Proof for God's existence

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:35 am

But i dont think thats the case. The problem is with premise 1.

The astrophysicists and physicists that i talk to at school seem to believe that the matter was in a different form called dark matter. I have seen more and more writing on this, as it becomes more prevalent in discoveries and theories, etc.

So the idea is that this particulary universe is finite, but came from pre-existing forms of some kind,s.a. alternate universe, etc.
In addition, the matter, is created and destroyed in a sense, that it was dark matter, and turned into atoms, etc. So the idea that matter doesnt arise by itself, would be flawed.

I was using "Universe" as meaning all that exists. Any "alternate universes", "previous universes" etc. (if they exist or existed) are all included in the ALL to which my word "Universe" applies.

The argument you gave above just puts the creation of the matter and energy back a step to the supposed "dark matter". Now apply my proof to the creation of "dark matter", and you still end up with supernatural creation, that is, creation from a source outside the natural Universe.

I have also heard cosmic evolutionists state that the laws of thermodynamics did not apply to the original creation of matter and energy. No explanations as to why the laws do not apply was given. In my opinon a cop out.

I thought the following is an interesting argument given by John Hicks author of a philosophy of religion book. I cannot locate the book, and so I will give a similar but not identical argument.

The argument shows that none of us actually believe that life occurred by chance. The argument uses the human eye as a specific example.

Suppose that beneath a cliff you found an arrangement of stones that appeared to be English letters spelling "This way to Thunder Bay". Beside the apparent letters was an arrow pointing in a specific direction.

Could the arrangement of stones have come about by chance forces? Is it possible that the rocks have simply tumbled from the cliff into this arrangement so that they appeared to us as English words and an arrow?
Many of us would agree that, unlikely as it is, it is POSSIBLE,

Now suppose that you actually believe that the rocks were not arranged by any intelligent agents such as people, but simply came together that way by chance. Would there then be any reason for you to believe that Thunder Bay was located in the direction that the arrow seemed to indicate? The answer, of course, is "no".

Now consider the human eyes. Were they put together by an intelligent agent, or did they come together by chance? If they came together by chance, then there is absolutely no reason to believe what they tell you.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_Damon

Post by _Damon » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:18 pm

Hi Jim.
jim wrote:Maybe its not out objective knowledge, maybe its more about faith. And knowledge of god becomes certain subjectively.
Sort of. What I meant is that the truths that really matter, according to Christianity and the bible, are matters of the heart. For instance, how should I treat my neighbor? How should I treat my enemy? How should I feel - and what should I do - about the fact that I sometimes hurt others (and myself) because of what I do or say?

Things like that. If those kinds of questions resonate with you, then you'll likely find answers that truly satisfy you in Christianity and in the bible. If those kinds of questions aren't important to you, then you likely won't find anything that will satisfy you there. Or if you do, you'll be reading things into the bible that aren't there to begin with. (And unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there who do that. For instance, people who read "The Da Vinci Code" and like the idea of Christianity being founded on a lie, or people who read Zecharia Sitchin's "The Twelfth Planet" and like the idea of aliens creating life on earth rather than God, are among them.)

Damon
Reason:

_Some Partial-Pret guy

Post by _Some Partial-Pret guy » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:16 pm

Hello Jim.

Nice to talk to you.
To add my 2 cents into the hat, as far as myself is concerned; the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus 'sold' it to me. What I mean by that is, if someone says he will lay down his life and pick it back up again, then actually does that very thing, then I am compelled to give more weight to what that person has to say about things. This also validates Christ's claim to be the very God of Israel himself. Jesus affirms the scriptures and the prophets as true, and in doing so, excludes any other 'reality' that people come up with that doesn't conform with what Jesus told us reality is.

Jesus, the one true God, states reality as this: There is only one God. The one God has three persons. God's eternaly seperate persons are known as the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The Son created all things that has ever been or shall ever be. The Son took on and added Flesh to his nature and is now forever the God-man, who's attonement for our sins is the only way to reconcile man to the Father, who is Holy, Holy, Holy.

Buddah and Muhammad claimed only to point to 'the way'. Only Jesus claimed to BE the way.

Well, thanks for letting me share, Jim. May you come to know the one who knit you together in your mother's womb, created the universe, and died for your sins before you were ever born. Take care and God bless you in your search for truth.
Reason:

_Damon

Post by _Damon » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:31 pm

Hi Partial-Pret Guy.

Although I like your answer, I actually think mine is just as substantial without even having to rely on whether one believes that Jesus died and was resurrected. That's why I phrased mine the way that I did. Christianity certainly is all about Jesus...but what is Jesus all about? Jesus is all about just what I was talking about above. We can get more detailed, of course, talking about matters of death, the afterlife, and resurrection, but even those things ultimately boil down to how we treat our neighbor, both now and eternally.

Right?

Anyway, I've gotten used to talking in a "universal" kind of language which anyone can understand and agree with, regardless of whether they believe in Jesus or not. That doesn't stop me from sharing about Jesus, but on the other hand it doesn't predicate the acceptance of what I'm saying as a whole on whether the person is willing to believe in Jesus either.

Damon
Reason:

_Christopher

Post by _Christopher » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:24 pm

Has anyone ever heard of the First Principles of Reality?

1. Being is (principle of existence)
2. Being is being (principle of identity)
3. Being is not non-being (principle of non-contradiction)
4. Either being or non-being (principle of the excluded middle)
5. Non-being cannot cause being (principle of causality)
6. Contingent being cannot cause contingent being (principle of contigency)
7. Only necessary being can cause a contigent being (positive principle of modality)
8. Necessary being cannot cause necessary being (negative principle of modality)
9. Every contigent being is caused by a necessary being (principle of existential causality)
10. Necessary being exists (principle of existential necessity)
11. Contingent being exists (principle of existential contingency)
12. Necessary being is similar to similar contingent being(s) is causes (principle of analogy)

Thoughts?
Reason:
"If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:31-32

_Damon

Post by _Damon » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:28 pm

Yeah. My head hurts now. @.@

Damon
Reason:

_Christopher

Post by _Christopher » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:37 am

Sorry about that Damon. Basically what it's saying is that if anything exists, God exists (in a manner of speaking). I think it's the building blocks for the ontological argument. The only principle that I can see even being logically debatable at all is #12.
Reason:
"If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:31-32

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:55 pm

Sounds right to me. I agree that #12 might be debatable.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

Return to “Christian Evidences & Challenges”