Non-Calvinist Systematic Theology

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:41 pm

He is a moderate Calvinist (as Derek said, "Kind of Baptistic"). James White thinks of him as an Arminian, and wrote his book "The Potter's Freedom" as a response to Geisler's "Chosen, but Free." Geisler is also a dispensationalist (I have had some non-personal, written debate with him over eschatology— see http://www.wvss.com/forumc/viewtopic.php?t=1468 ).
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:19 pm

Norman Geisler also wrote an excellent book on morality. He subscribes to the "hierarchal" view of morality with respect to moral conflict. He believes that moral imperatives may be arranged in a hierarchy such that when two moral imperatives conflict, one ought to obey the one which is higher in the hierarchy.

For example, suppose you are asked a question, which, if you answered it truthfully, the result would be the loss of another person's life. It would be morally right to lie to save the person's life, for the moral imperative to save a life takes precedence over the moral imperative to be truthful.

Irwin Lutzer, pastor of Moody Church in Chicago (by the way, I attended Winnipeg Bible Institute with Lutzer when we were both first-year students), also wrote a book on morality. He took the moral absolutist view. He believed that if a person faces a moral conflict, he has usually done something wrong to bring about the conflict. If a person must lie to save a life, he would be sinning in Lutzer's view. He would have to confess to the Lord the sin of lying, and ask for forgiveness.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_SoaringEagle

Post by _SoaringEagle » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:11 pm

I understand him to be arminian in all aspects execpt for eternal security, which he believes. It is in this sense I understood him to be a "moderate calvinist", but I could be mistaken.
Reason:

__id_2609

Post by __id_2609 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:59 pm

Systematic Theology - A Pentecostal Perspective by Stanley Horton
I'm on the last chapter. I've found it to be very good. It is the theology of the Assemblies of God which I happen to be a member of. Below is the link to Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Systematic-Theolo ... 317&sr=8-5
Reason:

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”