Did Jesus Command His Apostles to Kill?

Paidion

Did Jesus Command His Apostles to Kill?

Post by Paidion » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:25 pm

According to Luke in his gospel, Jesus commanded the apostles to bring his enemies to Him and to slaughter them in front of Him! Here are the words of Jesus, according to Luke:

"...But as for these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slaughter them before me."
(Luke 19:27 ESV)

Neither Matthew nor John, who were apostles of Jesus, made any reference to the incident that Luke describes.
So where did Luke get his information concerning it? He had never seen Jesus nor heard Him speak.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Homer

Re: Did Jesus Command His Apostles to Kill?

Post by Homer » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:43 pm

Hi Paidion,

I don't think you can consider verse 27 apart from the parable that precedes it. Note verse 14:

14. But his citizens hated him and sent a delegation after him, saying, ‘We do not want this man to reign over us.’

I think the reference in verse 27 is to either the judgement of 70AD or the final judgement. Who among those who heard Jesus' words would have been able at that point in time to gather and slay those who rejected His kingdom?

steve

Post by steve » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:38 pm

I am not seeing any reference to Jesus telling the apostles to kill anybody. There are no commands given to the apostles in this passage. The deaths of these rebels appears to correspond to the deaths of those in 2 Thessalonians 1:8-9 and in Matthew 25:46.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:43 am

Okay, I can see your point, Homer and Steve, if you consider these words as part of Jesus' parable.
I had taken it as Jesus' words to His disciples subsequent to the parable, concerning the attitude of certain people who would "not have this man (Jesus) to rule over us."
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Christianity”