The Greatest Optical Illusion in the World

_TK

The Greatest Optical Illusion in the World

Post by _TK » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:37 pm

Okay you guys (and gals):

someone recently linked me to the following video- perhaps some of you have seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk6ILZAa ... ed&search=

Please provide me with your rebuttals.

Thx! TK
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Allyn

Post by _Allyn » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:03 pm

Well, here is what I have to say about that; the jug of milk eventually goes sour while God never changes. We are commanded to pray according to God's wil not ours and so what ever we ask for shall be given according to God's will. Also, who of us can actually rationalize anything about God? How can the created know the Creator except that the Creator draws us to Him. The jug of milk is actually at the mercy of the one who bought it and can actually choose to use it for the purpose it was designed or let it spoil in its container.Whereas the Creator bought us with a price and chooses to use us according to His will. This is not an intellectual endevour but is one based only on faith through a relationship with our Creator.

Christ Jesus, our Savior, spent hours and hours praying to His Father - let these people tell Him that prayer has no effect on events.
Reason:

_Seth

Post by _Seth » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:21 pm

Open and shut case there...I mean, the New York *TIMES* has proven that prayer doesn't work. Therefore, God must be an illusion. If that's not logic, I don't know what is...
Reason:

_roblaine

Re: The Greatest Optical Illusion in the World

Post by _roblaine » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:56 pm

TK wrote:Okay you guys (and gals):

someone recently linked me to the following video- perhaps some of you have seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk6ILZAa ... ed&search=

Please provide me with your rebuttals.

Thx! TK
How pathetic. :roll:

The belief Christians have in God goes way beyond answered prayers. We pray to God to get closer to Him, not to determine if He exists. Prayer is one tool to determine Gods will, to seek comfort (when needed), and healing when it is His will.

This video says that science has proven there is no God. WOW, science can prove a negative. I eagerly await the evidence.

Robin
Reason:
God Bless

_Murf

Post by _Murf » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:36 pm

If he is really quoting Christianity.com accurately and in context then I think both have prayer & God wrong.
Reason:

_TK

Post by _TK » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:56 pm

murf- i was thinking the same thing.

TK
Reason:

_Homer

Post by _Homer » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:42 pm

I think they overlooked something in their comparison of healing in cases where one group of people were prayed for and another group was not. How did they know that no one at all was praying for those in the second group? Perhaps Aunt Nellie who lived a thousand miles away heard of one of them being ill and prayed for their recovery. All it takes is one person praying (James 5:16). It would seem to be most difficult to set up a study where it was assured that no one was praying for any of a certain group of people.

Perhaps there is a misunderstanding that more people praying for someone should necessarily bring results.
Reason:
A Berean

_mattrose

Post by _mattrose » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:21 pm

There are a multitude of things wrong with the argument in the clip. The primary error made is that it pretends that prayer, and whether or not prayer is effective, is the lone piece of evidence when considering the factuality of God! This is one of the most ridiculous logical fallacies I've come across on the internet and that is saying a lot. It is akin to me saying there's no such thing as a television b/c there's not a television in this room. It simply leaves the investigation far short!

Secondly, the 'prayer studies' are somewhat silly. As was said above, there is no real way to study prayer since you can't know who's actually praying, whether the praying person is praying in the Spirit or not, whether the patient has faith, etc. Further, there is a multitude of conflicting evidence.

Third, the clip assumes that all Christians agree completely with Christianity.com without any additional nuance. When I read Scripture, I see a lot of 'conditions' attached to effective prayer. No such conditions are brought up in the clips discussion.

Fourth, the clip assumes that ALL answers MUST be coincidental whereas that cannot be proven. In other words, if something was NOT a coincidence, the author of this clip would refuse to recognize it as non-coincidental. Just as he says prayer is rigged for success. His test is rigged for success!

I'll stop there
Reason:
Hemingway once said: 'The world is a fine place and worth fighting for'

I agree with the second part (se7en)

_TK

Post by _TK » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:39 am

great points, homer and matt!

TK
Reason:

_james

Post by _james » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:17 am

Ok, this question is more disturbing than it first looks. Do we believe that healing is for today? (I'm personally not sure) Then how is it that we never see missing limbs being regenerated?
Reason:
"He who learns must suffer.Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart until, in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the awful grace of God." Aeschylus

Return to “Christian Evidences & Challenges”