(an) lds on: The Atonement (unplugged).

Jill

Post by Jill » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:22 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RND

Re: The Atonement (unplugged).

Post by RND » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:45 pm

karenprtlnd wrote:Teachings of the efficacy of pondering or looking upon a tortured man nailed to a piece of wood as a healing technique is hideous to me personally. I am a disciple of Jesus Christ. I have been baptised into his name. I am not an antagonist, nor an apostate anything.
It's metaphorical for Jesus taking the sin of the world upon Himself. He was "made sin" for our salvation. Isaiah 53 stuff.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

Jill

Post by Jill » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:05 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RND

Post by RND » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:41 am

karenprtlnd wrote:Could this be expounded upon by someone?
Would Paul help?

2Cr 5:21 For he hath made him [to be] sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
The blood sacrifice of first born unspotted animals,

Symbolic for the sinless nature of Jesus.
did not include torturing them

But it was symbolic of us having a hand in the death of the innocent lamb.
and then nailing them live to a piece of wood,
Actually the sacrifice was burned in the brazen alter to symbolize the "complete" sacrifice of Christ for our sin.
to look at for the remission of ones "sins".
"Remission" is also another term for "healing." You've heard of people who's cancer was in "remission?" We are "healed" through His sacrifice. Through His willingness to give His all for us.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

Jill

Post by Jill » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:11 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RND

Post by RND » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:18 pm

karenprtlnd wrote:Isn't Christianity defined by the name Jesus Christ? Not necessarily defined by Paul or John the beloved only?

I see Jesus (who is JHVH come as a man child thru his own people by Mary of the Holy Ghost, in time) as a now disciple of John who baptised him, who's mother, Elizabeth, was the cousin of Mary the mother of Jesus. John was crying repentence and of a one who is to come when Jesus arrived. Jesus continues along this same vein. Jesus is a healer, and did no animal torturing to do so or to accomplish "healing" or remission of "sins" in us. Jesus Christ is the "Approved" way and healing for all man...

Because he was put to death by Roman ways? No. Many have been put to death by torturous means. But because after he was witnessed dead by many, He was seen again by many post mortem alive in form manifest. You could touch him and we are told he even ate with some. This is amazing. By this I am healed by hope, and by his words that we have in our day. NT/OT. Some of Josephus. The DSS also may show an interesting view of pre NT.

In addition, the LDS merely have the records of Mormon, and some of what Joseph Smith conveyed by use of the U.T. that came along with the plates that the book of Mormon was rendered from. There is not much at this point, for me, to differentiate the LDS from the greater of european christiandom. I agree that there are problems within the LDS group, but lacking in the NT is not one of them.
How about the Old? Can't possibly understand the New without understanding the Old.

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

Jill

Post by Jill » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:41 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RND

Post by RND » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:08 pm

karenprtlnd wrote:Maybe you can. Most of my drive is straight out of the Matthew document.
Lots of OT references in Matthew.
Of coarse the LDS use the Old Testament as well as the New Testament. Of coarse. The book of Mormon is just more records of Old Testament people. A small group that left 1st year Zedekiah (which comprises the beginning people of the almost thousand year span of this little record) is of a Lehi of the tribe of Manasseh who is of Joseph of Egypt.
Lehi was a place, not a person from what I know.
Where can I get a 7th Day Adventist cook book from? :)
Your nearest ABC (Adventist Book Center) or online at: http://www.adventistbookcenter.com

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

Jill

Post by Jill » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:13 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RND

Post by RND » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:06 am

karenprtlnd wrote:(Nice cook book collection by the way. The LDS was given a very nice dietary guideline in the early 1800's very similar to the 7th day vegans I think, found in section 89 of JSHC. The LDS just ignores it. This makes me very sad sometimes and very angry sometimes. Some great cook books might just do the trick :) Thank you. I've considered the health of 7th Day folks).
Did you know the average male Adventist will live 6 years longer than the normal population? The average Adventist woman nearly 9 years? Healthy living is indeed all it's cracked up to be.

I've been to 4 funerals this year. 3 were in there mid 80's, one was in his mid 90's.
Lehi is a person. I would think of the Likhi of Manasseh in 1 chronicles 7:19. But not known.
Lehi is a place in Palestine and the Hebrew word for Lehi is Lechiy. It is mentioned 3 times in Judges.

The Isralite named Likhi in 1 Chronicles is the Hebrew word Liqchiy. He is mentioned only once in the Bible.

One is clearly a place the other clearly a person.

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

Return to “Latter Day Saints (aka Mormonism)”