The Great Controversy - Ellen G. White (and a note for RND)

Michelle

The Great Controversy - Ellen G. White (and a note for RND)

Post by Michelle » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:16 am

Hey RND,

You piqued my curiosity when you posted this rant on the Old Testament forum:
Yeah, I understand your point and if I may I would certainly disagree with you. I see the state of the dead question vitally important for understanding the future of this world and the definitely signs we need to look for to indicate the deception that is sure to come. Satan we are told can come in the form of a "messanger of light" and because the "coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with the work of Satan displayed in all kinds of counterfeit miracles, signs and wonders." If we are not sure exactly what is taught in scripture how do we know for sure we won't be fooled?

I know people roll their eye when I make a point, especially when I use the writings of Ellen White to do so. But read carefully the warning contained here:

"Through the two great errors, the immortality of the soul and Sunday sacredness, Satan will bring the people under his deceptions. While the former lays the foundation of spiritualism, the latter creates a bond of sympathy with Rome. The Protestants of the United States will be foremost in stretching their hands across the gulf to grasp the hand of spiritualism; they will reach over the abyss to clasp hands with the Roman power; and under the influence of this threefold union, this country will follow in the steps of Rome in trampling on the rights of conscience.

As spiritualism more closely imitates the nominal Christianity of the day, it has greater power to deceive and ensnare. Satan himself is converted, after the modern order of things. He will appear in the character of an angel of light. Through the agency of spiritualism, miracles will be wrought,the sick will be healed, and many undeniable wonders will be performed. And as the spirits will profess faith in the Bible, and manifest respect for the institutions of the church, their work will be accepted as a manifestation of divine power.

The line of distinction between professed Christians and the ungodly is now hardly distinguishable. Church members love what the world loves and are ready to join with them, and Satan determines to unite them in one body and thus strengthen his cause by sweeping all into the ranks of spiritualism. Papists, who boast of miracles as a certain sign of the true church, will be readily deceived by this wonder-working power; and Protestants, having cast away the shield of truth, will also be deluded. Papists, Protestants, and worldlings will alike accept the form of godliness without the power, and they will see in this union a grand movement for the conversion of the world and the ushering in of the long-expected millennium." - The Great Controversy page 589

The reason I offer this quote is the obvious trends that have been taking place in the country in just the last few years. The proliferation of television shows about ghost chasing, haunted houses, poltergeists, et al have risen dramatically in just the last few years. I did not use this quotation to say, "see this was prophesied by EGW" because it wasn't, it was clearly prophesied by the scriptures. We are in the throws of the process aimed at "normalizing" what God considers to be an abomination. <----end of rant.
Your rant, for me at least, made some of the peculiarities about your discussion style suddenly make sense — not that I agree, but I think I see where you are coming from. Well, I say I can see where you are coming from, but I really don't have a clear picture because I know next to nothing about what Ellen G. White had to say. There were almost 600 pages leading up to that quote, so, although my first instinct is to think it is misguided, commenting on it out of context is unfair. I ordered the book and, hopefully, plan to read it soon (no promises though; I'm hopelessly behind in my reading and have stacks of books I plan to read someday...)

TK

Re: The Great Controversy - Ellen G. White (and a note for RND)

Post by TK » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:47 am

Art Katz, who died over a year ago, had this to say about end time deceptions. I just came across this yesterday:
“It is remarkable how taking opposition to the issue of current revival phenomena is already a factor in separating believers in churches. If there are powerful deceptions at work, we look forward to a day in which those who have been deceived would recognize it, and deeply repent, that they would be restored to God, and in that restoration, be made fit to stand in the last days. In other words, I believe the Lord will get His value out of what is presently taking place in His church.

What we are experiencing is not so much the deception in itself, but the final consummation and consequence of a longer standing softness and shallowness in the faith. Our giddy desires have finally resulted in manifestations of false signs and wonders, which have been made possible by what preceded them: the lack of a disciplined faith in a people who have been moved toward experience rather than the Word, and by soft pastors who are afraid to offend and thus speak only general, biblical messages. Our present condition is the summation of an error of spirit that has had a long history, and now we are fast coming to a day of reckoning.

It is not out of place to consider our present condition to be analogous to the crucifixion of Jesus by the Jewish nation. It was not the sin in itself, but the final consummation and statement of a longer standing Jewish apostasy that finally had its outworking in that tragic crime. To say that that was the thing in itself, and not to see that it was preceded by a history of apostasy, is to miss the point. We are reaping the harvest of what these last decades of charismatic casualness and evangelical indifference have sown. This lack of discipline is now coming to roost in phenomena that are of a seriously, dubious kind. In running after places, making of them a kind of Mecca, we act as though God is only to be found there, and this is a continuation of the same kind of propensity toward mindless deception.

