Modern Gnostic, Stephan Hoeller, and so on....

_Rick_C

Modern Gnostic, Stephan Hoeller, and so on....

Post by _Rick_C » Mon May 19, 2008 1:01 am

I was referred to: The Gnostic Society (of L.A., California) site about four years ago. A poster @ Beliefnet (on one of their Gnosticism boards) gave me the link. The guy who linked me to The Gnostic Society/Hoeller's lectures was a Gnostic (and former evangelical).

In discussions at Beliefnet on these Gnostic boards (or forums) I made it clear I was not a Gnostic and that I simply wanted to learn more about it; primarily to learn more about Early Church History and the (early) Gnostics it refuted. I wanted a Gnostic "angle" on these things to compare and contrast with what I knew about Early Church History: e.g., I listened to Hoeller's lecture on Mani (founder of Manicheanism) to learn about Augustine's background.

Stephan Hoeller, I've found, is very interesting to listen to (and one of the funniest people I've ever heard on things we (non-dispensational) "Bible-believers" can legitimately laugh at, as well as on New Agey Stuff). Hoeller is a scholar and, while his religion and mine don't fully "meet"; I was and have been very surprised to find how much "good" he has to say about "evangelicals" and how often he agrees with them (us). His critiques of Dan Brown's book (you know its name, lol), and other popular (new agey) stuff that's floating around "out-there"...are virtually in agreement with what conservative evangelicals say about them. I didn't expect this man to be critical of the New Age and popular atheists of our time (Hoeller's "Battle About God" lecture critiques these atheists)....

I must point out that Hoeller really is a modern-day Gnostic and also Jungian. At times he is very critical of "evangelicals" who he usually equates with "fundamentalists" (though the two are not necessarily the same). Many, but not all, of Hoeller's critiques of "fundamentalists" and/or "evangelicals" need to be heard! (another reason I like this man).

Hoeller correctly rebuts "end times madness" in a few of his (free) lectures, some of which are mp3s, others in Real Player format. Hoeller strangely equates the world-wide charismatic movement to gnosticism (which I don't understand). At the same time, his doing so shows his appreciation for certain camps in Christianity (us) "who at least emphasize experience." That is, as opposed to Sacramental forms of Christianity which sees religious experience as a "thing of the past." To put it another way, Hoeller says that in Sacramentalist Christianity "salvation is already accomplished" (and is experienced thru the sacraments, e.g., infant baptism; an "experience" that one cannot remember and thus, can be, and often is, meaningless).

I've asked on another thread if anyone has heard Hoeller, with no reply. Have any of you?

Of course, Hoeller's Christology is Gnostic and thus, heretical to "Bible-believers." I knew this about Gnostics (ancient and modern) before I ever heard him.

His lecture on "Christ, the Misunderstood Redeemer" reflects Hoeller's Gnostic theology (and also has good observations on Liberal Christianity). While I don't accept Hoeller's Christology; he says things that at least this Bible-believer resonates with. What might that be? I'm not sure how to say it. The fact that the Trinity really is a mystery (though we think we understand it essentially, and do to some extent) is what I'm getting at about Hoeller. It's the mystery of experiencing God that I like about Hoeller's thought (though I don't accept his theology, otherwise).

Hoeller often says (in so many words),
"The Christian says: I believe" (certain doctrines or that salvation is a past thing).
and
"The Gnostic says: I do not have to believe---I know" (know-thyself, that would be, and how "God" fits into Gnostic theology; this saying is patently Jungian...which I am not!!!).

Yet once again, where I resonate with Hoeller's 'main thrust' is that we "Bible-believers" believe---and the Bible itself teaches---that we really must know (experience) God. Hoeller really pushes "knowing"...we Christians advocate "knowing God"...there's a similarity and a difference here. At times, one would think Hoeller is an evangelical. Yet at others, he makes it plain he is not!

And he is not.
Warning: Some Christians would probably be highly offended in hearing Hoeller on the "Demiurge." (Gnostics, Hoeller included, believe the God of the OT is an inferior and cruel god as contrasted to the 'higher' gods...of Gnostic definitions). I, myself, can sift through this as I'm listening to learn (thus, not being offended)....
Much like I (am forced to) sift through "word of faith" and "pretrib rapture" when I go to "Bible-believing" churches!!! WhatEVER, :lol: If Hoeller is a "heretic" and the pretrib rapture is "false"...I trust you get my point.

