally sufficient reason to allow suffering and evil in His creation.
Last edited by _AlexRodriguez on Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:
Derek

Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.
Psalm 20:7

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:00 pm

God said that by knowing evil we will become like Him. He did'nt explain why but He did say precisely that.
So we need to trust that this "evil age" is for a greater good.
IMO this concept is the most difficult obstacle for the unbeliever to accept.
I was going to say "understand" instead of "accept" but i don't understand it , not because i can't see that suffering can be redemptive but because of the randomness of evil in this world.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:47 pm

Do you think that when God chastens those He loves, that this may bring about suffering in the one He chastens?
Yes, I believe that God chastens those He loves. I think most or all of the suffering takes place in the minds of His children. I do not believe that He kills people's children in order to teach them a lesson.
Does this or does this not bring about a greater good? (i.e. That we may "be partakers of His holiness" as the author of Hebrews says)?
Yes, His mental chastening of His children does bring a greater good. It leads them to repentance and to become partakers of His holiness, as you have said. However, He doesn't send a rapist to rape the 6-year-old daughter of one of His children in order to make them holy.
What do you think of the story of Job? Did he not suffer great evils that God allowed for His own purposes? The bible says that Job did not sin when he said that God brought this about (i.e. the destruction of his family, body, etc.). How does that square with your view?

In this story, God allowed Satan to bring sickness upon Job, and to kill his children in order to prove to Satan that Job would not throw in the towel and curse God. I don't think we can use a story like that as evidence for God's ways.
In your view God does at least allow evil and suffering (the fact that it exists is evidence to that fact). Do you not think that He has a good reason for this?

Yes, God allows evil and suffering. Yes, I think He has a good reason. He allows man's cruelty to man out of respect for the free will of man. Not interfering with free will is a higher value in God's eyes than eliminating suffering.
If so, then your view is not very far from mine. You feel that God has a morally sufficient reason to allow suffering and evil in His creation.
I also concur with those who said that God is able to use suffering to create something good and beautiful. He didn't cause horrible suffering, but He can bring good out of it anyway.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_Derek

Post by _Derek » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:12 pm

Quote:
What do you think of the story of Job? Did he not suffer great evils that God allowed for His own purposes? The bible says that Job did not sin when he said that God brought this about (i.e. the destruction of his family, body, etc.). How does that square with your view?

In this story, God allowed Satan to bring sickness upon Job, and to kill his children in order to prove to Satan that Job would not throw in the towel and curse God. I don't think we can use a story like that as evidence for God's ways.
I don't know if you are taking into consideration Job's words.

Job 2:6 So the LORD said to Satan, "Behold, he is in your power, only spare his life."
Job 2:7 Then Satan went out from the presence of the LORD and smote Job with sore boils from the sole of his foot to the crown of his head.
Job 2:8 And he took a potsherd to scrape himself while he was sitting among the ashes.
Job 2:9 Then his wife said to him, "Do you still hold fast your integrity? Curse God and die!"
Job 2:10 But he said to her, "You speak as one of the foolish women speaks. Shall we indeed accept good from God and not accept adversity?" In all this Job did not sin with his lips

Although God did not inflict Job directly with his afflictions, because of the fact that God allowed it, Job still recieved it as though from God, and did not sin in doing so. Whether this is normative or not is not my point. This was "God's way" in at least this instance.

Quote:

I also concur with those who said that God is able to use suffering to create something good and beautiful. He didn't cause horrible suffering, but He can bring good out of it anyway.
This is my view exactly. I'm not sure if I used the term "greater good" or not. But my understanding is that though God does not necessarily cause the suffering, He does use it for His own purposes. The story of Joseph, as well as the crucifixtion of our Lord are two perfect examples. In both instance God allowed, (not caused), the actions of evil men, and brought about a greater, and in fact, beautiful end.

I disagree with those that say the fact that God allowed it, means that He caused it. That is non sense. One simply does not follow from the other.

That He "allowed" these things also does not necessarily mean that God "wanted" them to happen. Just because He has the power to stop the action, and doesn't, does not have to mean that it was according to His will. God's will is resisted all of the time. It could follow, from the fact that He does not stop an event, that He wanted the event to happen, but it does not necessarily have to follow.

God wishes that all men would come to repentence and follow Christ. That all men do not come to Christ, does not mean that God does not want them to.

Thanks for responding.
Last edited by _AlexRodriguez on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Derek

Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.

_Perry

Post by _Perry » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:28 am

Paidion wrote:In this story, God allowed Satan to bring sickness upon Job, and to kill his children in order to prove to Satan that Job would not throw in the towel and curse God.
Are you saying that what happened to Job and his children was for Satan's benefit?
Reason:

_Perry

Post by _Perry » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:37 am

Derek wrote:God's will is resisted all of the time.
Or is it that God's would rather the we follow His preferences, but will's that we have the autonomy to go against them?