In my opinion, we have already come to the point of no return, in view of the fact that so many believers have become open and susceptible to the kinds of things that are now taking place. God surely wants us to pray for those in this lamentable condition. We have a whole generation being raised up that has never known the holiness of God, and who talk about God too glibly. But which God? I am even wondering if the central personalities leading the revival phenomena have covenanted with someone other than God, and do not even know it themselves. In some Faustian way, they are receiving a power to affect bodies and lives that they thought was coming from God. In response to their cry for something to happen, these souls really think that they are thereby communicating with God as well as being a channel for Him. We need to be continually reminded of the last days’ deceptions, of things false and deceitful:
“For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. Therefore it is not surprising if his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness, whose end will be according to their deeds” ( 2 Corinthians 11:13-15).

We need to be sobered by statements of this kind. Satan’s devices and wiles are uncanny. The most powerful of them is that which is not an appeal to our carnality, but an appeal to the spiritual realm, but spirituality of what kind?

Even if what we have been observing in recent years is not the lying signs and wonders about which we have been warned as characteristic of the last days, when those lying signs and wonders do come, how will they be substantially different in form and appearance from the signs and wonders we presently see? How will we exercise then the discernment that we are incapable of exercising now? There will be signs, wonders, miracles, demonstrations of power, accompanied by much ostensible benefit for the recipients. But they will be lying or false signs and wonders, and if we are concerned only with the benefit of them, and not all that much with their source, we will not be able to discern the one from the other.

PRAYER:

Lord, we appeal to You in Your great mercy. Come, my God, and breathe a sense of Yourself to congregations who have never known You as they ought. In our mindless superficiality, we have made ourselves candidates for deceptions of many kinds. We lack a broken spirit. We are not chastised or affected by what is going on. We celebrate the things that are contradictory to Your holiness and say that they are from You.

Lord, we are in a low and pitiful state, and if these are not the last days’ deceptions, of which You have warned us, how shall we be guarded from that which shall come? How will we recognize it then, if we are unable now to exercise even the most minimal cautions and discernments? Lord, I am appealing to Your mercy. Who is the greater candidate for deception than he who thinks that his spirituality is so secure that he cannot be deceived?

Lord, we ask that You bring Your humility and brokenness to the church to save it from these terrible things. We look to You, Lord, and know that You are going to have a church that will be a glory to your name forever, that Israel will be restored through the good offices of Your church, through its mercy and through its witness.

Grant us fresh strength to go on and be what we ought to be in Your sight, and to Your people, as these last days become indeed so much the fulfillment of that of which we have been warned. We look to You and thank You for Your precious provision of Your Word, Your Spirit, and the church itself in its configuration as a body of believers who can speak the truth in love, that can exhort and encourage one another daily, speak to each other as we ought, and receive from each other what can only come to us through Your church, Your great sanctifying provision to save us, so that we might not have to stand before You with shame at the day of Your appearing, but with joy to hear the precious words, ‘Well done good and faithful servant.’ In Your holy name we ask it. Amen.”

Jill

Post by Jill » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:59 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RND

Post by RND » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:44 pm

Michelle wrote:Your rant, for me at least, made some of the peculiarities about your discussion style suddenly make sense — not that I agree, but I think I see where you are coming from.
Thanks Michelle for at least being willing to understand me a little better and understand the POV of where I'm coming from. I would like to add that not all of my beliefs were hones in the SDA church. I had questions about the state of the dead long before I became an Adventist. Thanks again for looking beyond my rants for the deeper meaning of what I believe.
Well, I say I can see where you are coming from, but I really don't have a clear picture because I know next to nothing about what Ellen G. White had to say. There were almost 600 pages leading up to that quote, so, although my first instinct is to think it is misguided, commenting on it out of context is unfair. I ordered the book and, hopefully, plan to read it soon (no promises though; I'm hopelessly behind in my reading and have stacks of books I plan to read someday...)
Wow, that's great Michelle that you would go so far as to order this classic and examine the book on your own. That says loads about you character. I was blown away myself just the other day when I found that The Great Controversy was carried on the CCEL web site.

Thanks again Michelle.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

RND

Post by RND » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:49 pm

In the end, it will all come down to this:

"The wine of Babylon is the exalting of the false and spurious sabbath above the Sabbath which the Lord Jehovah hath blessed and sanctified for the use of man, also [it is] the immortality of the soul. These kindred heresies, and the rejection of the truth, convert the church into Babylon. Kings, merchants, rulers, and religious teachers are all in corrupt harmony. She has given to the world a false sabbath instead of the Sabbath of the fourth commandment, and has repeated the lie Satan first told to Eve in Eden--the natural immortality of the soul. Many kindred errors she has spread far and wide, "teaching for doctrines the commandments of men." {2SM 68.2}{3SM 405.3}

Click the image for an in-depth study:

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”