The "English" Name: Jesus

_SoaringEagle

The "English" Name: Jesus

Post by _SoaringEagle » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:13 pm

The "English" name, Jesus

The Norman invasion of 1066 introduced the letter "j" to England but the sound of the letter did not exist in the Old English language until the early 1200's. Over the next 300 years the hard "J" sound started to replace male names that began with I or Y because it sounded so masculine. Names like Iames became "James," Iakob became Jacob, and Yohan became "John." During the time the letter J was starting to gain acceptance, John Wycliffe became the first person to translate the New Testament from Latin into English in 1384. He preserved the Latin spelling and pronunciation of IESUS but his translation was unread by the common man because only a few hand-written copies of his Bible were produced which were quickly banned by the Church. The KJV was legally the only "authorized" version allowed in England, and was produced to stamp out the Geneva translation (The Geneva "Bible" contained many footnotes, reference helps, and conveyed a high level of general information for people to learn).

When Gutenburg invented the printing press the Latin Vulgate "Bible" became the first book ever printed in 1455. The first printed bible in a foreign tongue was the German Mentel Bible of 1466 followed by the Martin Luther bible of 1522. After William Tyndale was denied permission to print an English bible he went to visit Martin Luther and completed his translation of the New Testament in 1525. Tyndale had 18,000 copies printed at Worms and smuggled into England of which only two copies survive. After printing his revised edition of 1534 he was captured in Belgium, tried for heresy by order of the pope, and put to death in 1536 by strangulation after which his body was burned at the stake. By the year 1611 the letter "J" was officially part of the English language and the King James Bible was printed along with pronunciation guides for all proper names like Jesus, Jew, Jeremiah, Jerusalem, Judah, and John. The name "Jesus" has been in use ever since.

At Acts 4:12, we learn that there is only ONE NAME under heaven, given among men by which we may be saved, yet we see that the true Name has been under constant change over the centuries. The true Name of the Mashiach can be proven by deduction; and you should know that we cannot trust the Greek to explain the Hebrew. But, when we see that the Greek text uses the same letters (IESOUS) when referring to the men that translators spell as "Joshua" and "Jesus", then we know these letters refer to not just a similar name, but the same name; the Greek alphabet simply corrupted the Name for us. We can fix that easily. The Mashiach of Israel certainly never had a Greek name, so let's hunt-down His real, Hebrew Name!

At Hebrews 4 and Acts 7, we discover from the Greek that the Savior's Name is spelled IESOUS. I'm not saying these two men wrote the text in Greek, but the Greek is what we have received. The name "JESUS" isn't even in the original Scriptures - and you can check out the way it looked back in 1599 by clicking on this: 1599 Geneva Translation.

Hebrews 4 and Acts 7 refer to "Joshua" (Yahusha more accurately, alternately seen as Yahushua), using the same Greek letters, IESOUS. Now think very hard; could the successor of Mosheh and the Mashiach of Israel possibly have the same NAME in the original Hebrew? Scholars don't doubt it for a second that they did indeed. To learn the real name of your Savior, go look at the Hebrew letters for the spelling of "Joshua": yod-hay-uau-shin-ayin (It isn't rocket surgery you know). Both had the Hebrew name: YAHUSHA. The Greek alphabet cannot transliterate this word, and "Latinizing" the Greek form only makes it freakier. The Name of our Savior contains the Name of our Creator, because He is our Creator, and His Name is His identification (His identity is wrapped-up in His Name.
  • YAH = "I am" . . . so, Yahusha literally means "I am your Deliverer".
On the Name of the Mashiach, it's true that the Savior is in fact the Being that revealed His Name as Yahuah -- there's no argument there in the least. We use the spelling Yahusha because it states the Name and function or role the messenger Gabri'el provided. We find that Scripture records the practice of giving names, and commonly the chosen name will provide a description or attribute of the individual. Because Gabriel included the phrase, "for he shall deliver his people from their sins", it is obvious that there was a distinctive meaning in the Name carrying the idea of salvation, from the root yasha. Also, the Name chosen aligns with the meaning of the name of the man that brought Israel into the promised land (called Joshua by tradition).

