Flat Earth? Really?

User avatar
Soulsnaxx
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:45 pm

Flat Earth? Really?

Post by Soulsnaxx » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:20 pm

Is there more to the Flat-Earth Theory than mere childish absurdity? Can anyone really believe that the theory is supported by science or by Scripture? And yet, they are out there ~ the Flat Earthers. Some probably are tricksters just having foolish fun, but some are flat-out fools who really believe the myth. Some, amazingly, claim to be Christians. What is their goal? Are they deceived, or are they phonies who are deliberately trying to make Christianity look foolish?

Steve Gregg answered a call from a man who claims to believe the earth is a disk, and that the sun orbits it. Gregg deflates the caller's argument, leaving it flat.

Here's the link

https://youtu.be/eQRZXu0N_TQ

1) Have you encountered a Flat Earther? Please share.

2) If you are one...why?


User avatar
Paidion
Posts: 5017
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:22 pm
Location: Back Woods of North-Western Ontario

Re: Flat Earth? Really?

Post by Paidion » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:50 pm

My father-in-law believed the earth was flat. Why? He probably would have said that it is obvious, and that there is nothing in the Bible about the earth being spherical. The expression "the circle of the earth" probably refers to a disk, and not necessarily to a sphere, he would have said.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 82.

User avatar
Soulsnaxx
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: Flat Earth? Really?

Post by Soulsnaxx » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:10 pm

Thanks for your comment, Paidion.

Since the advent of transoceanic ships and airplanes, it's hard to understand how anyone can believe that the earth is flat. Perhaps in ancient times, but not now. Over the last several hundreds of years, many, many people have flown and/or sailed around the earth. All of them would have to be in cahoots to hide the fact that the earth is a disk. Millions of sailors, passengers, and pilots all in on the conspiracy. To top it off, in my opinion, why have the Flat-earthers never conducted an expedition to film and photograph the underside of the flat earth? That would be a simple and inexpensive task, and news agencies would trample themselves to report it. But if flat-earthers ever struck out on such an adventure, they would resemble dopey dogs chasing their tails around, and around, and around.

User avatar
Paidion
Posts: 5017
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:22 pm
Location: Back Woods of North-Western Ontario

Re: Flat Earth? Really?

Post by Paidion » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:47 pm

You are right, of course, Soulsnaxx.

I was just answering your question, "Have you encountered a Flat Earther? Please share." And as I reported, I encountered my father-in-law.
You wrote: All of them would have to be in cahoots to hide the fact that the earth is a disk.
Uh... I think you meant "the fact that the earth is a sphere." Didn't you?
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 82.

User avatar
Soulsnaxx
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: Flat Earth? Really?

Post by Soulsnaxx » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:14 am

Paidion wrote:I was just answering your question, "Have you encountered a Flat Earther? Please share." And as I reported, I encountered my father-in-law.
.

Thanks for your comments, Paidion. In my response to your first comment, I was just elaborating on my own introductory comment, not critiquing yours. It makes me shake my head and scratch my chin when I hear that someone thinks the earth is flat. Amazing!
Paidion wrote:Uh... I think you meant "the fact that the earth is a sphere." Didn't you?
You're correct, disk should be sphere. Thanks for noticing. Perhaps this Flat Earth Fallacy is getting to me! :o

User avatar
steve
Posts: 3362
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:45 pm

Re: Flat Earth? Really?

Post by steve » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:08 pm

Paidion wrote:
Uh... I think you meant "the fact that the earth is a sphere." Didn't you?
Tim wrote:
You're correct, disk should be sphere. Thanks for noticing. Perhaps this Flat Earth Fallacy is getting to me! :o

Actually, Tim, I think you were right in saying "disk." Your argument seemed to be, "If the earth is really a disk (as flat-earthers claim) then the fact that it is a disk is being deliberately concealed by a conspiracy of thousands who know it is a disk, but who wish to misrepresent it as a globe."

User avatar
Soulsnaxx
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: Flat Earth? Really?

Post by Soulsnaxx » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:44 pm

Soulsnaxx wrote:Over the last several hundreds of years, many, many people have flown and/or sailed around the earth. All of them would have to be in cahoots to hide the fact that the earth is a disk. Millions of sailors, passengers, and pilots all in on the conspiracy.
Paidion wrote:Uh... I think you meant "the fact that the earth is a sphere." Didn't you?
Soulsnaxx wrote:You're correct, disk should be sphere. Thanks for noticing.
steve wrote:Actually, Tim, I think you were right in saying "disk." Your argument seemed to be, "If the earth is really a disk (as flat-earthers claim) then the fact that it is a disk is being deliberately concealed by a conspiracy of thousands who know it is a disk, but who wish to misrepresent it as a globe."
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter. Steve is correct. My sentence was unclear, which led to Paidion's confusion, and subsequently to my own. I knew what I meant, and I'm glad Steve figured it out. Thanks for the correction correction.

User avatar
Paidion
Posts: 5017
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:22 pm
Location: Back Woods of North-Western Ontario

Re: Flat Earth? Really?

Post by Paidion » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:36 pm

Perhaps that is the case,Soulnaxx.

When I read the words "the fact that the world is a disk" I thought you meant "sphere" because it is not a FACT that the world is a disk. Dictionaries define "fact" as "the quality of being actual."

Perhaps your meaning would have been clear had you said, "Over the last several hundreds of years, many, many people have flown and/or sailed around the earth. All of them would have to be in cahoots to hide what flat-earthers perceived to be the fact that the earth is a disk. Millions of sailors, passengers, and pilots all in on the conspiracy."
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 82.

User avatar
steve
Posts: 3362
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:45 pm

Re: Flat Earth? Really?

Post by steve » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:37 pm

I think the reasoning was:

"If the flat earth were indeed a disk, as flat-earthers affirm, then there would have to be a grand conspiracy among airline pilots and sailors who were agreeing to conceal that fact from the rest of us, since they all represent the earth as a sphere."

thrombomodulin
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:59 am

Re: Flat Earth? Really?

Post by thrombomodulin » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:26 am

I came across a technical debate last week between atheist Stefan Molyneux and a flat earth believer. This flat earth believer did not claim to base his beliefs on the bible. The link is The Flat Earth Conspiracy Debate! Yes, Really.. In general, it seems to be a sincere discussion on technical topics. Nonetheless, the flat earth theory advocate did not overcome Steve M's objections, often having no answer as the flat earth theory is not sufficiently developed at this time.

Post Reply

Return to “Other”