Questioning Evolution

_Asimov

Post by _Asimov » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:12 pm

STEVE7150 wrote: Not anywhere near enough time for gradual macro-evolution therefore the deduction of puntuated equilibrian came into being.
"Gradual" doesn't refer to a specific gauge of time. Gradual refers to successive generations. The more generations there are, the better a species can adapt and diversify. Coupled with a geological event that wouldn't cause a bottleneck of species.

Besides, Evolution in no way states that evolution rates are constant. The rate of evolution is dependent upon a number of factors, including mutation rates and the environment.
This so called theory was simply a way to leave out a higher power directing the process and just speculate that macro-evolution just leaped forward by random chance. Of course we are talking about trillions X trillions of combinations going just right, and still counting.
Ad hoc. Any concept of God could use punctuated equilibrium as his method of diversifying life, your criticism is unfounded.

So basically atheists believe the universe was created by random chance and everything created was made by random chance and everything is maintained by random chance.
No, your just being obtuse.
This they find plausable in their reasoning because they consider themselves to be logical reasoned intelligent people.
Do you know what a strawman is? I'm sure you do, because you're using one right now.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_TK

Post by _TK » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:08 pm

Asimov wrote:

And saying that you cannot believe that ... credulity.

i will admit you are right about that. think about this-- if evolutionary theory is correct- some kind of a living cell originated from sort of organic ooze- and this original cell "branched off" into every species of life on the planet we see today. and all in less than a billion years? yes, i will admit i am extremely incredulous.

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Asimov

Post by _Asimov » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:29 pm

TK wrote: think about this-- if evolutionary theory is correct- some kind of a living cell originated from sort of organic ooze- and this original cell "branched off" into every species of life on the planet we see today.
No, that is not what evolutionary theory states.
and all in less than a billion years? yes, i will admit i am extremely incredulous.

TK
It was in 3.8 billion years.
Reason:

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:14 am

"Gradual" doesn't refer to a specific gauge of time. Gradual refers to successive generations. The more generations there are, the better a species can adapt and diversify. Coupled with a geological event that wouldn't cause a bottleneck of species.

In terms of this topic which is macro-evolution "gradual" is generally accepted to mean billions of years. Therefore 550 mil years simply is not enough time and that is the reason the theory of puntuated equilibrium developed.

So basically atheists believe the universe was created by random chance and everything created was made by random chance and everything is maintained by random chance.

No, your just being obtuse.

Really, i don't see how because either creation is directed or undirected and if undirected then random chance is is plainly stating in laymen's terms what atheists believe.
Reason:

_jackal

Post by _jackal » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:47 am

STEVE7150 wrote:Yes the Cambrian explosion was around 550 mil yrs ago and according to Wikipedia and many other sources prior to the Cambrian explosion organisms were on the whole simple and comprised of individual cells therefore this is the time, complex life took hold.
Steve, this is patently false. In 1967, a fossil field was discovered in the cliffs west of Mistaken Point, Newfoundland. These fossils were imprints of soft-bodied metazoic invertebrates, created by the deposition of volcanic ash. The formation has been dated to the Ediacarian (preCambrian) era, about 571 Mya. This shows that even at the time of the Cambrian explosion, complex, multicellular life had already existed.
Reason:

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:53 am

Steve, this is patently false. In 1967, a fossil field was discovered in the cliffs west of Mistaken Point, Newfoundland. These fossils were imprints of soft-bodied metazoic invertebrates, created by the deposition of volcanic ash. The formation has been dated to the Ediacarian (preCambrian) era, about 571 Mya. This shows that even at the time of the Cambrian explosion, complex, multicellular life had already existed

You're joking because it's getting close to Hallowean? I said 550 mil because the Cambrian is dated 530-570 mil years ago and you're arguing over 1 mil years?
Reason:

_jackal

Post by _jackal » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:11 pm

STEVE7150 wrote:You're joking because it's getting close to Hallowean? I said 550 mil because the Cambrian is dated 530-570 mil years ago and you're arguing over 1 mil years?
No, its a matter of about 30 million years. The first biodiversity "explosion" of the cambrian era occurred about 545 million years ago. The Mistaken Point fossils have been dated squarely within the Ediacarian period. There are no hard-shelled fossils associated with the later Cambrian era to be found in these beds.
Reason:

_JC

Post by _JC » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:03 am

jackal, welcome back. I'm confused about something. You said the Mistaken Point fossils (ah, the irony of that name) were discovered in 1967. I was under the impression that Stephen Gould based his theory of P.E. primarily on the Cambrian Explosion as it demonstrates sudden appearance of complex forms. Was Gould not aware of the Mistaken Point fossils?
Reason:

_jackal

Post by _jackal » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:40 am

JC wrote:jackal, welcome back. I'm confused about something. You said the Mistaken Point fossils (ah, the irony of that name) were discovered in 1967. I was under the impression that Stephen Gould based his theory of P.E. primarily on the Cambrian Explosion as it demonstrates sudden appearance of complex forms. Was Gould not aware of the Mistaken Point fossils?
Thanks, JC

While the first of the Mistaken Point fossil beds was first discovered in 1967 by a graduate student, S.R. Misra, its dating and thorough exploration did not occur until later, and the significance of the find was not fully appreciated until the early '80's, whereupon Canada established it as an Ecological Reserve in 1984, to assure its preservation. Gould and Eldredge wrote their paper on punk eek in 1972, so it's possible they weren't aware of it.

But, the theory of punk eek is still consistent with the fossils at Mistaken Point. Punk Eek postulates a theory of rapid and substantial morphological change, such as occurred after a number of extinctions. The Cambrian era showed an emergence of many new species and phyla, especially those of hard shells, not present previously, even in the Mistaken Point fossils. The Ediacara era came to an end probably as a result of substantial vulcanization during the formation of the supercontinents Lurasia and Gonwanland. I think only 4 phyla, e.g., jellyfish, have possible direct lineage to species known in the Ediacara
Reason:

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:15 pm

No, its a matter of about 30 million years. The first biodiversity "explosion" of the cambrian era occurred about 545 million years ago. The Mistaken Point fossils have been dated squarely within the Ediacarian period. There are no hard-shelled fossils associated with the later Cambrian era to be found in these beds.

I've read several times the Cambrian period was not a specific point but a range like 530-570 mil yrs ago but the point of the matter is that 571 mil yrs ago is not nearly enough time for macro-evolution.
Reason:

Return to “Christian Evidences & Challenges”