Why is the Universe so infinitly large?

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:59 am

Speaking of evening, STEVE7150, I was curious if you could show from the scriptures where "evening" is refering to "desolation and darkness" and not just the beginning of night time. I see words like "darkness" and "desolation" used spiritually themselves a lot , but I can't find evening used in this sense.

Derek, As far as i know the term "then there was evening and then there was morning" is only used to describe these days of creation which IMO separates them from 24hr days. As far as the light goes "In the beginning God created the heavens" includes the sun and moon and the light on the 4th day was to RULE the day and a lessor light to RULE the night meaning this light already existed but God allowed these lights to shine through so that day and night could be identified on the 4th day.

Allyn, thanks for the help.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Roger

Post by _Roger » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:26 am

What do you all think of the "Gap" theory? Could the earth have been here before the record in Genesis, have gone through some kind of judgemntal experience and then we are brought into the scene when the scriptures states that "the earth was without form and void". Then the record in Genesis would actually be describing Gods restoration of the planet preparing it for human exsistance and the ongoing of His eternal will. Your comments and thoughts please.
Reason:

_Allyn

Post by _Allyn » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:54 am

It seems to be a rare event that God caused an immediate result except on the occasions of testing, for producing faith, or in warfare to name a few. God, as it seems has dealt with His creation in a natural process which by definition requires time. Although certainly able to instantly create the universe with everyting already in their far reaching positions, my guess would be that God allowed the proper passage of time to occur. If you think about it, God has always allowed for us to discover the origins of his product. Could it be that this is a test He puts upon us all to determine where our faith lies on such matters or could it be that God's glory demands the unfolding results of things we see and don't see?
Reason:

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:47 am

I suspect that the source from which you wish to transfer coloured text uses a different "colour system" than the forum.

When I compose a reply on a word processor, I just type in the colour commands right into the word processor. Then when I copy that text, it comes out in colour in my reply.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:53 am

Paidion...are you saying that the light of a day existed here on earth before the sun got here?
No, I am not saying it. Genesis 1:3-5 is saying it. Or do you not agree that that is what is says?
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:58 am

What do you all think of the "Gap" theory?
The gap theory was proposed, I think it was in the early twentieth century, in an attempt to reconcile the account of creation in Genesis with the theory of evolution. Had evolution theory not been invented, then the gap theory would never have come into being.

In my opinion, the gap theory is nearly as ludicrous as the evolution theory itself.
Reason:
Paidion

_thrombomodulin

the Light in gen 1:5

Post by _thrombomodulin » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:57 pm

I would like to ask for comments on this:

1) Someone said the light on the first day was perhaps the glory of God. The glory of God would seem to be an intrinsic part of who God is. If he had to create his glory (i.e. creating light), then does this imply he was not glorious in the beginning before the creation of his glory/light? If God is really unchanging this would seem to be a serious problem with the view that of the light actually being the glory of God.

2) Steve7150 suggest that the phrase "there was evening and there was morning day X." indicates a non-24 hour period. What would be wrong or inconsistent with the text to consider the day from morning to morning? The jews measured evening to evening, and we measure midnight to midnight, so the staring and stopping point of the "day" seems more or less arbitrary.
Reason:

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:16 pm

2) Steve7150 suggest that the phrase "there was evening and there was morning day X." indicates a non-24 hour period. What would be wrong or inconsistent with the text to consider the day from morning to morning? The jews measured evening to evening, and we measure midnight to midnight, so the staring and stopping point of the "day" seems more or less arbitrary.

Yes the starting and stopping points may be arbitrary but it still added up to 24 hours and if you believe in a literal 24 hours per creation day then to be consistent you should take the evening and morning 12 hour description literally and therein lies a problem since God inspired Moses to write in this way. Interestingly this description is not used on the 7th day when God rested and did'nt create implying that this is a poetic description of a creation process IMHO.
Reason:

_Derek

Re: the Light in gen 1:5

Post by _Derek » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:34 pm

thrombomodulin wrote:I would like to ask for comments on this:

1) Someone said the light on the first day was perhaps the glory of God. The glory of God would seem to be an intrinsic part of who God is. If he had to create his glory (i.e. creating light), then does this imply he was not glorious in the beginning before the creation of his glory/light? If God is really unchanging this would seem to be a serious problem with the view that of the light actually being the glory of God.
Hey brother,
God said let there be light (on the darkness on the face of the deep mentioned in vs. 2). I would say that letting His light shine on this darkness, would be the same as Him letting it shine on the shepherds in Luke 2:9. In neither case do we have to say that it, (His glory), didn't exist before right? Maybe I'm missing something. Either way, I am content to believe that He just said let it be and it was. He's perfectly capable of making light without the sun.
Derek
Reason:

_Derek

Post by _Derek » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:50 pm

I was just thinking, God Himself says that He made the the Heaven and the Earth, the sea and all that is in them in Six days and then rested on the Sabbath day in Exodus 20:11. He is talking about the Sabbath day, (which I suppose, everyone agrees is a normal day and not an epoch) in the context, so would this not make any other way of looking at the other six days mentioned as anything other than normal 24hr days impossible? If we read the creation account in Gen. in light of this more direct statement directly from God, how can it be seen any other way?
Derek
Reason:

Return to “Christian Evidences & Challenges”