Jewish New Testament

_Jill

Jewish New Testament

Post by _Jill » Fri May 14, 2004 11:51 pm

A friend recomended that I get a Jewish New Testament for more accuracy in bible studies. I didn't even know there was one. I am a little suspicious that it might be biased towards the law. Does anyone know if it is the same New Testament, or is it different? Thanks.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Sat May 15, 2004 3:44 am

Hi Jill,
There are a growing number of Christians who have become enamored with "all things Jewish." They have somewhere gotten the impression that the Jews have a better grasp of Christianity because of the latter's "Jewish roots." They sometimes attend "Messianic synagogues" and keep the Jewish feasts with a messianic application. They also have a "Jewish New Testament" which is thought to better reflect the Jewish character of the original writings. This is all connected with certain assumptions about the role of Israel in the end times, and the alleged restoration of Judaism in a messianic form in the last days.

The term "Jewish New Testament" is an oxymoron. The New Testament was written in Greek, not Hebrew, so Jewish people would not be in a better position to translate it properly than would anyone else trained in Koine Greek. The New Covenant is not "Jewish." It is multi-ethnic. There is no longer a distinction between Jews and Gentiles in the New Covenant (Col.3:10-11/ Gal.3:27-28), and God has broken down the middle wall of partition that once alienated the two ethnic groups (Eph.2:14-15). The Messianic Jews, and the Gentile Christians who follow them, are actually going a long way toward rebuilding that wall.

As for the "Jewish roots" of Christianity, there are two ways to look at this. On the one hand, there is the Judaism of Moses and the Prophets. This Old Testament Judaism is indeed valuable to understand in order to appreciate much of what Jesus did and taught, though any Gentile can acquaint himself with it as adequately as can any Jew, simply by studying the Old Testament (it isn't rocket science).

On the other hand, there is Rabbinic Judaism, or Talmudism, which was the religion of the Pharisees. This religion is today called "Orthodox Judaism." It is only in terms of this latter, man-made "Judaism" that a cultural Jew would be more knowledgable than a Gentile Christian, but there is nothing in this Rabbinic Judaism that belongs to Christianity or its "roots."

It is true that Jesus and the apostles were ethnic and observant Jews, but Jesus was so at odds with the rabbinic Judaism of His day, that nothing about it should be regarded as belonging to His roots. His relationship with that system was expressed repeatedly when He said, "You have heard that it was said to them of old time [i.e., by the rabbis]...but I say to you..." (Matt.5:21-48). Jesus rebuked the Pharisees for elevating the rabbinic traditions to the level of scripture (Mark 7:6-9), and it is in the admiration of these very traditions that the Messianic movement differs, principally, from ordinary, garden-variety Christianity.

I have always found the Jews and their religion interesting to study, but that is a very different thing from importing their practices into Christian worship. I believe that the book of Galatians was written primarily to counter this trend among certain early congregations. You need not be averse to reading, sometimes, from a "Jewish New Testament," so long as you do not get the impression that it contains insights into Christianity that are superior to those that you might get from reading any good translation.

Christianity and Judaism are religions in conflict with one another. The Sanhedrin (controled by the Jewish priesthood and presided over by the high priest) was the first persecutor of Christianity—killing both Jesus and Stephen, and making many attempts on Peter, John and Paul's lives as well. Today's Judaism is not a continuation of Mosaic (Old Testament) Judaism. The latter was all about a temple, a priesthood and animal sacrifices. Modern Judaism has none of these features, and is simply a religion of the Talmud—a book that blasphemes Jesus as an accursed sorcerer, the illegitimate son of a naughty girl.

The New Testament condemns this man-made Jewish religion of the rabbis (Mark 7:7/ Gal.4:9-11/ Col.2:20-23), just as the Talmud itself condemns Christianity. One is the religion of Jesus Christ and the other is the religion of Satan (John 8:44/Rev.2:9; 3:9). What fellowship has light with darkness (2 Cor.6:14)?

A study of the Old Testament and of the history of the intertestamental period will yield all the familiarity with the Jewish background of the New Testament you will ever need. I would avoid adopting anything from the Messianic Jewish movement. It is simply a resurgence of the error of the Galatians, which Paul labeled as foolish bewitchery (Gal.3:1).

Mind you, I have nothing against Jewish people—whether Messianic or otherwise. I am only commenting on a religious movement that mixes the faith once delivered to the saints with elements of a non-Christian religion—a real bad idea!
Last edited by FAST WebCrawler [Crawler] on Sat May 15, 2004 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_Jill

Thanks

Post by _Jill » Sat May 15, 2004 2:57 pm

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. You made some good points. The word "Jewish" in the title of a New Testament did worry me that it would somehow be biased or slanted, and now I'm glad I asked about it. I had not known about the messianic movement, and I do not know the Old Testament as well as I should. I will look into it.