The Greek texts at Hebrews 4 and Acts 7 both indicate the spelling to be identical for both the Mashiach and the successor of Mosheh: IESOUS (in the Greek letters). Therefore, all we have to do is go to the Hebrew texts, find the spelling of the name of the man that succeeded Mosheh, and we have found the Savior's Name perfectly preserved ~ and based on the texts of Shemoth (Exodus). Logical deduction brings this out. The Name "Yahushua" describes the FUNCTION or ROLE that our Creator has become. To ignore this function/role, we have to overlook the phrase included by Gabriel when the Name was given:
  • "But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of (Yahuah) appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Yoseph, you son of David, fear not to take unto you Miryam your wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the (Ruach haQodesh). And she shall bring forth a son, and you shall call His Name (Yahusha): for He shall deliver His people from their sins. Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of (Yahuah) by the prophet, saying, 'Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel', which being interpreted is, (Eloah) with us. Then Yoseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of (Yahuah) had bidden him, and took unto him his wife: And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name (Yahusha)." [Matt 1:20-25]
The use of the Greek language/alphabet is a shadow-play to justify hiding the true Name of the Mashiach of Israel. What possible reason could a person have to hide behind the Greek language as a defense for the corruption of Yahusha’s Name? We have the Hebrew, so why put it through two or three languages to see what comes out the other side? “JESUS” is nothing like “YAHUSHA”, or even “YESHUA”. The Greek language cannot possibly transliterate the sound of the Name. The lack of appropriate letter sounds, and the Greek grammatical “rule” that adds the ending letter “S”, makes it impossible to do -- it’s beyond frustrating to watch someone defend it. It is most important to correct men who teach error, especially where a demonic name is bestowed upon our Savior and defended. In essence, people who want to cling to the "JESUS" error are saying “I can prove that YESHUA is correct by showing you the Greek.” The spelling “JOSHUA” is incorrect, and every concordance shows that this word is really either YAHOSHUA or YAHUSHUA. What the Greek texts do show us at Hebrews 4 and Acts 7 is that the Mashiach had the same Name as the successor of Mosheh, since we see "IESOU" in Greek letters that refer to BOTH individuals. Scholars have agreed that this indicates clearly that the HEBREW original for this Name would have been either Yahusha or Yahushua. Yeshua does not mean “Yah is our Deliverer”. It is derived from what you are about to learn:
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Michelle

Post by _Michelle » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:23 pm

Troy, is this stuff you believe or are you just putting it up for discussion, or...what?
Reason:

_SoaringEagle

"Yeshua" Or "Yahusha"

Post by _SoaringEagle » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:31 pm

"Yeshua" Or "Yahusha"? "Joshua" isn't quite right; and "Yeshua" is still pretty far off, because Gabriel's explanation of the Name at Luke 1:21 describes the function (salvation) along with Who is providing that salvation. You will soon learn that the form "JESUS" is derived directly from "YESHU", explained below. What "YESHU" means will change your thinking about this radically. In the Talmud, unbelieving Yahudim hatefully recorded the Name of the Mashiach of Yisrael as "YESHU", often seen spelled today as "Jeschu."

"Yeshua" Or "Yahusha"? "Joshua" isn't quite right; and "Yeshua" is still pretty far off, because Gabriel's explanation of the Name at Luke 1:21 describes the function (salvation) along with Who is providing that salvation. You will soon learn that the form "JESUS" is derived directly from "YESHU", explained below. What "YESHU" means will change your thinking about this radically. In the Talmud, unbelieving Yahudim hatefully recorded the Name of the Mashiach of Yisrael as "YESHU", often seen spelled today as "Jeschu". So, where did we get the form "JESUS" from? The Jesuits (They defend the form using the Greek and Latin, hoping you'll never discover what you are about to read):

The form "YESHUA" is from the acronym "YESHU", a mutilation of Yahushua's Name used by unbelieving Yahudim during the late 1st and 2nd century CE. The letters in "YESHU" stood for the sentence, "may his name be blotted out" (from the scroll of life). This "Yeshu" acronym is the real root of the form "JESUS", after going through Greek, then Latin:

YESHU (remember, this is an acronym, meaning "may his name be blotted out", referring to the scroll of life). A rabbinic word-play, from the original Hebrew words:

"Yemach Shmo u'Zikro" NOTE: There's not actually a letter "W" in the Hebrew alef-beth; the letter "W" is a rather new letter to our own alpha-beta. It's called a "DOUBLE-U" for a reason; our letter "U" is a perfect match with the sixth letter of the Hebrew alef-beth, now called a "WAW". (More accurately a "UAU"). Acronyms are abbreviated messages, like "SCUBA" stands for "self contained underwater breathing apparatus".

YESU IESOU - Going into Greek, the letter "Y" became an IOTA because Greek has no "Y"; also, the sound of "SH" was lost, because Greek has no letters to make this sound. The letter combination "OU" is a diphthong, arising from the Greek attempt to transliterate the sound "OO" as in "woof". Our letter "U" and the Hebrew letter "WAW" does this easily. JESU is used also.

YESOUS IESOU took on an ending "S" to form IESOUS, since the Greek wanted to render the word masculine with the ending "S". Going to Latin, the diphthong "OU" became "U".

JESUS In the early 1530's, the letter "J" developed, causing a tail on proper names beginning with the letter " i ", and words used at the beginning of sentences. This "J" is really the letter "IOTA". Many European languages pronounce "J" as the letter " i ", or a "Y" sound. They even spell Yugoslavia this way: "Jugoslavia".

