Christian Apologists That Have Helped

_Homer

Post by _Homer » Mon May 12, 2008 12:41 am

Although I don't read a lot of apologetic stuff, of what I have read, I thought "Who Moved the Stone" by Frank Morison was the best. He began his investigation as a skeptic and became convinced of the truth of the resurrection. To me, he was much more convincing than Lee Strobel, who seemed to me to be only mildly sceptical, if at all.

I read it many years ago (it was written almost eighty years ago), but I see it is still available on Amazon.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
A Berean

_featheredprop

Post by _featheredprop » Mon May 12, 2008 11:18 am

Rick_C wrote:What excited me was several debates I've never been able to find were on this site!
Namely, Wm. Lane Craig Vs. Bart Ehrman, J.D. Crossan, Gerd Ludeman, and J.S. Spong.
Also, an N.T. Wright Vs. J.D. Crossan (with a Craig post-debate critique).
This is one of the pages that I found too, Rick ... I was also pretty exicted to find it too!

peace,

dane
Reason:
"God - He'll bloody your nose and then give you a ride home on his bicycle..." Rich Mullins 1955-1997

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Mon May 12, 2008 4:07 pm

KEW-EL! :wink: (Hi Homer & Dane)....

Don't forget: Converse With Scholars which has almost weekly broadcasts (live in Paltalk, if you have it you can ask questions!).

I listened to the next to last one: Dan Wallace on textual criticism and in critique of Bart Ehrman (who he also recently debated). Google it to load (I think it's $10).

I'll be loading Nicholas Perrin's CWS session tonite; who also critiques Ehrman (and his book "Misquoting Jesus"). TNP Radio time, Thanks :)
Reason:
“In Jesus Christ God ordained life for man, but death for himself” -- Karl Barth

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Mon May 12, 2008 8:42 pm

I was wondering what Christian apologists have been helpful to anyone on this forum.
I have been helped by second-century apologist Justin Martyr. After reading his "Dialogue with Trypho" and his "Apology", I learned what second-century Christians believed, and how they practised their faith.

It was from Justin that I learned that the Logos was begotten of the Father before all ages. I also learned how baptism was practised, and that it was believed that regeneration takes place at baptism. I also learned how the eucharist was celebrated, and received some insight into the "format" of second-century Christian meetings.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_featheredprop

Post by _featheredprop » Tue May 13, 2008 6:40 am

Rick_C wrote:Don't forget: Converse With Scholars which has almost weekly broadcasts (live in Paltalk, if you have it you can ask questions!).
Awesome site Rick! Thanks!!!

peace,

dane
Reason:
"God - He'll bloody your nose and then give you a ride home on his bicycle..." Rich Mullins 1955-1997

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Tue May 13, 2008 10:22 pm

You're welcome, Dane.

The "CWS" folks (of RMM, "Reclaiming the Mind Ministries") are Calvinists, Dallas Theological Seminary grads. However, in their other ministry: TTP (The Theology Program, in Paltalk) and on the CWS site, they are open to Arminianism, at least in terms of discussion. The Roger Olson CWS sesssion was really good for "a Classical Arminian explanation."

When my computer could get into Paltalk (it's too old now), I asked the CWS scholars stuff. James Sire, who's book "The Universe Next Door" was a classic on Christian Worldview...and John Frame...and Mark Hitchcock (the dispensationalist who I kind of stumped on a question, lol)...well, I got to ask them things.

Btw, one can go into the TTP rooms and participate! (even if you're not enrolled). For me, that was a great review of what I learned in Bible college: Plus, listening to Steve's lectures! Okay, thanks, :)
Reason:
“In Jesus Christ God ordained life for man, but death for himself” -- Karl Barth

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Tue May 13, 2008 10:26 pm

Paidion,

I, too, like reading and listening to lectures about the Early Fathers.

Also, I like an opposing or different take on them...which is what I like about listening to Stephan Hoeller.

I asked before but (and maybe it's off-topic): Has anyone ever listened to Hoeller? Thanks.
Reason:

Return to “Christian Evidences & Challenges”