This may sound semantic.

But I believe that God's will is not resisted. It's His will that we have independence enough even to defy what He would prefer that we do.

Perry
Reason:

__id_1679

Post by __id_1679 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:58 am

Asimov

quote: "This is a poor argument, Traveler. One that stems from ignorance".

Asimov, as 'shocking' as this may sound to you or others engaging in this discussion, you are entirely correct! I am ignorant. All our arguments are at best, attempts to reconcile a good God with the problem of evil. Great minds over the centuries have labored to do so. None in my opinion will satisfy every question or concievable problem we purpose. Yet, I do not trust in the philosophical speculations of men. My trust is in the One who taught me to pray; Our Father in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name...Thy Will be done on earth as it is in Heaven...i.e, the greater Good will one day be. But I don't expect you are there yet in your philosophy. Therefore, I do not expect you to agree or understand those of us of faith,
to have any good reason to follow this God we worship.

"And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins...If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are to be pittied more than all men" I Cor.15:17,19.

Do pity us Asimov.
Reason:

_Derek

Post by _Derek » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:11 pm

But I believe that God's will is not resisted. It's His will that we have independence enough even to defy what He would prefer that we do.
Hi Perry,

This may be, I don't know. But the fact is you are still saying that we can "defy what He would prefer we do". Therefore, His will can be resisted.

I'm not saying this has to be the case. It is most certainly His prerogative to negate our free will at any time. And biblical examples can be provided to that show this.

Now, if it is God's will that we have "free will" I don't think that we could resist that.

However, the fact remains that God desires that all men repent and come to the knowledge of the truth, yet all people do not. Therefore, God's will is resisted.
Last edited by _AlexRodriguez on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Derek

__id_1887

Post by __id_1887 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:43 am

I haven't read through every post in this thread. I hope to when I have time.

But here is a different question about suffering:

Why do Christians cherish suffering? Why is suffering good?

Philippians 3:7-11
7 But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. 8 Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith— 10 that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead.

Asimov wrote:
Now, my question is, why is the first possible world not in existence if God does not desire that human being suffer?

When I think of God creating a world where suffering exists. The first thing I think about is not my suffering. My mind goes to the suffering of Christ. God created a world to send His Son into.......to suffer. Through that suffering comes life more abundant and life everlasting.

Check this out:

Isaiah 53
53:1 Who has believed what he has heard from us?
And to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?
2 For he grew up before him like a young plant,
and like a root out of dry ground;
he had no form or majesty that we should look at him,
and no beauty that we should desire him.
3 He was despised and rejected by men;
a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief;
and as one from whom men hide their faces
he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
4 Surely he has borne our griefs
and carried our sorrows;
yet we esteemed him stricken,
smitten by God, and afflicted.
5 But he was wounded for our transgressions;
he was crushed for our iniquities;
upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace,
and with his stripes we are healed.
6 All we like sheep have gone astray;
we have turned—every one—to his own way;
and the LORD has laid on him
the iniquity of us all.
7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted,
yet he opened not his mouth;
like a lamb that is led to the slaughter,
and like a sheep that before its shearers is silent,
so he opened not his mouth.
8 By oppression and judgment he was taken away;
and as for his generation, who considered
that he was cut off out of the land of the living,
stricken for the transgression of my people?
9 And they made his grave with the wicked
and with a rich man in his death,
although he had done no violence,
and there was no deceit in his mouth.
10 Yet it was the will of the LORD to crush him;
he has put him to grief;
when his soul makes an offering for guilt,
he shall see his offspring; he shall prolong his days;
the will of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.
11 Out of the anguish of his soul he shall see and be satisfied;
by his knowledge shall the righteous one, my servant,
make many to be accounted righteous,
and he shall bear their iniquities.
12 Therefore I will divide him a portion with the many,
and he shall divide the spoil with the strong,
because he poured out his soul to death
and was numbered with the transgressors;
yet he bore the sin of many,
and makes intercession for the transgressors.

For more on God's sovereignty over suffering one can find much reading here:

http://www.desiringgod.org/Search/?sear ... eignty+God

Abundant joy in Christ,

Haas
Reason:

_Asimov

Post by _Asimov » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:02 pm

JC wrote:Asimov, have you read any of Greg Boyd's stuff? He's an ivy-league scholar who I feel has a good grasp on this issue. This is not to say you won't find any good answers on this forum, but a comprehensive treatment of the subject is often better than textual soundbites. I've personally debated Greg Boyd on this issue and found his arguments to be quite good.

Just throwing in my 2 cents.
Thanks, JC. Any online resources I could get my hands on?

As for everyone else. I'm sorry but if I haven't been replying. It's been a busy week.

I'll respond to those who responded to me as soon as I can.

Thanks for the discussion everyone, it's great, even if we don't get anywhere.
Reason:

Return to “Christian Evidences & Challenges”