At any rate, I'm curious if any of you have heard Hoeller (click on Web Lectures). I'm not a Gnostic, nor am I really trying to promote Hoeller. But I still think he is worth a listen (so totally hilarious at times; I've listened to him when depressed).
The man's definitely thought provoking, anyway...Thanks, :)
Last edited by _Rich on Sat May 31, 2008 8:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason:
“In Jesus Christ God ordained life for man, but death for himself” -- Karl Barth

_mattrose

Post by _mattrose » Mon May 19, 2008 11:46 am

I have not heard of him. But if I am unable to sleep some night in the near future I will turn to this link :)
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Hemingway once said: 'The world is a fine place and worth fighting for'

I agree with the second part (se7en)

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Tue May 20, 2008 1:05 am

Hi Matt,

I wouldn't necessarily recommend Hoeller's lectures for insomnia (they're too interesting, to me anyway, and you could be up all nite)!

Briefly, some [primary] things we don't agree with him on:
  • --the dating of the Gnostic Gospels and other Gnostic texts
    -- (Hoeller sees some of them as very early)
    -- Hoeller thinks Yahweh is the "Demiurge"
    -- God the Father is not Yahweh...(the Father is another and higher deity)
    -- (nor is Yahweh the Trinitarian God, or a member of the godhead)
    -- Hoeller is Jungian (God doesn't exist outside of our minds or perception)
    -- Danger: in one lecture he "okays" the use of hallucinogens to attain to Gnosis
    -- in another he says they are "useless" (???)
    -- "Salvation is knowing" (as opposed to being saved from sin & its effects)
    -- though Jesus is the "highest of all great teachers"...(there are others)
    -- reincarnation is possible...if not probable (but isn't a main focus)
    -- more really important ones I can't think of right now, sorry
"Christ, the Misunderstood Redeemer" is probably the best one to listen to first. I get something out of it every time I listen...(and would really like to talk to or email this man about several things).

He, like many, misunderstand the doctrine of sin (hamartiology) by seeing it solely as a "moral" problem (that is, he thinks we orthodox folks think the whole thing is all about "personal sins"---and that alone). Of course, sin's consequences are also cosmic...(and Hoeller alludes to that)...how it affects "everything" not just the sins we commit. He seems so close to us in what he believes (at times).

In "Misunderstood" Hoeller praises "even orthodoxy" in that "something is still there"...[after it 'took out' Gnosticism]..."yet something is also missing," he says.

In his historical review of the first three centuries or so, he 'almost touches' what Steve (G.) says about the era. "Before the Councils [of Nicaea, ff.] Jesus was a figure shrouded in mystery," Hoeller says, which is something similar to what Steve says about how at least some Arians were probably legitimately (truly) saved before the Councils (as they weren't heretics yet)....

It makes me wonder if any of the Gnostics could have been saved too (?). But "Gnostics" weren't one group and there were many variations in their beliefs. Valentinus, an early Gnostic, made attempts to stay in the orthodox church...but was denied. If he was a heretic, and I do believe we would consider him such; I wonder what may have happened if he wasn't kicked out (?) or had some kind of compromise happened (?). Who's to say....

Anyways...I'm going to listen to "Misunderstood" again to try to understand it better (the jokes are great and not that I have a thing about understanding...as in, I'm becoming a Gnostic...that I "know" of), God bless, :lol:
Last edited by _Rich on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
“In Jesus Christ God ordained life for man, but death for himself” -- Karl Barth

_Michelle

Post by _Michelle » Thu May 29, 2008 11:00 pm

Hi Rick,

They finally allowed me to download Christ, The Misunderstood Redeemer which I mostly listened to. I will try to finish it tomorrow or this weekend.

I agree that Stephan Hoeller is an interesting man. He has an engaging speaking style that is easy to listen to. He has an awesome accent!

After listening to two of his lectures, however, I don't believe I will be listening to any more. Unless I have a reason (for instance your discussions with a gnostic,) or if I get a sudden urge to know more about gnosticism (I can't imagine that,) I can't justify spending the time or the money to listen to his lectures. If I want someone to "resonate" with about particular doctrines of Christianity, there are plenty of actual Christian teachers that I can listen to, even if I avoid the word-of-faith teachers and those obsessed with the rapture.

