"The Shack"?

_21centpilgrim

"The Shack"?

Post by _21centpilgrim » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:20 am

Has anybody read The Shack? It seems to be making the rounds and is coming to a church near you if you haven't heard about it yet. It is getting fab reviews. Any thoughts out there?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
"The goal of theology is the worship of God
The posture of theology is on ones knees
The mode of theology is repentance."
Sinclair Ferguson

_Michelle

Post by _Michelle » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:23 am

I've read it and it's very moving. I usually have a hard time with stories where children are in peril, and this one has at its center every mother's worst nightmare. But somehow I got through that and the protagonist's realization of God's love is very thought provoking. In fact, some of the love imagery has stayed in my mind since last summer and has been very comforting.

There were a couple of things that bothered me, however. The first (and I think the author has received a lot of criticism about this) is that there is a passage that seems to have Jesus saying that all religions lead to God. In the time since I read the book, I've heard an interview with the author where he explains that is not what he meant at all. He meant that God can use any means to find a person and draw that person to Christ, the only way we can have reconciliation with God.

My other criticism is more of a personal preference. I know that God knows everything about me, therefore I can be honest about every facet of my life with him; but he's also holy and majestic and deserves my reverence. In this book the Trinity is portrayed in sort of a folksy manner that was a little hard to take sometimes.

In spite of those two reservations, it's a good book about God's love, especially in the tough times of life when it seems like he's abandoned us.
Reason:

_roblaine

Post by _roblaine » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:59 am

I read the book as well. It's amazing how this book is making its way around the Christian community without any real advertising. There does seem to be some opposition to the book for the way that it portrays God, but I wasn’t bothered by it in the least. One popular Christian bookstore in Portland refuses to carry it. The author William P. Young lives in Portland, and the story is set in the NW which makes is appealing to those who know the area. All in all, I would say that this is one book that everyone should put at the top of their list to read. However, it may be difficult to read if you are overly sensitive in regards to suffering and pain. My wife was unable to finish the book, and she cried through much of what she read.

Robin
Reason:
God Bless

_Christopher

Post by _Christopher » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:03 pm

Funny, I've been wondering lately when this book would come up on this forum.

We read it. It's on my wife's favorite books of all time list.

Like Michelle and Robin alluded to, there are some things to get past. The tragedy is tough, and for some the characterization of God is less than reverent let's say. That may be why some Christian book stores won't sell it.

I didn't see it that way though. I saw the book communicating God's desire and invitation to us for intimate relationship (John 16:26-27) and His ability to take even tragedy and turn it into an opportunity for an even deeper intimacy with Him (Rom 8:28 ). In that way, I think it punctuated God's majesty and sovereignty over circumstance. God is able to personally break into our circumstances and rescue us from hurt and our own self-delusions. To me, it's an awesome thing. Kind of like David's ponderings of "what is man?" in Psalm 8.

The odd characterizations of God served to challenge religious paradigms of how we typically visualize God and make Him into something stern and unapproachable. At least I think that was the authors' intent there.

You're right Michelle. The interviews on the God Journey (if that's what you're talking about) help give an understanding of where the author was coming from.

Overall, I was edified by the book. 8)
Reason:
"If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:31-32

_Michelle

Post by _Michelle » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:30 pm

Overall, I was edified by the book. 8)
I was too. Sorry if I sounded more negative, I just wanted to give a well-rounded opinion. :D
Reason:

_21centpilgrim

Post by _21centpilgrim » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:36 pm

Thanks for the responses. I have been very disturbed by the theology that is layed forward in The Shack.
It is communicated in more than one place that God doesn't judge sin, did anyone else pick up on this?

In the book Jesus says that there is equal submission in the Godhead that the Father is submisive to the Son and Holy Spirit just as much as they are to Him and in the same way God is submisive to man.?????

In the book God says that he never forsook Jesus at the cross, that was just how Christ felt. Is this the only thing that Jesus said from the cross that is not reliable?

God is presented as loving and compassionate which is good but it is at the expense and even blatant denial of His just judgement upon sin, His holiness, His having expectations for His children to walk in and fullfill.

I don't understand how the vast amont of reviews and feedback, which many acknowledge it's theological content, lack what would seem to be basic biblical discernment.

Does any of this resonate with you guys out there?

Grace and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, Jeremiah
Reason:
Sinclair Ferguson

_Homer

Post by _Homer » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:27 am

Well, I ordered the book (for my wife; I don't usually read fiction) and I hope I didn't make a mistake per 21centpilgrim's comments.

What say you, shall I give it to her?
Reason:
A Berean

_21centpilgrim

Post by _21centpilgrim » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:02 am

Homer, my 2 cents would be to read it first before giving it to someone else. But if your wife has some trusted discernment go for it.

All for Jesus, Jeremiah
Reason:
Sinclair Ferguson

_Christopher

Post by _Christopher » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:39 pm

Hi Jeremiah,

It's been several months since I've read the book. I don't remember the things you listed jumping out at me.

Perhaps you can quote some of the sentences and give page numbers so we can review them in context? In fiction it's often possible for readers to perceive something that the author doesn't intend to convey. I don't mind reviewing and critiquing those statements though.

I've heard interviews with the author that addressed some of these concerns people have raised and he explains that those are not his beliefs at all.
Reason:
"If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:31-32

_21centpilgrim

Post by _21centpilgrim » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:09 pm

Christopher, would be hapy to.
God not judging-

pg 120 God the Father saying " I don't need to punish people for sin. Sin is it's own punishment, devouring you from the inside."

pg162,163 how everyone is God's child and how God loves and doesn't judge His children, whether or not anyone deserves to go to hell (I believe we all do) isn't brought into the discussion.

Equal submission within the Godhead and the same to man-

pg145 Jesus speaking to a man-" That's the beauty you see in my relationship with Abba and Sarayu(H/S). We are indeed submitted to one another and have been so and always will be. Papa is as much submitted to me as I to him, or Sarayu to me, or Papa to her. Submission is not about authority and it is not about obediance; it is about relationships of love and respect. In fact, we are submitted to you in the same way."

The Father not forsaking Christ-

pg96- " Don't ever think that what my son chose to do didn't cost us dearly. Love always leaves a signifcant mark," she stated softley and gently. " We were ther together." Mack was suprised. " At the cross? Now wait, I thought you left him-you know- My God, my God, why has thou forsaken me?".............." You misunderstand the mystery ther. Regardless of what he felt at that moment, I never left him."
later down the page it speaks of Jesus' sense of forsakenness.

This makes sense if Christ did not bear our sin, and if God does not judge sin. No wrath bore by Christ for us.

No responsabilities or expectations pg 203 -205
Those are not geniune patrs of relationship but just things to have power over and judge people by.

There is more but those are the most glaring. Take a look at scripture and see how people responded when they met God, this book is a 180.
No human writting is perfect, but this book is so full of dangerous distortions of the nature and character of God.
My heart goes out to the young and immature believers who are eating this book up and walking away with a distortion of who God is.

grace and peace, Jeremiah
Reason:
Sinclair Ferguson

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”