Starlight & Time

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:25 pm

once heard it said that in performing physical miracles, God does not "break" the physical laws of the Universe. Rather He transcends them.

Well if God trancends His laws i don't think that's the norm although in creating the universe it's certainly possible He did BUT there is no evidence He did. "Yom" clearly does not need to mean 24 hours and in Gen 2 it does'nt and Moses the writer of Gen said in the Psalms that "a day to God is like a thousand yrs to man." I don't think Moses literally meant a thousand years but simply a long period of time. It just seems strange to me that if God is revealed to us in the heavens and the heavens physically measure to be billions of years old that all it really is, is an appearance of age and an appearance of varying stages of development for stars.
And the white hole theory i believe is only a theoretical mathematical model that only YECs believe although i will look into it more.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_TK

Post by _TK » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:20 pm

This is an older thread and I apologize for jumping in late. my following question/observation has probably been addressed elsewhere by Steve or someone else ad nauseum so again my apologies.

But if God created the universe/earth with an "appearance of age" doesnt this somehow work against his perfect truthfulness? it seems that if a person explains starlight and other things by stating that God simply created the earth with the starlight already here, trees with age rings, etc then in essence the person is acquiescing to the idea that God "tricked" us. i know this seems rather harsh but i personally dont think God tricked us nor would it be in his nature to do so.

it just seems that an awful lot of seemingly solid science (even the science of many christians who are scientists, e.g. hugh ross) has to be ignored to accept a young earth view. could God have created rocks that show scientific dating of a million years, but are actually only 15000 or so years old? he COULD have, but the question is DID He? and if He did, then why?

Don't get me wrong, I believe that God created the universe. i guess the question lies in the details.

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:40 pm

But if God created the universe/earth with an "appearance of age" doesnt this somehow work against his perfect truthfulness? it seems that if a person explains starlight and other things by stating that God simply created the earth with the starlight already here, trees with age rings, etc then in essence the person is acquiescing to the idea that God "tricked" us. i know this seems rather harsh but i personally dont think God tricked us nor would it be in his nature to do so.

I would'nt look at the appearance of age as God tricking us as it's not our place to judge God and if He did do that then He had a very good reason. However since science suggests OEC and since scripture allows for OEC it seems to me the YEC is a bit of an overeaction to the imagined threat of evolution. Whether YEC is true or OEC is true evolution is still just an unproven unlikely philosophy.
Reason:

Return to “Christian Evidences & Challenges”