Who do you say Jesus is?

kaufmannphillips

Re: Who do you say Jesus is?

Post by kaufmannphillips » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:20 am

kaufmannphillips wrote:
My comment didn't mention Deuteronomy. It addressed elohim. I do not regard Deuteronomy as canonical, so Dr. Fruchtenbaum has not set a line of skirmish for my belief system.

RND wrote:
Did you write this: "Hear, O Israel - HSHM is our G-d; HSHM is One." That's the Shema from Deuteronomy 6:4 and that's why I quoted Deuteronomy. If you don't think Deuteronomy is canonical why on earth would you quote it in an attempt to make your point. Stunning!
If you will look back, I was articulating the perspective of Judaism, not my own. Judaism does not question the canonicity of Deuteronomy.

I might be more striking than stunning. Even with my hair down.
========================
"The more something is repeated, the more it becomes an unexamined truth...." (Nicholas Thompson)
========================

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:10 am

kaufmannphillips wrote:
kaufmannphillips wrote:
My comment didn't mention Deuteronomy. It addressed elohim. I do not regard Deuteronomy as canonical, so Dr. Fruchtenbaum has not set a line of skirmish for my belief system.

RND wrote:
Did you write this: "Hear, O Israel - HSHM is our G-d; HSHM is One." That's the Shema from Deuteronomy 6:4 and that's why I quoted Deuteronomy. If you don't think Deuteronomy is canonical why on earth would you quote it in an attempt to make your point. Stunning!
If you will look back, I was articulating the perspective of Judaism, not my own. Judaism does not question the canonicity of Deuteronomy.

I might be more striking than stunning. Even with my hair down.
So, would you object to being characterized as not being a Christian? Is there a stream of faith or religion with which you would associated yourself ? Would you consider yourself a proselyte to Judaism? I'm trying to understand where you're coming from on some of your posts.

kaufmannphillips

Post by kaufmannphillips » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:00 am

darinhouston wrote:So, would you object to being characterized as not being a Christian? Is there a stream of faith or religion with which you would associated yourself ? Would you consider yourself a proselyte to Judaism? I'm trying to understand where you're coming from on some of your posts.
I am not a Christian. I am not a proselyte to Judaism, because I have not undergone a conversion paradigm with a Jewish congregation. However, I observe Torah (however imperfectly) and share the basic essential of Jewish theology (that there is only one G-d).
========================
"The more something is repeated, the more it becomes an unexamined truth...." (Nicholas Thompson)
========================

Jill

Post by Jill » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:40 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaufmannphillips

Post by kaufmannphillips » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:28 pm

karenprtlnd wrote:A reminder that not all Christians are "Trinitarians" and uphold both the Old Testament (Tanakh), and the New Testament, as its Holy Writ. :)
Hi, Karen,

I know this is the case. For maybe three-plus years now, I have met weekly with a group of unitarian (lower-case "u") Christians. For part of the time, I lead a class in backgrounds to the bible, and for part of the time, there is group bible study, which I do not head up.
========================
========================

Jill

Post by Jill » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:43 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaufmannphillips

Post by kaufmannphillips » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:45 am

karenprtlnd wrote:Don't the Unitarians believe that Jesus Christ was merely just a great teacher? One of many.
With the lower-case "u," "unitarian" refers to holding the theological position that G-d is a single person (in contrast to trinitarianism, where G-d is three persons, or binitarianism, where G-d is two persons). People who hold this position may differ significantly from each other when it comes to other theological topics.

Without vouching for all the content, Wikipedia's article might be a useful jumping-off point for exploring the matter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarians .
========================
========================

Jill

Post by Jill » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:12 pm

kaufmannphillips

Post by kaufmannphillips » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:10 am

karenprtlnd wrote:The LDS are mono theistic, but also believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ. Him alone being, the Son of the One true living God. The Father. Monotheistic. One God.

We also believe that Jesus Christ was not only with God the Father from the beginning, but that Jesus Christ was the very JHVH (Jehovah), Lord of the Jew, in the Old ttestament.
I believe that Abraham was considered a "friend" even, not only to JHVH, but to God the Father as well.

Both the "divinity" of the man, Jesus Christ, and the Pre-mortal/Post-mortal JHVH matters to us.
The "Old Testament" terms "JHVH (Jehovah)" a god.

And I am "JHVH (Jehovah)", your god from the land of Egypt.... [Hosea 13:4a]

So if "JHVH (Jehovah)" is a god, and the Father is G-d, then how does the LDS tradition understand this to be monotheistic?
========================
========================

Jill

Post by Jill » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:54 pm

Return to “Judaism”