Questioning Evolution

_Asimov

Re: Questioning Evolution

Post by _Asimov » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:03 am

james wrote:The two driving forces of evolution are natural selection and random mutations. Random mutations cause the physical changes and natural selection saves them.
There is also genetic drift and gene flow in terms of mechanisms of evolution.

Now is there any evidence that RMs can create the new parts necessary to go from let's say a single cell to a man?
No, that would be impossible and would result in falsification of evolution.
I'm not speaking of RMs acting on genetic material already present in the creature but the ability of RMs to create the new parts needed to go from a simple cell to a man. Is there any evidence that RMs can create such parts.

What parts are you suggesting? I'm not sure what you're asking.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Asimov

Post by _Asimov » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:03 am

anothersteve wrote:
vestigial organs have always caused problems for evolutionists as well; e.g. the human appendix or male nipples
Hey TK, just hours after you wrote this, scientists released to the media that they now believe the appendix does have a use. How's that for timing! :)

Appendix May Be Useful
Vestigial organs don't mean they are useless organs.
Reason:

_james

Post by _james » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:22 am

The two driving forces of evolution are natural selection and random mutations. Random mutations cause the physical changes and natural selection saves them.

There is also genetic drift and gene flow in terms of mechanisms of evolution.

Do genetic drift and gene flow create new parts?

Now is there any evidence that RMs can create the new parts necessary to go from let's say a single cell to a man?

No, that would be impossible and would result in falsification of evolution.
Expand please...
I'm not speaking of RMs acting on genetic material already present in the creature but the ability of RMs to create the new parts needed to go from a simple cell to a man. Is there any evidence that RMs can create such parts.

What parts? Look at a single cell then look at a man - the man has many more parts.
Reason:
"He who learns must suffer.Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart until, in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the awful grace of God." Aeschylus

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:18 pm

even if the earth IS 5 billions years old, that simply is not enough time to account for the diversity we see today. how could it be?

Well actually i think it's generally accepted that complex life appeared suddenly 800 mil yrs ago which is called the Cambrian explosion. This does not leave nearly enough time for gradual macro-evolution which takes billions of years so they came up with punctuated equilibrium which is an out right pure speculation because for them there is no other explanation.
Reason:

_TK

Post by _TK » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:17 am

I watched a show on the Discovery Channel a couple of nights ago called "Blue Planet." I highly recommend it. At any rate, this episode was about life in the deepest ocean trenches. I have to tell you, there is simply no way that these creatures could have developed gradually over millions of years by chance. they are way too highly specialized. This one creature was able to shoot a substance out of its body that actually "exploded" and created a bright light a couple of seconds later- kind of like a minor hand grenade, in order to fool or scare off potential predators. how could something like that develop gradually over time? of course, there are millions of other examples.

here's some pictures- my vote for the strangest is the bloodbelly comb jellyfish. truly spectacular. if you ever saw the movie "the abyss" you can see where they got the idea.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/blue-planet ... -vote.html

TK
Last edited by _Freelancer on Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:23 am

TK, I also thought the bloody belly comb jelly to be the strangest, with the lobate ctenopone being a close second.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_james

Post by _james » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:17 pm

Cuttlefish - these things are amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... rch=Search
Reason:
"He who learns must suffer.Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart until, in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the awful grace of God." Aeschylus

_Asimov

Post by _Asimov » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:36 pm

james wrote: Do genetic drift and gene flow create new parts?
What are parts? Genetic drift, mutation and gene flow increase variation, natural selection decreases variation.
Expand please...
You're only talking about two steps. Single Cell --> Man.

Your question is too simplistic.

What parts? Look at a single cell then look at a man - the man has many more parts.
You mean a man is composed of many cells, each function differently. These cells form into different tissues (organs, connective, muscle, nerves), and then those form into different systems (circulatory, respiratory, nervous, musculoskeletal)?

Humans are not theorized to have come from single celled organisms, so your question is moot.
Reason:

_Asimov

Post by _Asimov » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:46 pm

STEVE7150 wrote: Well actually i think it's generally accepted that complex life appeared suddenly 800 mil yrs ago which is called the Cambrian explosion.
It's approx. 500 million years ago, and it is not generally accepted that complex life appeared suddenly during the Cambrian Explosion. It is generally accepted that hard-bodied life-forms appeared during the Cambrian Explosion, causing an increased rate of fossilization.
TK wrote: I have to tell you, there is simply no way that these creatures could have developed gradually over millions of years by chance.
Species don't develop by chance, they develop through environmental pressures.

Creatures like that become specialized to their environment because their generations stay in the same environment that changes very little. The less environmental change there is, the more of a niche these creatures create within that environment. They become "more adapted" to survival.

Look at a road system: It has laws, remapping, repaving, expansion, intersection lights, etc. It's a hugely complex system that adapts as the city grows and new technology arises from the humans that work within it. It's hugely complex and has many interdependent systems, one could only think that they must have all been created at once in order to work properly. Yet it wasn't.

It's not completely analagous to the issues of Evolution, but it serves to explain the point.

And saying that you cannot believe that a species of organism could have evolved into what they are today is not a rebuttal of evolution, but an appeal to your own personal incredulity.
Reason:

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:43 pm

It's approx. 500 million years ago, and it is not generally accepted that complex life appeared suddenly during the Cambrian Explosion. It is generally accepted that hard-bodied life-forms appeared during the Cambrian Explosion, causing an increased rate of fossilization.

Yes the Cambrian explosion was around 550 mil yrs ago and according to Wikipedia and many other sources prior to the Cambrian explosion organisms were on the whole simple and comprised of individual cells therefore this is the time, complex life took hold.
Not anywhere near enough time for gradual macro-evolution therefore the deduction of puntuated equilibrian came into being. This so called theory was simply a way to leave out a higher power directing the process and just speculate that macro-evolution just leaped forward by random chance. Of course we are talking about trillions X trillions of combinations going just right, and still counting.
So basically atheists believe the universe was created by random chance and everything created was made by random chance and everything is maintained by random chance.
This they find plausable in their reasoning because they consider themselves to be logical reasoned intelligent people.
Reason:

Return to “Christian Evidences & Challenges”