Emergent Church Leader: Gay "OK" Biblical Lifestyle

TK

Emergent Church Leader: Gay "OK" Biblical Lifestyle

Post by TK » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:20 pm

Suzana

Re: Emergent Church Leader: Gay "OK" Biblical Lifestyle

Post by Suzana » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:09 pm

from the article:
Despite recounting his earlier days of arguing that "biblical prohibitions to homosexual sex should be taken seriously," Jones admits his experiences and feelings led him toward a different conclusion.
At judgement time, he must be hoping for "well done, good and faithful servant, for you have stayed true to your feelings..."
"And yet," Jones writes, "all the time I could feel myself drifting toward acceptance that gay persons are fully human persons and should be afforded all of the cultural and ecclesial benefits that I am."
As far as I understand it, the benefits of repentance are available to all.
Suzana

mikew

Post by mikew » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:04 pm

Thanks for the quote Suzana.
Suzana wrote:from the article:
"And yet," Jones writes, "all the time I could feel myself drifting toward acceptance that gay persons are fully human persons and should be afforded all of the cultural and ecclesial benefits that I am."
As far as I understand it, the benefits of repentance are available to all.
This is a bit scary and it seems that Jones needed to change his thinking. How did he ever not think that "gay persons are fully human persons"? His thinking, if a little better toward people, might yet be off in attitude toward scripture.

Maybe he was just using this as a method of persuasion and thereby saying that the people left behind still hold that position. At minimal then Jones wasn't making a fair statement.
Please visit my youtube channel -- http://youtube.com/@thebibledialogues
Also visit parablesofthemysteries.com

RickC

Post by RickC » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:19 am

I read this story on a blog a couple days ago.

It should be mentioned that Tony Jones, a "leader" @ Emergent Village, has taken (theologically) liberal stances before. This recent position comes as no surprise to me.

This brings up the distinction between "emergent" and "emerging." "Emergents" has been used to describe those who have been bordering on theological-liberalism for some time now. Tony Jones has now fully crossed that border. "Emerging (or emergers)" is the broader term describing "a new generation of evangelicals" many of which are younger, though not necessarily so.

Conflicts among the "emergers" have gone on for a while. Certain ones have distanced themselves from the liberal wing of the movement. Some have taken a stand against it/them and essentially withdrew from it.

Here's an audio link to one such "emerger's" thoughts on the movement:
from an "insider's" POV:
Mark Driscoll, @ Convergence Conf., 2007, Session 3

I hope it's the right link: I loaded it some time back and had to google the URL as I couldn't find it in my bookmarks. Driscoll gives an excellent overview of the history of the movement and tells why he, essentially, "left."

It will be interesting to see if Scott McKnight says anything about this. His "Jesus Creed" blog is now @ Beliefnet (he may have already, I haven't checked). In times past he has been in on discussion panels hosted by Emergent Village. I wonder if he might also "distance himself" from the "emergents" now(?). I know McKnight believes homosexual practice is sinful.

P.S.
Yep. right link, I just checked.
Don't miss it, ;)

P.S.S.
I now remember I saw this being discussed/debated on Tony Jones' Beliefnet blog.

At any rate, God bless, :)

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”