Thank you, anyway, for the recommendation. You were right about one thing, I wasn't bored.

By the way, don't you think it's a little unfair to lump those who teach a pre-trib rapture in with the gnostics? I mean, the former may rely on absurd, literal readings of the scriptures, but they at least worship Jesus as written about in those scriptures; the latter use all kinds of weird writings and I'm not sure who they worship.
Reason:

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Fri May 30, 2008 8:04 am

Briefly, some [primary] things we don't agree with him on:

--the dating of the Gnostic Gospels and other Gnostic texts
-- (Hoeller sees some of them as very early)
I am not sure what "very early" means in this context, but it is true that some of the gnostic gospels were written early.

Even the apostle John's test for knowing that a teaching is of the Spirit of God suggests his differentiating from the apostolic church and gnostic groups.

1 John 4:2 By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit which confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God.

Many gnostic groups believed that Jesus was not actually born as a human being, but appeared as a man in the way that angels sometimes do. Their mistake was not in denying the deity of Christ, but His humanity.

The elder John also seems to refer to gnostics in the following passage:

2 John 1:7 For many deceivers have gone out into the world, men who will not acknowledge the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh; such a one is the deceiver and the antichrist.

According to Wikipedia, the Gospel of Truth was written sometime between 140 A.D. and 180 A.D. and the Gospel of our Lord was also written in the second century.

Wikipedia also states that concering the Gospel of Thomas there are two camps of scholars, "the early camp" who believe it was written between 50 A.D. and 100 A.D. and "the late camp" who believe it was written in the second century.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Sat May 31, 2008 4:26 am

Paidion,

GTh (Gospel of Thomas) in its final form we have now is dated no earlier than the middle of the 2nd century. That is, with the vast the majority of scholars. However, folks like Stephan Hoeller and Elaine Pagels argue for an earlier dating.

Hoeller essentially says some Gnostic Gospels are as early or even earlier than the canonicals! Scholarship doesn't support this. Rather, this is simply Hoeller's (and also Pagels') "belief," imo. Pagels has consistently avoided the serious scholarship on this matter for years. Of course, both she and Hoeller "have a right to their beliefs" though I feel they're unsupported and irrational....

While it's true some Gnostics did not believe Jesus lived in a "real body"; there was no consensus about this among Gnostic groups. They appear to have been separate local sects without contact with the others, (as opposed to being catholic or universal), and with their having varying belief systems.

I have some audio links on this I'll post later (I've posted a couple already on the Resurrection thread, by Dane, the featheredprop).
----------------------------

Michelle,

The Gnostic guy I met @ Beliefnet was a former "born-again" evangelical. We debated some in a friendly way, such as on the dating of GTh. But for the most part, I wanted to learn what Gnostics believe (both ancient and modern kinds). This man was really helpful in explaining what "modern-day Gnostics" believe and helped me with Church History also. I'd read the Early Fathers and some Gnostic texts. The guy helped me understand Church History better (is what I'm getting at)....

And: Yes, Hoeller has a cool (Hungarian) accent and is interesting to hear. His overall view toward history, in that he speaks of it broadly, appeals to me a lot (as a Bible & Doctrinal/Church History Buff).

I've never paid for Hoeller's lectures (only hearing the free ones).
Maybe you had to pay for them because you live in California? for some reason? (but you're done listening to him anyway, so whatever), :wink:

Eleven minutes into the "Battle About God" lecture is one of the funniest things I've heard in YEARS, rofl...(this one lady laffs by herself which makes it triply funnier, even)...but anyways, :lol: :lol: :lol:

Again: I sift thru stuff (while weighing it all out).
It might be LaHaye, Hoeller, Pagels, Crossan, Ehrman....
or others I know I agree with more-so, like: Barth, Wright, Hurtado, Steve (G.), etc.