But I did recently read Galatians and I agree that Paul gave some pretty clear warnings about not going backwards and mixing the law into their worship. He said those who did that would even be separated from Christ and be fallen away from grace. If I ever do look at a Jewish New Testament, I will be careful.
Bye,
Jill
Reason:

_Priestly1

Messianic Rabbi Stern's "Jewish New Testament"

Post by _Priestly1 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:25 pm

I once bought this N.T., studied it and then gave it away. It is a Version for Messianic Jews who wish to alienate themselves from their Gentile Brethren in Messiah and seek to justify their continued observance of Jewish Oral Law as well as what I see as true "Judaizing".

See, Steve! I too think this Version is goofy! I said it! Me the Sabbath & Sunday Observing Nazarani!! LOL!

As for the Messiah and His New Covenant not being Jewish....PLEAAAAASE STEVE! LOL. Just because Messiah has adopted wild olive branches into His Olive Tree of Messianic Israel, does not make the Cultivated Olive Tree non-Israelite! Oye Vay. I hope some time we could debate this issue. As you know, we in the Mar Thoma Nazarani Church of the East (as do all Orthodox and RCs I believe), see the Congregation of the Elect (i.e. the Church of Israel, God's Bride) as birthed in Egypt and Chartered at Pentacost before MT.Horeb. Now not all Israel is among the Elect. There are pruned branches we call unbelieving Jewry. But the Life Giving Root of the Olive Tree (i.e. Israel of God) is Messiah the Rock, who lead them as Groom out of Egypt. He cast off the False Shepherds of Israel (i.e. The Sanhedrin of the Sadducees, Scribes and Pharasees) and Chose 12 New Judges and Elders of Israel.

These Elders of Israel received the Jewish Messiah's New Covenant on behalf of the remnant of the House of Israel and Judah. This took place on Nisan 14, 3790/ April 3, 30 CE. At Pentacost when the Believing remnant of Israel and Judah awaited the Promise of the Holy Spirit, God ratified Messiah's New Covenant with Israel & Judah when He filled them with His power. Thus was done before All Israel which were gathered from afar off to celebrate Israel's Covenant Charter with God and First Fruits. Now Peter says that this Covenant, THIS messiah and this Promise is for Israel and their Children..even for those who are far away from God (i.e. Gentiles). So to say that the New Covenant , It's Messiah and the Church continued in it is not Jewish seems goofy.

Just because I have estranged children and choose to adopt some others in their place does not make me a new family, or two families. Adopted kids are Family.... just as adopted Gentiles are spiritual Jews according to Paul. The Bible was written by Israelite "Jews" who spoke and read Classic Hebrew, Exilic Aramaic and Koine Greek....but this does not make them unJewish. The Concepts, Idioms, phrases, word order and usage is clearly Jewish by all scholarly studies. Ancient christianity is the Israelite Faith of the Jewish Followers of the Messiah of Israel. It is the rival of Talmudic Judaism..both of which arose within 2nd Temple Judaism. This is Fact Steve. Just because Messiah and His Church of Israel accepts and adopts Gentiles into the New Covenant Commonwealth, does not make the Nazaraean Way less Jewish. Zionist Israel is a creation of brutalized unbelieving Jewry of every stripe and flavor.....it does not represent The Commonwealth of Israel under Messiah, but it does exist because of God Mercies and promises to their Ancestors. They shall one day all repent and cry out,"Blessed is He who comes in YHVH's Name." Then, as Paul puts it so well, shall the dead arise and their long awaited Messiah shall return..for He must remain in heaven until all prophesy is fulfilled. Sorry, I know Historic Premillenialism isn't your bag.....but nonetheless this is what we believe.

God even says he shall not persist in His separation from Israel, but He shall redeem her and wed her. God is not a Divorcee like you and I, he will marry His Bride when He returns for Her at His Second Advent. The Church is Israel, and unbelieving pruned Jewry shall again be grafted in to their Native Olive Tree..and All Israel shall be saved.

I know this view irritates those who feel God divorced that adulterer and stubborn Church of Israel for another more pliable Bride you call the Church of Christ. But the New Covenant, as are all the Covenants, promised to Abraham and His People Israel. Paul states this clearly. Jeremiah states who the Messiah and the New Covenant are for...Israel & Judah, and Gentiles get the benefits of this Miracle too. Since when is Messiah promised to Gentiles outside of His role as Israel's Messiah? Since when is Salvation of the Gentiles? I remember Messiah saying to a Samaritan," you Samaritans worship what you have no understanding of, but we Jews worship what we understand, for salvation is Jewish. Yet a time is near, and is here now, when true worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth, for the Father seeks such as these to worship Him." The Point is Clear, all are called to Worship the God of Israel in spirit and truth. And this takes place in the Jewish Messiah of Israel, for Salvation is of the Jews (i.e. Jewish).

In Messiah,
Ken Huffman
Reason:

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”