Kent "Dr Dino" Hovind arrested on tax evasion

_Derek

Post by _Derek » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:45 pm

I think I have to agree bro Ely. While this fellow has made Christians look a bit silly (ok very silly) with his views on things scientific, he is a Christian and when one Christian does something dumb like he may have done, in the public eye (like so many others), it hurts the testimony of the whole church and brings reproach on the Gospel. Which is a drag.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Derek

Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.
Psalm 20:7

_djeaton

Post by _djeaton » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:15 pm

Ely wrote:I sense slightly a bit too much glee in reporting this stuff. Okay, we need to be informed so thanks Dj. But I hope you are also praying for Mr Hovind and his wife that if they have indeed been dishonestly handling their money (or more accurately, the money which has been given to them by the Lord for stewardship), that they will repent and learn from their mistakes.
I *was* making fun of the "Embassy of Heaven" crowd and am not quite sure that I would count them as my fellow believers who merit my loyalty. It doesn't seem that their message and goals are the same as mine. I think Christ made it quite clear that His message was not one of loopholes and setting up an earthly kingdom...or even an "embassy" in Oklahoma. I think Hovind has just been getting some bad advice from hucksters selling tax schemes under the guise of religion. Until proven otherwise, I don't think Hovind had a goal of doing something bad.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out though. I've already seen some people rally to his side in support of everything he has done just because he is a Christian and/or a nice guy. I don't though. It isn't like arresting him was the first card played. He's been going though this for years and has been told that what he was doing was wrong. "To him that knoweth to do good....."
D.
Reason:

_djeaton

Post by _djeaton » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:38 am

More details out:
Park owner pleads not guilty to tax fraud
Evangelist says he's owned by God

Michael Stewart
@PensacolaNewsJournal.com
Pensacola evangelist Kent Hovind pleaded not guilty Monday to a 58-count federal indictment after saying he did not recognize the government's right to try him on tax-fraud charges.

Hovind, who calls himself "Dr. Dino," owns Dinosaur Adventure Land at 5800 N. Palafox St., Pensacola, a creationist theme park dedicated to debunking evolution.

For years, he has claimed that he is employed by God and has no income or property because everything he owns belongs to God. He believes man and dinosaurs inhabited the earth together and has offered a $250,000 reward to anyone who can offer him satisfactory proof of evolution.

Hovind's attorney, Assistant Public Defender Kafahni Nkrumah, told U.S. Magistrate Judge Miles Davis at a hearing Monday that his client did not want to enter a plea because he does not believe the United States, the Internal Revenue Service and the U.S. Attorney's Office "have jurisdiction in this matter."

When pressed by Davis to enter a plea of either guilty or not guilty, Hovind said he wished to enter a plea of "subornation of false muster."

"Subornation," according to Webster's Dictionary, means instigating another to do something illegal. "Muster" is an assembly, often for inspection or roll call.

When pressed by Davis, Hovind said he was entering a not guilty plea "under duress."

Hovind's wife, Jo, who is charged in 44 counts along with her husband, also pleaded not guilty. Her co-appointed attorney, Ken Ridlehoover, said he had just met her 15 minutes before the hearing so hadn't had time to discuss the case with her.

When asked where he lived, Kent Hovind replied, "I live in the church of Jesus Christ, which is located all over the world. I have no residence."

He called his home on Cummings Road, which backs Dinosaur Adventure Land, a "church parish."

U.S. District Judge Casey Rodgers will preside over the Hovinds' trial, for which Davis set a Sept. 5 date.

The indictment unsealed last week has three parts:

· Kent Hovind is accused of failing to pay $473,818 in federal income, Social Security and Medicare taxes for employees of his Creation Science Ministry between March 31, 2001, and Jan. 31, 2004.

The ministry includes Dinosaur Adventure Land, a museum and a science center.

The indictment alleges Hovind paid his employees in cash and called them "missionaries" to avoid paying payroll and FICA taxes.

· The Hovinds both are charged with 44 counts of structuring financial transactions to avoid reporting requirements.

The IRS contends they withdrew $430,500 in cash from AmSouth Bank between July 20, 2001, and Aug. 9, 2002, with each of 44 withdrawals for $9,500 or $9,600, just below the $10,000 starting point for reporting cash transactions.

· Kent Hovind also is charged with impeding an IRS investigation in several ways, including filing frivolous lawsuits and false complaints against the IRS.

In a 2002 lawsuit, Hovind complained that he feared "Gestapo actions of the Internal Revenue Service agents against him." He posted a "special notice to local, state and federal government agents, employees and inspectors" saying they could not come on his [?] property without "prior written consent."

After the hearing, Kent Hovind declined to comment, other than to say reports that Dinosaur Land, which offers children's rides, is open.

"We had 1,000 visitors last week," he said.

Escambia County officials closed the science building and museum earlier this year because Hovind failed to get a building permit.

A sign outside Dinosaur Adventure Land states that three grown children and "30 other dedicated people" serve with Hovind "in this unusual ministry." The park is closed Sundays and Mondays.

An employee in a golf cart greeted a visitor Monday morning. He said employees were not allowed to speak about the case and "really don't understand" the issues surrounding the case.

A group of about 20 supporters showed up for the federal hearing but declined to speak.

Last week, Davis ordered Hovind to surrender his passport and guns. Hovind claimed "thousands and thousands" were waiting to hear him speak in South Africa next month. He also claimed the guns belonged to "the church."

Numerous Web sites and blogs about Kent Hovind have been filled with comments during the past few days about the case. Many of the blog comments are sarcastic references to Hovind's failure to "render unto Caesar."