Btw, I read some good book reviews @ Amazon on Hoeller's "Gnosticism" book (and on a couple of Pagels'). I thought about linking to one or two of them...but been up all nite & Bedtime! Thanks :)
Last edited by _Rich on Sat May 31, 2008 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:

_Michelle

Post by _Michelle » Sat May 31, 2008 10:06 am

Rick_C wrote: Michelle,

The Gnostic guy I met @ Beliefnet was a former "born-again" evangelical. We debated some in a friendly way, such as on the dating of GTh. But for the most part, I wanted to learn what Gnostics believe (both ancient and modern kinds). This man was really helpful in explaining what "modern-day Gnostics" believe and helped me with Church History also. I'd read the Early Fathers and some Gnostic texts. The guy helped me understand Church History better (is what I'm getting at)....
If I met and had discussions with a guy like that, I would probably revisit Hoeller's site to learn more about what the gnostics are teaching.
And: Yes, Hoeller has a cool (Hungarian) accent and is interesting to hear. His overall view toward history, in that he speaks of it broadly, appeals to me a lot (as a Bible & Doctrinal/Church History Buff).
Alrighty then
I've never paid for Hoeller's lectures (only hearing the free ones).
Maybe you had to pay for them because you live in California? for some reason? (but you're done listening to him anyway, so whatever), :wink:
They offer free lectures on a rotating basis and the rest are offered for a small fee. I listened to one of the free ones, which was ghastly, so I wanted to listen to the particular one you recommended, which had rotated off the free list. I don't think it has anything to do with being in California.
Eleven minutes into the "Battle About God" lecture is one of the funniest things I've heard in YEARS, rofl...(this one lady laffs by herself which makes it triply funnier, even)...but anyways, :lol: :lol: :lol:
Okay :D

(you might need funnier friends)
Again: I sift thru stuff (while weighing it all out).
It might be LaHaye, Hoeller, Pagels, Crossan, Ehrman....
or others I know I agree with more-so, like: Barth, Wright, Hurtado, Steve (G.), etc.
Well, good for you. Hopefully, everyone who follows you up on your recommendations will "sift thru stuff (while weighing it all out)" as well.
Btw, I read comments @ Amazon on Hoeller's "Gnosticism" book (and on a couple of Pagels'). They were really good. I thought about linking to one or two of them...but been up all nite & Bedtime! Thanks :)
I don't understand...the comments themselves are good and would be worthwhile for discussion, or the reviews are positive which makes you realize the books are good?
Reason:

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Sat May 31, 2008 2:46 pm

Michelle,
I edited my last post in bold to clear up what I meant.
---------------

Anyone,
I've listened to all 20 of the free lectures available @
Gnostic Society: Web Lectures Page.
(The blue ones in the left column and all that are above "Other Lectures Available in the New Catalog:").
---------------

Other audio links of relevance:
From Mike Licona's Risen Jesus site:
Description:
On March 26, 2005, New Testament historian Mike Licona and Princeton distinguished professor of religion Elaine Pagels discussed the historicity of the resurrection of Jesus on The Ron Insana Show (37 minutes).
Not just the resurrection of Jesus from alternate (Gnostic and non-Gnostic) viewpoints; their theologies are discussed and debated as well.

Orthodox Church History by an EO guy named Jeff McDonald. He covers Gnosticism in several of the lectures. An excellent source on things about Early Fathers, Councils, and Augustinianism and Calvinism, also.

Darrell Bock Audio Interview: Apocryphal Gospels
Description:
In this interview, Dr. Darrell Bock discusses the recently discovered "Missing Gospels" — Gospels of Thomas, Gospel of Peter, and Gospel of Judas. Dr. Bock is Research Professor of New Testament Studies at Dallas Theological Seminary.
This goes into more technical matters like dating of the Gnostic Gospels, an introduction to N.T Apocrypha, and detailed stuff that's more related to Stephan Hoeller (and/or other "modern-day Gnostics").

Dr. Richard Bauckham on "Gospels" (canonical and non-canonical)
Description:
November 14, 2007, Dr. Richard Bauckham at WSC
The Westminster Students Association had the honor of inviting one of the world's leading New Testament scholars, Dr. Richard Bauckham (Ph.D., Professor of New Testament at the University of St. Andrews) to give a free lecture entitled "The Four Gospels and the Other Gospels: Is Our Canon Right?"

All I have for now, thanks, :)
Last edited by _Rich on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”