Now you know. Tell everyone you know, and don't allow the Jesuits to succeed at this horrifying deception. Yeh-Zeus is not our Messiah; (The true name, Yahushua, means Yah-is our-salvation). YahuwehShua: This is a form being seen recently among many Natsarim, and would be difficult if not impossible to find in the TaNaKh or any other Hebrew texts, although it is essentially exactly what "Yahusha" means and stands for, "Yahuah is our Deliverer". If it were to exist in Hebrew, it would be spelled like this:
  • YOD-HAY-UAU-HAY-SHIN-UAU-AYIN
There is no letter "W" in the Hebrew, since the letter "double-U" came into existence in western Europe during the 13th century, and even then only in certain areas; Sweden just added the letter "W" to their alphabet in 2007, even though the rest of the world has been spelling their country with the letter for centuries. The words they use this letter in are borrowed from other languages. The Hebrew letter commonly seen as "waw" is more accurately expressed as a "UAU", since it conveys the sound of "U", and sometimes "O". When the letter "hay" is followed by a "uau", the sound is to be "OO", as we hear in "hallelu Yah". That "u" sound you hear in "hallelu Yah" is the letter "uau".

Certainly, Yahuah is our Deliverer, our only Savior, for He Himself took on the form of human flesh, offering that flesh as atonement for all the sins of mankind, once for all. Yahusha revealed the Father to us, and His chasid (lovingkindness) that endures forever.
  • "Therefore he who rejects this does not reject man, but Elohim, Who also gives us His Set-apart Spirit." [1 Thess 4:8]

". . . giving thanks to the Father who has made us fit to share in the inheritance of the set-apart ones in the light, Who has delivered us from the authority of darkness, and transferred us into the reign of the Son of His love, in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, Who is the likeness of the invisible Elohim, the first-born of all creation." [Col 1:12-15]
When I began researching the tetragrammaton, all the resources pointed to the Jewish Encyclopedia as their credibility. This also is the source for their comments regarding the statements like "the actual pronunciation has been lost" . . . . and other comments about how it should NEVER be uttered aloud. Then, the Jewish Encyclopedia declares that "YAHWEH" is perhaps the closest rendering that can be made, given what we know now. But, as I went to the Hebrew alef-beth to learn how to make the letter sounds for different words, I discovered that the letter that is CALLED "waw" by name is really more like our letter "U". (UAU - pronounced "ooo-ah"). The thing is, the Hebrew alef-beth has no letter "W" (double-U) - the letter "W" appeared around the 13th century. This made me ponder why they would divert the four letters (which Yosephus declares are VOWELS), so as to be impossible to pronounce by inserting a letter that never existed, nor does it exist now, in the Hebrew. There's simply no letter "W".

So, I asked myself why might this be. AH! They don't want anyone pronouncing the true Name! And, the authors of the articles in the Jewish Encyclopedias are JEWISH ORTHODOX RABBIS, who revere the TALMUD, which prescribes the death-penalty for uttering the Name aloud. Then, it was simply a matter of looking at all the situations where the letter we call "waw" is used in other Hebrew words. We see the "waw" in the phrase "hallelu Yah", where the "u" is this letter. Also, in the spelling of the tribe known as "Yahudah", the same letter is giving us that "u" sound. The letters are symbols for SOUNDS. The secret is simple:
  • "YAHUDAH" is spelled YOD-HAY-UAU-DALETH-HAY.

Notice the four letters in this five-lettered word. It's as simple as saying "YAHUDAH", without the sound of the letter "D": YAHUAH. With no letter "W", it's amazing these "scholars" managed to pull this fraud on so many people for so long, eh?
Reason:

_SoaringEagle

Post by _SoaringEagle » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:01 pm

Michelle asked when she wrote:Troy, is this stuff you believe or are you just putting it up for discussion, or...what?
I have some friends that I used to always hang out with like everyday in my teenage years, who are now all influenced by this type of stuff. In fact, the four of them no longer want anything to do with Christianity, because they feel like they have been lied to. Two of them are in prison, one of them seemed to placed faith towards Christ, and the fourth one regularly went to a non-denominational church off and on for several years. One of them came across this book called "Fossilized Customs" by Lew White, a guy that currently lives in my city. Consequently, they all now have adopted the views propogated in the book. In fact, Lew White is the author of the two topics I posted. I just seen one of the guys yesterday, and he seems to feel like because he has found "the truth" and mentally adheres to it, he's alright with God. However, he unrepentantly does many things that are obviously sinful. Since he (and perhaps the other three) would most likely view me as one who partakes in pagan practices, I don't know how I can bypass their views and proclaim to them that Jesus is Lord, and that they must pledge their allengience to Him who sits on the throne to be saved. This is why I am posting this stuff here and invoking discussion.
Reason:

_Michelle

Post by _Michelle » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:12 pm

Wow, that's interesting. Thanks for the background. I'm not the one equipped to help you overcome their arguments, but I can pray that God will open their eyes to the deception they've bought into.
Reason:

_SoaringEagle

Post by _SoaringEagle » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:34 pm

Evangelion wrote:

With regard to the name "Jesus" - yes, it is true that the original Hebrew name did not begin with the letter "J", since Hebrew has no such letter. Jesus' real name was probably "Yashua", "Yeshua", "Yehoshua", "Yahoshua", or something similar.