An intelligence report from the Southern Poverty Law Center, a Birmingham, Ala.-based civil liberties organization that tracks hate crimes, quotes Hovind as saying that environmentalism and income taxes are "evil and contrary to God's law." The report also states that Hovind sells anti-Semitic books.

"Every religion has fundamentalists bordering on extremism," the Law Center report states. "Hovind is notable for his wide reception and for his promulgating of conspiracy theories favored by the antigovernment 'Patriot' movement."
When you start by out telling the court that they have no jurisdiction over you, it doesn't paint a pretty picture for the future.
D.
Reason:

_Jim

Post by _Jim » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:18 am

Welp does this mean I don't have to listen to scripture and not submit to ordinances of men lol. Hmmm I wonder what Jesus said about paying taxes .
:D
Jim
Reason:

_djeaton

Post by _djeaton » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:29 am

Jim wrote:Welp does this mean I don't have to listen to scripture and not submit to ordinances of men lol. Hmmm I wonder what Jesus said about paying taxes .
This is coming right out of the "Embassy of Heaven" handbook. If Hovind alligns himself with waccos, he is going to loose his mainstream audience. Of course there will always be some who think he is being "persecuted" for Christ's sake.
D.
Reason:

_Lis

Post by _Lis » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:00 am

Before you assume the secular media is reporting about a Christian accurately, I would suggest you listen to his side of the story. http://cseblogs.com You know the secular media wants to make a laughing stock out of this Christian to make Christians look like hypocrites. Say he is innocent, how would you feel if you were in his shoes? With even your brothers & sisters believing lies about you? And, even if he is guilty, we should still pray for him, for his repentance.

1 Peter 1:22 "Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:"

John 13:34,35 "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another. "

1 Peter 3:8-17 "Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous: Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing. For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile: Let him eschew evil, and do good; let him seek peace, and ensue it. For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil. And who is he that will harm you, if ye be followers of that which is good? But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled; But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ. For it is better, if the will of God be so, that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing. "

God Bless!
~Lis
Reason:

_djeaton

Post by _djeaton » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:44 am

Lis wrote:Before you assume the secular media is reporting about a Christian accurately, I would suggest you listen to his side of the story. http://cseblogs.com You know the secular media wants to make a laughing stock out of this Christian to make Christians look like hypocrites. Say he is innocent, how would you feel if you were in his shoes? With even your brothers & sisters believing lies about you? And, even if he is guilty, we should still pray for him, for his repentance.
I think that the secular media, mainly the local paper and a few sources that have quoted it, has been very fair to Hovind. There hasn't been any huge media blitz by the IRS. But I guess that if you are in Hovind's shoes, any publicity on this matter is too much. As far as them making a fool of him, I don't think he needs any help in that area. All one has to do is read the public records of his court filings and pleadings. No spin is necessary to make this an entertaining story.
D.
Reason:

_Super Sola Scriptura

Post by _Super Sola Scriptura » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:31 am

RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Hovind knows what he is doing.

He knows the Government CANNOT do the things it has done to him, nor require what is has from him or his ministry. Hovind knows American history and the Constitution, you guys apparently don't. No church has to incorporate for tax exempt status. That is giving credence to the government as above the church. The Founders NEVER would have tolerated what our current government has done! Hovind has committed no real crimes, if you simply know the truth about American history. He simply refuses to abide by the current criminals in government who have usurped the Constitution. And the Founders said the if in the future, gov't officials do this, TO OPPOSE THEM. So Hovind is being loyal to the Founders, to the real America. I like how he outwits them by doing everything just below what they require.

To obey Rom 13 is to obey the Founders, not these current interlopers. Jefferson said to remove such people BY FORCE rather than allow their tyranny. How come christians aren't obeying??? The founders were afraid that we would allow gov't to get bigger, not stay informed, and slowly but surely, lose our freedoms that were bought at great price. This has happened. Thank God for an man willing to obey God truly, and follow the founders
Reason:

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:15 am

Super Sola Scriptura wrote:RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Hovind knows what he is doing.

He knows the Government CANNOT do the things it has done to him, nor require what is has from him or his ministry. Hovind knows American history and the Constitution, you guys apparently don't. No church has to incorporate for tax exempt status. That is giving credence to the government as above the church. The Founders NEVER would have tolerated what our current government has done! Hovind has committed no real crimes, if you simply know the truth about American history. He simply refuses to abide by the current criminals in government who have usurped the Constitution. And the Founders said the if in the future, gov't officials do this, TO OPPOSE THEM. So Hovind is being loyal to the Founders, to the real America. I like how he outwits them by doing everything just below what they require.

To obey Rom 13 is to obey the Founders, not these current interlopers. Jefferson said to remove such people BY FORCE rather than allow their tyranny. How come christians aren't obeying??? The founders were afraid that we would allow gov't to get bigger, not stay informed, and slowly but surely, lose our freedoms that were bought at great price. This has happened. Thank God for an man willing to obey God truly, and follow the founders
Why does Hovind need to "outwit[s] them by doing everything just below what they require" if they, the current government authorities, are illegally acting against him? Why doesn't he just do what he thinks is right and trust that if he is obeying God, things will turn out OK?

If obeying Romans 13 is obeying the founding fathers but not the current government, why couldn't you say that we should have obeyed George III and not rebelled in the first place? What makes the founding fathers the only authorities to be obeyed?

If Jefferson said to remove such people BY FORCE, but God said to be subject to the ruling powers, it's not really a dilemma for me which one I should obey.

By the way, I pray for Kent Hovind.
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:59 am

Good points, Michelle!
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”