Chuck Colson quote

Ian

Chuck Colson quote

Post by Ian » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:59 am

I posted a meme with this text on my FB page:

"“I know the resurrection is a fact, and Watergate proved it to me. How? Because 12 men testified they had seen Jesus raised from the dead, then they proclaimed that truth for 40 years, never once denying it. Every one was beaten, tortured, stoned and put in prison. They would not have endured that if it weren't true. Watergate embroiled 12 of the most powerful men in the world-and they couldn't keep a lie for three weeks. You're telling me 12 apostles could keep a lie for 40 years? Absolutely impossible.” "
Charles Colson

to which someone countered:

"People can believe whatever they want, but that meme is just based off very poor epistemology"

How might I best respond to this?

Thanks

steve7150

Re: Chuck Colson quote

Post by steve7150 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:32 am

to which someone countered:

"People can believe whatever they want, but that meme is just based off very poor epistemology"

How might I best respond to this?

It wasn't just the twelve it was the 500 who saw the resurrected Christ & they probably were the fuel for the new Christian community that grew despite Roman oppression & persecution. To survive through this Christians had to be very motivated to sacrifice their lives because self preservation is the strongest instinct so the resurrection was necessary for them to give up their lives.

Singalphile

Re: Chuck Colson quote

Post by Singalphile » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:09 pm

A couple thoughts came to my mind as I read Colson's quote.

1. He overstates the case, I think. We don't know all that much about the apostles.
2. Conspiracies and secrets were easier 2,000 years ago.

So, Colson goes a little overboard, sure, but the point is that the good testimony and character of witnesses certainly help us know what's true, and the available evidence suggests that the apostles weren't involved in a conspiracy.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Return to “Agnosticism & Atheism”