Have you read David Bercot?

SamIam

Have you read David Bercot?

Post by SamIam » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:55 pm

Have you read "Will the Real Heretics Please Stand Up?"

What do you think of Bercot's conclusions about the early Christians?

steve

Re: Have you read David Bercot?

Post by steve » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:43 pm

I have read it, many years ago. As I recall, I agree with most of his conclusions.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:23 am

I really like David Bercot. My favorite book of his is "A Dictionary of Early Christian Beliefs" (it's a quote book from the early church fathers). I did enjoy, and agree with, most of "Will the real heretics please stand up." And I recently bought, but have not yet read, "The Kingdom that turned the world upside down"

PR

Post by PR » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:48 am

I read David's work and listened to several of his teachings years ago. I'm sure that he has led many to examine the early father's writings and compare them with our own understanding of scripture. I remember at the time that David was working out his own conclusions, even to the point of considering joining the Anglican church. His website, http://www.earlychurch.com, is worth examining.

The whole experience caused me to reexamine some of my mainstream evangelical doctrinal beliefs. Like some others, I even considered joining one of the ancient churches for a time. The premise that some of these men were once or twice removed from the Apostles themselves has to be seriously considered.

I think that David may give a little more weight to the early father's writings then I would. But it's hard to dismiss their understanding in certain areas such as baptism for example.

Thanks,

Phil

Suzana

Post by Suzana » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:47 pm

Hi, thanks for the interesting link. (I just realised I haven't done much reading about the early Christian history, just gleaned things here and there).
One quote from the article:

"One distinguishing mark of the early Christians was their childlike, literal obedience to the teachings of Jesus and the apostles. They didn't feel they had to understand the reason for a commandment before they would obey it. They just trusted that God's way was always the best way. Clement asked, “Who then is so irreverent as to disbelieve God, and to demand explanations from God as from men?”

I remember when my children were little, how it would really annoy me if, when I asked them a question, they replied with "Why?" I repeatedly told them that, out of respect to me as a parent, they should first answer the question asked, then, if they felt they needed to, ask why.
I wonder how often we annoy, or grieve, God.
Suzana

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”