However, the name "Yeshu", while looking similar to Jesus' name, is totally unrelated. It is not an acronym, but a name given to any heretical Jewish preacher. At no time was the name "Yeshu" ever attributed to Jesus himself - not even by the unbelieving Jews (see the Wikipedia article here).

The Septuagint rendered Joshua's name as "Iēsous", and the New Testament follows this practice for the name "Jesus". Thus, our Greek New Testament calls Jesus "Iēsous".

The use of the letter "J" did not begin with the Jesuits, but emerged naturally from the Anglicization of the name "Jesus" by English translators and printers. As early as the 14th Century (nearly 100 years before the Jesuits existed), John Wycliffe used the dual spellings "Jhesus" and "Jhesu".

A later form was "Jesu", originally popularised in hymns and subsequently used by European composers such as Johann Sebastian Bach. The spelling "Jesus" was also used by the KJV translators (though not until the 1629 edition).

I hope this helps to clarify the issue and alleviate your concerns. You might also be interested in this article, which is quite informative.
Reason:

_Michelle

Post by _Michelle » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:45 pm

Soaring Eagle, I've enjoyed reading both of the post you put up from Evangelion. I miss him.
Reason:

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:54 am

Michelle, you wrote:Soaring Eagle, I've enjoyed reading both of the post you put up from Evangelion. I miss him.
If you miss him, you can join the Christadelphian forum where he posts frequently:

http://www.thechristadelphians.org/forums/

I met him on those forums long before I had ever heard of this one. I used to argue with the Christadelphians, trying to show scripturally the pre-existence of Jesus. The Christadelphians believe that the begetting of Jesus took place at the time of his conception in the womb of Mary. Prior to that, according to the Christadelphians, he did not exist. They do not believe in the deity of Christ.

In the days I used to post there, I encountered Evangelion quite often. At the time, I understood him to be a Christadelphian.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_TK

Post by _TK » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:40 am

so did I paidion- i think he said as much here, somewhere.

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:51 pm

Lew White (quoted by SoaringEagle) wrote:

"The Mashiach of Israel certainly never had a Greek name, so let's hunt-down His real, Hebrew Name!"

To which I would reply, "Why?" Is God so uptight that He insists on the correct pronunciation of His proper name before He recognizes it? I have been in many countries, where I have been introduced by various foreign-language forms of my name, as well as mispronunciations. This has not offended me in the least. Even if they had called be by an etymologically-unrelated nickname (so long as it was not intrinsically insulting), I would find no objection to it.

My assumption is that, when they use that name, I am the person to whom they are referring. Who I am is more important than the moniker by which someone chooses to refer to me. Is God Himself more picky and thin-skinned than I am? I seriously doubt it! It is the view of God's character exhibited in these writings that seems tragically misguided to me.

The fact that the apostles themselves were content to use the Greek form of Christ's name in their writings (Yes, all of them—apart from Matthew—did apparently write their original autographs in Greek, notwithstanding Mr. White's view-of-convenience to the contrary) speaks of the legitimacy of translating or transliterating the Messiah's proper name from one language to another. Why not English? Are we permitted to refer to Him by the English expression, "Lamb of God," or must we use the Aramaic expression that John the Baptist used in thus designating the Messiah? Where does such pettiness end?

Lew White also, apparently, wrote:

"Now you know. Tell everyone you know, and don't allow the Jesuits to succeed at this horrifying deception."

Again, I would ask, "Why?" The fruit of this inquiry has been very bad in all the people I know who have become interested in it. They major on minors, and take on a rather "gnostic-like" attitude of being among the select few who "know" these "essential truths." I have seen no one become a better disciple as a result of becoming mixed-up in this nonsense.

Lew White (again) wrote:

"Yeh-Zeus is not our Messiah"

I have often encountered this idiotic, alleged connection between the names "Jesus" and "Zeus" (along with the inane claim that "Christ" is derived from the word "Krishna"!). There is no validity in the suggestion that the English name "Jesus" is derived in any sense from the root "Zeus" (nor is there any connection between "Christos"—the Greek word for "anointed"—and "Krishna," which is Sanskrit, meaning "the dark one"). The advocacy of this kind of stupidity entirely destroys the credibility of the writer.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

Return to “Christian Evidences & Challenges”